Show us your new knife!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
STPepper9

Re: Show us your new knife!

Post by STPepper9 »

Got this in Nov. Thanks to Mark and Sue for special ordering this 365mm for me.
Daovua
Attachments
3A3DA8F9-F69B-4FC2-A8B4-2063C611AABF_1_105_c.jpeg
trancher

Post by trancher »

STPepper9 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:24 am Got this in Nov. Thanks to Mark and Sue for special ordering this 365mm for me.
Daovua
:shock:

Looks like that baby is ready for the kitchen or the battlefield. 8-)

Great looking saya and handle - wood really pops.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

STPepper9 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:24 am Got this in Nov. Thanks to Mark and Sue for special ordering this 365mm for me.
Daovua
Awesome Daovua. Is the steel leaf spring or 52100?
Ricardo
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Leaf spring I think
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Daovua
That is way cool Jesse!
What a great idea and execution.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

... And just like that the 270mm slicers are sold out, haha. :lol:

Order some 300mm slicers next time too!
Sam
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

Well, I certainly can’t claim any of the credit on this one. That’s how it came.
I had had my eye on the “big daddy slicer” a while back and was disappointed that they weren’t being offered anymore. I have use for a nice long sujihiki, but not enough to justify spending a ton of money.
Mark and Sue were kind enough to bring one in for me and luckily, it had a saya.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

So, this is an exciting one for me. I just received a custom made knife per my specifications from taz575! :D

It is 225mm long, 52mm tall, about 3.2mm at the spine, and 80crV2 carbon steel at 62hrc. The profile is basically a taller, longer version of a Kurosaki Raijin, and the handle is sandwich construction with reddish wood laminate scales and white paper micarta liner and frame.

I didn't get a lot of kitchen time today because I had lots of foundation work to do on my house, but initial impressions are very good. It has a bit of heft to it, it's about 7.8 oz., balancing slightly forward, which is my preference, and feels very comfortable so far. The thickish spine is very nicely rounded, most comfortable spine I've ever had on a knife. It feels almost bizarrely similar to the 240mm Gihei I had for a bit, but a more thinned out version of that, which bodes well. I actually almost decided to send that Gihei to taz to thin out, but decided to sell it in order to make up the funds to buy this custom.

So far it has only tasted carrots and tomatoes I cut for lunch. Can't wait for it to start developing some patina. Here are some pics:
Attachments
TJKekoaGyuto.JPG
TJCustomSandwichPrep.JPG
TJCustomCarrotSlice.JPG
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Congratulations on a great custom knife! The 80crV2 monosteel will patina very nicely.
Ricardo
trancher

Post by trancher »

Great job, Taz and great looking blade, Kekoa. Glad to see the postal service came through for ya'll today.

Looking forward to seeing more of this beauty around on the boards soon! :)
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

I just got this little guy, a Kyoshi Shindo Enjin SRK8 Funayuki 165mm. It took a little work to get it just how I like it but wow it's a great knife! I was very hesitant because of the iron cladding and have been looking at it for a while but now I can say this was definitely a good purchase.
Attachments
PXL_20240409_211947310.MP-min.jpg
Sam
trancher

Post by trancher »

ex1580 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:57 pm I just got this little guy, a Kyoshi Shindo Enjin SRK8 Funayuki 165mm. It took a little work to get it just how I like it but wow it's a great knife! I was very hesitant because of the iron cladding and have been looking at it for a while but now I can say this was definitely a good purchase.
They seem to punch way above their price point. Nice knives. Great buy!

Curious if it was the height/gyuto like tip that sold you on this. That's why I got mine (regular Shindo).
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

trancher wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:17 pm They seem to punch way above their price point. Nice knives. Great buy!

