Thin this knife to improve performance?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Kerneldrop

Thin this knife to improve performance?

Post by Kerneldrop »

Is there anything I can do to turn this W#1 battle axe into a laser-like-kinda-sorta-ish performer?
Right now it wedges everything in half
I have 3M diamond belts that can handle this...just wasn't sure if you can thin that much after heat treat?
And maybe a little thinning goes a long ways?
It's a great profile and sub $100. I knew I wasn't getting a Myojin.

White #1 steel
175mm length, 54.2mm high

Last edited by Kerneldrop on Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kekoa

Re: Thin this knife to improve performance?

Post by Kekoa »

Thinning will always help some, but I'm not sure how much work it would need to get what you want out of it by hand. I can't see the pictures to attempt to judge what it would take, but it might come down to trying it to see for yourself whether it feels worth the effort. Trying stuff like this usually means getting to learn a bit of something new and coming away with some more confidence in your ability to work on your knives, so it might be worth giving it a go just for the experience.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I think you may be shocked at how much more performance you could get out of that knife. Taking those shoulders down and raising the shinogi, thinning a little more behind the edge, all would do wonders for that knife.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:51 pm I think you may be shocked at how much more performance you could get out of that knife. Taking those shoulders down and raising the shinogi, thinning a little more behind the edge, all would do wonders for that knife.
I guess the question is do I use my diamond plates or my 1x30" belt sander with diamond belts that'll make fast work out of it.
I thought about shipping it off, but shipping plus the service will cost more than the knife, plus I like to tinker.
Although I certainly don't want a rustic blacksmiths work to go to waste...I won't be distraught if I ruin it.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I would use the belt sander to bring the shinogi line up a bit and thinning at the same time. Start with an 80grit ceramic belt for the 1x30, then go to 120 grit and you can start the stones from there of needed. I would put a piece of leather on the platen so it will help keep the convex on the shinogi since it has some give and that will help raise the shinogi and thin at the same time. You can also get some S2-32 felt from Mcmaster Carr and use that in place of the leather.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Well let’s party
IMG_7069.jpeg
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

So, 2 hours of sanding at 1900 sfm. Main belt used was a Norton Blaze 120
There's not much material removed for the amount of time I spent making passes and making sure the blade was cool.
Three lessons learned: (1) buy a performance knife from the start, (2) Send off for grinding, and (3) Gotta grind faster than 1900 sfm

But it is sharp and there is a slight performance improvement

Last edited by Kerneldrop on Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Last edited by Kerneldrop on Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Focus on thinning out the blade road and ignore what the upper part of the blade looks like for now. There is a forged concave in the upper part of the blade, which is hard to get out with your 1x30 unless you grind it down to a full flat/convex grind which will take a long time, especially with a 120 belt.

Put the pressure where the shinogi line is to grind that part down. You need to thin that area before you get to thin behind the edge with a flat/convex grind. If you try to thin the whole blade road at the same times, you will end up with the same geometry. Gotta thin the shoulder between the hollow grind at the upper part of the knife and the blade road.

Getting that grind like in the other pic needs a shallow hollow above the edge it looks like from the choil shot. I've gotten pretty much there with a laser convex grind and starting with 3/32" thick stock and a very shallow angle but it removes lots of metal.

The 1x30 doesnt have the same power as the 2x72's, so you may need more speed to get the belt grain to fracture? Too much pressure may be able to bog the motor down. The 120 belt is fairly slow grinding wise, too. You will probably notice a difference in how the soft cladding grinds vs the harder core steel, the cladding usually grabs the belt more.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Thank you. I'll have to wait another day for round 2.
I couldn't imagine doing this on stones.
Just ballpark...how many hours would it take you to get it the way you like...or at least the best it can be.
How many hours would it take doing it by stones?

I need to go through all my belts because I know I have some 40-80 grit.

Finishing this project will probably burn up my motor...it's not made for long grinding sessions.
I may just have to settle so this knife doesn't cost me a new machine.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Is it stainless clad? My experience with carbon clad in stainless is that the stainless jacket can be VERY hard. Which is odd because I find the stainless jacket of stainless cores to be generally quite soft. (Compare, for example, most stainless over carbon with stainless over R2.) I offer this only to help you feel a bit less frustrated. :)

Otherwise, I think this is a great project! But I totally agree: if there is one thing I've learned, is that good knives cost money because they have good grinds. Paying less for an inferior grind is...not something one can easily fix at home. The real masters (in my opinion) are the ones who produce magical grinds that seem to defy logic. I think it takes an obscene amount of practice and experience to know how to get a grind that does contradictory things (such as be strong, sturdy, but effortlessly penetrate product, or to be laser-thin and glide through produce but not have food stick to it, etc).

