Sujihiki recommendation, please

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
EucJr

Sujihiki recommendation, please

Post by EucJr »

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking for a bit and respect the opinions and ideas shared here. I’m looking for some recommendations (or maybe confirmations) on a Sujihiki. A few details before I get to the template responses - I am looking for a Sufi that will be used for cooked meats - roasts, briskets, etc. One of the uses will be for table-side carving on holidays - with the goal being to have a knife that I can build a bit of tradition with and then hand it down to one of my kids with the attendant memories - an heirloom. So, both aesthetics and performance are important to me. An added plus would be a knife that has a bit of its own history - something not from a big shop or brand.

I had been thinking about a 300mm Suji, but the selection is somewhat limited within my price range. I had hoped a Konosuke Fujiyama Suji 300mm might show up in the shipment that had been posted as incoming, to no avail. Yesterday, the Kurosaki Fujin VG-10 270mm Suji https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kufuvgsu27.html came in as a new arrival. It got me thinking that 270mm might be the way to go - plus the VG10 stainless might be better for having at the table during dinner and not having to worry about it being cleaned off between cuts, and then the background/provenance of Yu Kurosaki is an added feature. Should I stick with a 300mm Suji instead? Are there perhaps better choices in the 270mm class?

Thanks so much for your wisdom!

1)Pro or home cook? Home
2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.) Sujihiki
3) What size knife do you want? 300mm, but considering 270mm
4)How much do you want to spend? Up to $500 US
5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? Open to all but stainless may be the better choice for my use.
6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? Japanese
7)What are your main knife/knives now? Tojiro DP 210mm Gyuto, Makoto VG-7 Nakiri
8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? Good
9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? Push-pull
10)Do you know how to sharpen? On the list of things to learn
aporigine

Re: Sujihiki recommendation, please

Post by aporigine »

On the length issue, I have two suj in 300mm — fairly different beasts.

My Doi Homura sakimaru is a stout blade, but it has performed very well so far. Blue 2 with an excellent heat treat. Sorta big money though.

On the laser side (surprisingly since Okada’s other blades have robust geometries) is my “BBQ Sword” white 2 curved slicer. It gets wicked sharp, and I haven’t run into flex issues … but I don’t use much force with it, rather long pull cuts.

They are both fully reactive knives, but so long as I keep a damp towel handy, I’ve not had a problem.

I like the length, especially when dealing with something big like my holiday rib roast. I wouldn’t mind adding a thin long 330 to my armory.
“The knife is the most permanent, the most immortal, the most ingenious of all man’s creations.”
- Yevgeny Zamyatin
jknife

Post by jknife »

I have a 270 and wish I had purchased a 300.
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I have a Konosuke W#2 300mm(discontinued) and like it a lot. Most of the time I'm glad I have a 300mm but most of the time a 270mm would get the job done, we're talking about a difference of barely over an inch. I will also say that it is handy to have something like a 150mm petty/utility knife to back it up for those tasks that aren't just pure slicing.

The stock is a little thin in both sizes, it tends to be for a while after the holidays. Not a good time to be looking for something special.
You can send Mark an email about what he may have on order and when it might restock. He is very engaging with customer questions.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I have a 270 Artifex, a 270mm AS Laser and a 300mm Kono W#2 suji. The AS Laser is a beefier convex grind from Kurosaki (before he started his own brand) and that helps the slices push away from what you are cutting, leading to truer cuts. If the meat is denser, a thinner blade like the Artifex or Kono can deflect more. I had to slice down like 20 roasts for a game dinner several years ago and used my suji's head to head and preferred the AS thicker/stouter blade, then the Kono due to the length and the Artifex last. The Artifex makes a great watermelon knife though! Slicing through raw proteins, they all work well.

Briskets can be pretty big, so you may want to opt for the extra length of the 300mm? You can always make another pass through the protein instead of sawing back and forth, but it's nice to do it in one cut, especially for taller proteins. One of these days I am going to make myself a slicing monster! :twisted:
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I have a few Suji knives, 300 and 270. I love the style. As Jeff said its only an inch...but funnily it makes for a very different feel. The 270 is easier to handle and control but the 300 is king for larger cuts and slices.
I agree about the attraction of a stainless blade when carving etc. And I am a big proponent of VG10 and Ginsan 3.
As such, there is a knife in stock I would personally love.... https://www.chefknivestogo.com/nisi3dasu30.html
Its at the top of your price range but these guys make incredible blades and I think you would love it for both practical and aesthetic reasons.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Another 300mm option, stainless and $169: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tahavgdahe30.html

Here’s a 270mm with hand engraving: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yagihaensu27.html

Then you can practice sharpening so your $500 heirloom doesn’t sit dull on the mantle.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

I have a Konosuke HD2 300mm suji and it checks all the boxes you list. It's semi-stainless, so you don't need to immediately wash it after use, it's wicked sharp and it's ideal for slicing cooked meats (cutting cooked brisket is it's #1 task in my kitchen). A great knife!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

JASinIL2006 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:55 am I have a Konosuke HD2 300mm suji and it checks all the boxes you list. It's semi-stainless, so you don't need to immediately wash it after use, it's wicked sharp and it's ideal for slicing cooked meats (cutting cooked brisket is it's #1 task in my kitchen). A great knife!
A brilliant knife indeed. Just not so easy to find! Although I would not leave food on it even though it is semi stainless. HD2 can mark very easily...not unattractive however!
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

mauichef wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:20 am
JASinIL2006 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:55 am I have a Konosuke HD2 300mm suji and it checks all the boxes you list. It's semi-stainless, so you don't need to immediately wash it after use, it's wicked sharp and it's ideal for slicing cooked meats (cutting cooked brisket is it's #1 task in my kitchen). A great knife!
A brilliant knife indeed. Just not so easy to find! Although I would not leave food on it even though it is semi stainless. HD2 can mark very easily...not unattractive however!
Very true. I had to look around a bit, but it was worth the extra work!
cliff

Post by cliff »

I have a few. I think the most versatile is Shiro Kamo R2 at 270 -- but it's a full 270 and not a Sakai size. I've got a 300 Ashi Ginga in White no. 2. That little bit of extra length makes a big difference in feel. Keep in mind it won't fit in most knife rolls, if that's an issue.

I think the first choice is laser vs. heavy convex. Do you do more fish or more big roasts and brisket? I think a full 270 is generally enough, but Sakai 270's are a bit shorter, so take that into account.