Sharpening on Diamond Plates

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Kerneldrop

Sharpening on Diamond Plates

Post by Kerneldrop »

Does anyone sharpen Japanese kitchen knives on diamond plates?
I know some prefer sharpening on diamond plates once the Vanadium is 4%+
I did a quick google search and ZDP, HAP, SG2 have lower Vanadium.
Magnacut has enough Vanadium.

I think Taz posted that he sharpens on diamonds. At least he did for Kekoa's 80crV2
I believe the main sharpener for Korin uses a 200 grit diamond plate for his course stone. Maybe he said 400.

If I had to guess...a diamond plate would give a toothy scratchy edge.
Several years ago I bought a DMT 8x3 plate kit...just trying to figure out if there's a benefit to using them with kitchen knives.
I got the plates for pocket knives with high Vanadium.
taz575

Re: Sharpening on Diamond Plates

Post by taz575 »

Yup, I started using it on all of my knives! My waterstone bucket dried out I think, gotta re fill it I guess! Or maybe it's time for a sealed one that doesn't have sludge in it...lol. Been using the same water tub since around 2012??

They are faster than waterstones, so if it needs a touch up, I just use the 1000 one, then strop from there on my 1K/5K diamond strop. The 400 works good for thinning/resetting a bevel, clean up with the 1000. It does take less pressure and works faster, so it's easy to overdo it, but if you are used to using them, you should be good!

I have some DMT's around (blue and red ones) and I had a DMT 8000 at one point, but the diamond plating bubbles off of it in places. I tried DMT folding stones and other amazon diamond stones and didn't really care for how they left the edge with that gritty scratchy feeling. That was before I was stropping with diamond paste on leather though! The diamond compound removes the burr, puts in enough tooth and polishes as the same time, and seems to do the trick!

For me, the advantage is that toothy edge. I love the edge from J Nats that has some variation and tooth to it, and the diamond stone followed by strops gives that and you can tune the edge "tooth" to how you like it. Want more tooth, strop less. Want it more polished, strop it a bit more or with a finer grit. I have been finding I like the toothier edge, but the stropping takes the scratchy out of the edge if that makes sense! I often get left with a nice sticky sharp, but aggressive edge that does nicely in the kitchen and mimics some of my sharpest edges I got off of my Rika 5K stone and stropping on bare leather, in a lot less time and fuss! Cutting paper towels horizontally is easy with the edge, as is slicing receipts vertically and shaving arm hair.
ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

I use Atoma plates a lot. I have found that I really like to start on them because I know they are flat and I don't have to keep them that way. Then once I get to 600 I can jump to a Shapton Glass 2k, or if I go to the 1200 I can go right for a strop loaded with 3 micron diamonds. It works really well, it's fast, and it doesnt require water (although some water or glycerin helps keep the diamond plate clean). Why make things harder? It should be said that I am doing this on modern steels and I have a lot of stones and will use them when I have time, especially if I have the right knife for it.
Sam
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

I’m going to give them a try and see what I get.
The DMT plates I have are 220, 325, 600, 1200 grits.
I have an Atoma 400, too.

The Naniwa Diamond stones are too pricey for me.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I have never used the Atomas except to flatten stones. I have vitrified diamond plates from another vendor that appear very similar to the DMD plates Mark has. (https://www.chefknivestogo.com/dmddist10.html)

I use the 1k and 6k and the 6k has what I would consider to be the perfect amount of tooth/polish for a finished edge. Much more "toothy" than a standard 6k synth stone. I have never had to flatten or maintain them...

The 1k is decent enough for small thinning or maintenance thinning jobs as well.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

I use a diamond plate for setting bevels or as the first stone in my progression on occasion. It definitely leaves a bit more tooth, which in general I like. I think it is easier to get good edges off of diamond plates than it is off of water stones, but it is worth noting that I started my sharpening journey with diamond plates, so that could be part of the reason that that seems to be the case for me. Nowadays my edges seem pretty comparable off of either type of stone in terms of edge quality, but a water stone still seems just a bit more finicky.

That said, I do love using water stones for whatever reason, so most of my knives are finished off on them, even if I start my progression with a diamond plate. I have a pretty killer edge on my Spyderco Endura pocket knife off of my #1000 Cerax stone. That stone has become my go-to for any non-kitchen knife.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Kekoa wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:57 pm ... I have a pretty killer edge on my Spyderco Endura pocket knife off of my #1000 Cerax stone. That stone has become my go-to for any non-kitchen knife.
Do you ever use the #1000 Cerax on your kitchen knives?
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

Oh yeah, for my thin Japanese knives the Cerax is usually the starting point, but I typically finish on my #2000 Naniwa Super Stone. I occasionally finish some of my softer western style kitchen knives with the Cerax, but most of the time those get a toothier edge on a #320 diamond plate.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Kerneldrop wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:59 pm
Kekoa wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:57 pm ... I have a pretty killer edge on my Spyderco Endura pocket knife off of my #1000 Cerax stone. That stone has become my go-to for any non-kitchen knife.
Do you ever use the #1000 Cerax on your kitchen knives?
I have not had the chance to use one yet.
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

I sliced some chicken and steak on a ceramic plate the other day and the knife turned a butter knife...so figured why not put it on a DMT Fine and DMT Extra-Fine plate. I followed it with a Spyderco UF 3micron ceramic dry stone, which depending on who you ask is around 8-10k whetstone.

The DMT left a cool scratch pattern...I mostly do edge trailing with both hands, but mixed in some edge leading.
Definitely sharp

ex1580

Post by ex1580 »

Kerneldrop wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:42 pm I sliced some chicken and steak on a ceramic plate the other day and the knife turned a butter knife...
Be honest, you did that on purpose so you could sharpen something. :P
Sam
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

ex1580 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:44 pm Be honest, you did that on purpose so you could sharpen something. :P
haha. I guess I'll take my brick back outside.
Sometimes I get tired of moving and cleaning my Hi-Soft cutting board.