I hate to reveal myself, but whenever I modify a knife it is a labour of love. There is no example I can think of when paying myself per hour comes anywhere near cost savings when it comes to modifying the blade itself. If I value my own time, I'm better off paying more for a better knife to start in terms of cost (but not always in terms of fun!). I mention this more to make another point: knives are a lot cheaper when you think of it this way. While a great maker can churn things out quickly, you're still paying for a skill that would take a normal person numerous hours to complete. When you consider these are mostly self-employment wages (meaning they cover the cost of running a business including overheads rather than something like a typical hourly wage), the prices can be pretty astounding.

Nonetheless, I love to tinker sometimes, including by buying random stuff and just seeing if I can't get some performance out of it! I hope you continue to have fund with your project (and that you continue to document it for us).
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Soft iron cladding.
This knife will do excellent with shorter ingredients.
I'll just avoid using it on taller denser products where wedging is felt.
I got this knife to start my whetstone sharpening journey...it's taught me a lot for sure.
This is just part of the rustic-hand-made-budget game.
I'm still a sucker for rustic knives that cut above their pay grade such as the Shindo Enjin 210 that I have.
Last edited by Kerneldrop on Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

F0BDazB.jpeg
Something to think about when you are flat/convex thinning. With the hollow forged in (or ground in) in the upper portion of the blade, in order to get it super thin behind the edge while flattening/convexing, you can see where the yellow lines go and intersect the blade and where the material needs to be removed the most, but it still leaves the spine full thickness. To get thinner, you have to thin out the spine, too, which is removing a lot more metal over a wider area. Doing so will remove most of the hollow typically unless you have a way to put it back in unless it's a thin spined knife like a Takeda and you won't get too far into the hollow due to how far it is down the blade, thickness of the spine, etc. This is why many of the super thin behind the edge blades and thicker spined blades often have concave blade roads (very shallow hollow grinds done on the large stone wheels) that lets the maker get that area thin without getting into the upper portion of the blade too much (Wide Beveled knives). Many blades have the forged hollow that ends around 1/3 to 1/2 up the blade, others have the hollow be the majority of the blade and then do the convex blade road (Takeda), which makes a thinner knife overall and easier to thin over time by the end user. In san Mai, this often leads to a flexible blade that is easily bent, but has the laser feel to it.

So with flat grinding, you get to a point were you need to redo the whole blade face to get thinner typically. Flattening out and softening that shoulder into the hollow grind at the Shinogi line is where most of the material needs to be removed from and will usually help increase performance to a point. Going thinner than that typically means some way to hollow grind the blade road or grinding more of the whole blade face.

You may be able to grind on the blade parallel to the edge (watch that the belt isn't going into the tip, tip trailing is key!!!), to reduce that shoulder without eliminating the hollow above it? With the 1x30, it's not really set up for that, but larger belt grinders may do better with that, especially if they have a contact wheel and you can grind on that. You can do the same on stones, holding the blade parallel to the stone and only working the blade road itself with the rest of the blade hanging off the side of the stone, which isn't very stable.

I tried a couple different ways of doing the S grind. One is similar to what your knife has. I convex the blade to the edge, then add in the hollow grind to the upper 1/2-2/3 of the blade height wise. This allows a thicker spine, and convexing down at the edge, but leaves the area behind the edge more work horse/work pony like and more meat in the blade. The hollow area is shallower and ends further up the blade. Think of a convexed work horse with the hollow ending up in the upper half of the blade height wise.