Curious if it was the height/gyuto like tip that sold you on this. That's why I got mine (regular Shindo).
I do like that shape, it's like a short gyuto. I bet the kiri cleaver is fun too. I really wanted to try the SRK8 steel so all of this added up and I would have bought it a long time ago were it stainless cladding. I don't see the iron being a problem though. It's actually a very nice knife to sharpen.
Sam
ScottsoSmith

Post by ScottsoSmith »

682BA014-FFE6-4D1C-8210-2E408D4DEBC5.jpeg
Moritaka 210 Guyto. My first, but definitely not last Japanese Kitchen knife!!
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

ScottsoSmith wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:17 pm 682BA014-FFE6-4D1C-8210-2E408D4DEBC5.jpeg

Congrats - a very nice choice! :)
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Well, I sorta have two new knives! I just posted about the one in another thread about a new handle. It was a knife I bought "like new" and put a new handle on. In this case, it was a Yoshikane Tsuchime SKD 240mm, to which I attached a Konosuke-style Khii ebony handle. https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... 8&start=20

But the "new" new knife I'm posting about here is an impulse buy. I have been slowly replacing most of my fully reactive knives. Following a rule of thumb I try to hold, I also try to never have more nice knives than I can ever have at hand, which means fewer than 20 gyutos. In this case, I recently sent off a beloved Konosuke Fujiyama from the Morihiro era in Blue #1. I loved the knife and would have never gotten rid of it, except that the climate in my kitchen is just not that forgiving to full-iron cladding. I wasn't going to box it up...ever...because it is a beast that should not be tamed. So, it went to someone I know treasures these blades.

To replace it, I got something worthy. I'm a fan of Myojin and still feel like Konosuke's MM series is one of their best in terms of price and performance, and maybe even aesthetics in some regards. I was thus super excited to see a Tetsujin in Ginsan sharpened by Myojin come up after looking for a few months. It is a 240mm (actual is closer to 230x51) that has that wonderful Myojin grind, but quite a bit more spine thickness, taper, and midweight feel than one would typically get with a Myojin from Konosuke. Although it is not "thick," the spine is thicker than it looks due to the exquisite half-octogonal rounding that Mjoyin does as an hommage to Morihiro. As a bonus, it has a cool kasumi finish on the (soft stainless) jacket and a nice etching of the cladding line. For the price, I consider this a steal. It came with among the best edges...if not the best (and I do not say that lightly)...of any knife I've tried, bought, or received. It was clearly made with love and is a worthy successor to the Fujiyama it replaces!
Attachments
IMG_5143.jpg
IMG_5147.JPG
IMG_5149.jpg
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

ScottsoSmith wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:17 pm 682BA014-FFE6-4D1C-8210-2E408D4DEBC5.jpeg

I have that knife. You made a good choice.
Ricardo
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

salemj wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:34 pm ...I recently sent off a beloved Konosuke Fujiyama from the Morihiro era in Blue #1....it went to someone I know treasures these blades.

To replace it, I got something worthy.....
I was thus super excited to see a Tetsujin in Ginsan sharpened by Myojin come up after looking for a few months. It is a 240mm (actual is closer to 230x51) that has that wonderful Myojin grind, but quite a bit more spine thickness, taper, and midweight feel than one would typically get with a Myojin from Konosuke. Although it is not "thick," the spine is thicker than it looks due to the exquisite half-octogonal rounding that Mjoyin does as an hommage to Morihiro. As a bonus, it has a cool kasumi finish on the (soft stainless) jacket and a nice etching of the cladding line. For the price, I consider this a steal. It came with among the best edges...if not the best (and I do not say that lightly)...of any knife I've tried, bought, or received. It was clearly made with love and is a worthy successor to the Fujiyama it replaces!
A very worthy replacement Joe, beautiful knife!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

salemj wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:34 pm ...I was thus super excited to see a Tetsujin in Ginsan sharpened by Myojin come up after looking for a few months. It is a 240mm (actual is closer to 230x51) that has that wonderful Myojin grind, but quite a bit more spine thickness, taper, and midweight feel than one would typically get with a Myojin from Konosuke. ...
Wow, what a grind.
trfrttf12

Post by trfrttf12 »

Hello,

My two most recent purchases.

On top, a Tabata 210mm cleaver and below a Kohetsu SLD nakiri.

I’ve not used either a ton yet, but in the handful of uses with the Tabata, I’m loving it.
Attachments
IMG_4106.jpeg