Thin this knife to improve performance?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Kerneldrop

Re: Thin this knife to improve performance?

Post by Kerneldrop »

taz575 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:48 pmVery nice!!
Thank you. I really thought a 220 grit diamond plate/stone would have removed metal faster, and more of it.
I have a new appreciation for the amount of effort and time it takes to do stuff like this, in addition to the skill of applying pressure and holding an angle in the exact spot to shape a grind that close to the edge with stones. And I stopped short of a performance-grind....so i can't imagine what it takes to shape a performance grind. The cool part about using the plates was I could definitely see the high and low spots along the blade. Now those are mostly removed and it appears to be more uniform.
I could have really used those wooden jigs and big stone wheels the Japanese sharpeners use. lol

I thought about ordering that 80 grit plate from CKTG, then a 120 grit Shapton glass....but then I was like na, from here on i'll only get thin knives that just need a 2k finish sharpening. lol
trancher

Post by trancher »

Kerneldrop wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:04 am
I thought about ordering that 80 grit plate from CKTG, then a 120 grit Shapton glass....but then I was like na, from here on i'll only get thin knives that just need a 2k finish sharpening. lol
Lol! Ya, it's a lesson, but I tell you what, you now have some experience with thinning so having traveled the road, you know whether you ever want to walk down it again and personally, I agree with your conclusion - pump in a few extra bucks into the knife budget. :)
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Yeah, they work fast for sharpening, but removing steel like you did takes a lot of grunt work to do it by hand! You are removing steel from a much wider area, so it takes a while to see results. With a narrow section on a thin edge, they are fast and all of the pressure is on a small area. Once you go down and are working on a wider area, the results slow WAAAAAAY down!

Should have had you weight the blade before and after to see how much metal you removed! You took off a good bit of weight and did a nice job thinning, especially by hand!!