My preferred S grind style is to do a nearly full flat/convex grind on the blade first to remove the bulk of the steel, then start adding the hollow to the sides, but leave the spine full thickness so it's stiffer and let the hollow go much lower on the blade. I continue to work the hollow on the radius platen as I bring the convex blade road grind up the blade to get it as thin as I want it. This takes a good bit of time because I am going back and forth since the hollow will go farther down the blade when I grind that in, and then will get ground back up the blade as I put in the blade road itself. I try to keep the shoulder low and thin on the blade. The result is a blade grind like the older Takedas with a thin shoulder, wide, large hollow and convexed thin blade road.
S grind progression.jpg
S grind progression.jpg (28.5 KiB) Viewed 354 times
This pic kinda shows the first style knife and then as it gets thinned/convexed out, putting the hollow back in as I thin the blade road down with the blue and yellow lines. With different height and thickness blades, where you need to start the hollow changes, too. Eventually, I want to get used to the radius platen that I can just grind the radius in once and not have to do it and tweak it multiple times!

So time to grind your blade thinner and get a decent belt satin finish would probably be an hour or two depending if you wanted the full height convex or a S grind. I also start with a 36 or 50 grit belt, 2 hp motor and 3650 RPM motor, so the roughing stage goes pretty quick and it's clean up/tweaking from there!

When I did my recent magnacut gyuto, the spine is .090" thick. At the shoulder where the blade road and hollow meet is only ~.040" thick (around 1mm) if i remember from a couple weeks ago when I measured it and is the thickest part of the blade until the hollow goes up to meet the spine. I will try to get a picture of the grind from the side of the blade tomorrow and more measurements.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

One thing to remember is the cuisine that the people eat that make these knives. I don't see potatoes, large squash and other hard/wedgey ingredients in their typical traditional cuisine.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

taz575 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am One thing to remember is the cuisine that the people eat that make these knives. I don't see potatoes, large squash and other hard/wedgey ingredients in their typical traditional cuisine.
And the local folks this maker is selling to is most likely just looking for a tool that gets the job done and hopefully lasts a long time without issue.
There's a place on my tower rack for this knife, especially now that we all have time invested in this knife.

I noticed yesterday before I started grinding that the tip is thicker than the heel. This knife was made to work.
When I was attempting to grind I could see the distance between edge and the belt change as I moved towards the tip. The edge was further off the belt towards the tip. And it looks and feels thicker. This was before I started grinding, so it wasn't because of me.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Yup! People refer to "Tosa" Style knives are those with more basic, robust grinds that are not refined much (sharp choils/spines, often forged san mai blades with Kurouchi finishes and thicker, convex bevels. I got a few years ago to play with flattening the blade roads, kasumi finishes, etc and practice with the stones and sharpening. They do work in the kitchen as is, but can perform decently as a workhorse type knife if you put some tuning into it.

Tip areas and heels are where we see most inconsistencies in the grinds. Heels are often overground (too much pressure when they put the steel to the grinding wheel typically) and tips can be thicker than wanted (very easy to burn/overheat a thin tip when working in them). Or the blade could be slightly bent, too, also common in San Mai blades.

One Japanese smith noticed that after forging, the steel and knives can still slightly warp after 2 years! They forge the blades out, do the HT, and then let them sit for several months before rough grinding because the steel needs to settle down movement wise IIRC. I haven't heard/seen of that in my experience, but with water quenched honyaki high carbon blades, the stresses in the steel are a lot more!
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

K, I wanted to give it more one go. I don't like saying this is the best I can do, but I think it's the best I can do without considerably more time.
I cranked up my little 1x30 to full speed 3600 sfm and let a new 80 grit belt eat. I dipped in ice water after each pass.
I didn't spark yesterday....I had sparks flying today. I used more pressure along with the increased speed.
Performance is definitely improved. It now feels exactly like my Chopper King W#2 cleaver on celery and carrots.
Tip is still thicker but that's ok with me.
I like the shiny look.

taz575

Post by taz575 »

There you go!! Got the shoulders thinned down and not so abrupt and a good bit thinner!
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

taz575 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:43 pm There you go!! Got the shoulders thinned down and not so abrupt and a good bit thinner!
I'm happy with it now...I didn't get hurt, ruin a hand-made knife and didn't burn up my belt sander.
That grinding -- and really light grinding compared to what you do-- takes a toll on my grip and I was one weak grip or one bite on the belt from it flying into my stomach.
So I called it good. Sometimes settling for good enough is winning. lol
taz575

Post by taz575 »

YamashinChoil.jpg
YamashinChoil.jpg (11.74 KiB) Viewed 299 times
This is a 165mm Yamashin Funayuki I thinned and reground with a variable speed 2x72 and rotary platen. Yours isn't that far off!