Hello!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
HHH Knives

Hello!

Post by HHH Knives »

Hey everyone, This is Randy's youngest son, Hunter. I've been taking an adventure into the fine art of making knives under the direction of my father for the last few months. I know I'm far from making the perfect knife but I think I'm doing alright so far, kinda hard not to with my dad over my shoulder telling me how I'm messing up.
i just wanted to introduce myself to the fine people of this community. attached are some of the knives I've made in the last few months. let me know what you think! ask questions! Show me some knives you've made or if you have any my dad made show me those! i just like talking about knives and lookin at beautiful ones. thank you for your time reading this, have an amazing day.
Attachments
438725778_7312100815585293_2520984829557469848_n.jpg
436315801_7278060865655955_1534237924078816117_n.jpg
436199602_7278060462322662_7763942682702534110_n.jpg
426298575_6998899746905403_1901861046305837223_n.jpg
HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit!

God is GOOD, ALL the time!!!
Randy Haas
http://hhhcustomknives.com
Kekoa

Re: Hello!

Post by Kekoa »

Hello Hunter, glad to have you here! It looks like your well on your way in your knife making journey, these are very nice looking samples of your work. I particularly like the raindrop damascus. I imagine you will only get better with a mentor as skilled as your father.

I'd love to hear some specs on the kitchen knives. What steels did you use, handle materials, length?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the hunter is recurved right? I've been curious for some time about recurve blades and sharpening. How do you sharpen the recurved section? I think when on the grinder a slack belt is sometimes used, but what about when you need to go to stones? It has always confused me a little because it seems like you could only get at that section with a rod, so maybe that is the solution?
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

Kekoa wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:42 pm …How do you sharpen the recurved section?
They make curved stones for recurves, such as the Naniwa Gouken curved stones.
Some use the edge of a regular stone. I clamp the stones on their side in a vise to hold them so I can get after it.
The Spyderco sharp-maker triangle stones will sharpen a recurve, too, but takes longer.
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Kekoa wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:42 pm Hello Hunter, glad to have you here! It looks like your well on your way in your knife making journey, these are very nice looking samples of your work. I particularly like the raindrop damascus. I imagine you will only get better with a mentor as skilled as your father.

I'd love to hear some specs on the kitchen knives. What steels did you use, handle materials, length?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the hunter is recurved right? I've been curious for some time about recurve blades and sharpening. How do you sharpen the recurved section? I think when on the grinder a slack belt is sometimes used, but what about when you need to go to stones? It has always confused me a little because it seems like you could only get at that section with a rod, so maybe that is the solution?
Hey! im glad to be here, and thank you. i can already feel myself improving each day, especially being taught under my father.

Now i dont have a full spec sheet on the green handled one, but i do on the gyuto if you're interested.
the green handled one was born from my fiancee complaining about the full length gyuto we have being too long and the handle not fitting her hand, so i decided the first knife i was gonna make was going to be for her and designed by her, she told me what she liked and didnt like about the knives in our kitchen and i tried my hardest to compile that into one knife for her. the handle is shaped differently than the pattern and smaller for her hands, the blade is much shorter only about 5~ off of memory, its birds-eye damascus my brother forged from a stake of 10-80 high carbon steel and nickle. its hand picked by her from 5 different handle materials i showed her, stabilized and dyed box elder burl, from Craig Stevens studio. with stainless steel corby bolts on the top and the bottom of the handle and a mosaic pin in the center. the blade also has a convex grind on the right side, and as shes right handed it only made sense to. it also has a tapered tang birthed from a major error i made while surface grinding it after i profiled it out and gouged into the tang really badly on one side so my dad gave me my very first important lesson of, every mistake can become a feature, and showed me how to taper a tang.

The Gyuto on the other hand is just my dads standard pattern for one, its ladder damascus my brother also forged, same 10-80 and nickle composition. it came from wanting to try to make the most refined kitchen knife i could, so i took every surface to 2000 grit. and picked out some beautiful non dyed stabilized Honduran rose wood burl, accompanied by 2 copper corby bolts on the top and bottom just as with the last knife and a mosaic pin in the center. the blade is 240mm long (approximately 9.5 inches) and 56mm tall at the heel (2.25~ inches) with a total length of 375mm (14.75~ inches)
and also has a convex grind on the right side of the blade, it was also etched in coffee as appose to ferric witch was able to retain the sheen on the 2000 grit finish on the blade better. i practically have the entire knife measured out if you're interested in the full sheet.

and yes the hunter is a recurve, now my father sharped it not myself, but i did ask him and this is roughly what he had to say on that matter. start at a 400 grit j-flex belt on a 1x42 sander and knock in the edge, then the standard progression of grit on the stones, when it comes to how to on a flat stone his answer was pretty much "im just that guy" but he did add in you have to be very precise with where you're exerting the bulk of your pressure and you cant really use more than half of the width of the stone at one time, and it will put dips in your stone if you use it to sharpen recurves for too long.

but with that being said i appreciate your curiosity and if you have any more questions or thoughts i invite you to voice them! again i love talking about knives as they are and have been a passion of mine for a long while, now i like making them, not just owning them. thank you and have an excellent day!
HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit!

Randy Haas
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there Hunter and welcome to our forum. I have admired your father's knives for many years now and you look like you're well on the way to becoming a creator of fantastic knives. Keep up the great work and keep posting here for us on the forum.
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Kerneldrop

Post by Kerneldrop »

HHH Knives wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:28 pm thank you for your time reading this, have an amazing day.
very nice, all are very nice! The green one is my favorite profile and size.
Of course the larger gyuto is the coolest looking profile, but I always grab the smaller stuff.
It's cool you're crafting options that appeal to everyone.
atang

Post by atang »

Hello Hunter! Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear the family is well. You guys make amazing stuff and the damascus patterning is spectacular. Happy to see the return of HHH on the forum.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Hello Hunter, so glad you stopped in and introduced yourself! We have enjoyed your father's knives here for many years and miss having him stop in and show off his work. It looks like you are well on your way to filling some very big shoes! Love the detailed honest narrative of the tapered tang "feature."
We hope to see much more of your work and follow in your journey with you!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

Welcome, Hunter. That 240mm gyuto looks amazing!
Ricardo
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Radar53 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:47 pm Hi there Hunter and welcome to our forum. I have admired your father's knives for many years now and you look like you're well on the way to becoming a creator of fantastic knives. Keep up the great work and keep posting here for us on the forum.
Thank you and everyone else on here for being so welcoming! My father has made some amazing works of art in his life and its my goal to one day make something that rivals them honestly. how i see it if you're not trying to surpass your teacher, what are you even doing?

Randy Haas
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Kerneldrop wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:42 pm
HHH Knives wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:28 pm thank you for your time reading this, have an amazing day.
very nice, all are very nice! The green one is my favorite profile and size.
Of course the larger gyuto is the coolest looking profile, but I always grab the smaller stuff.
It's cool you're crafting options that appeal to everyone.
yeah the smaller knife is the most used one in our kitchen now lmao.
and thank you for your kind words i really do appreciate all of the kindness this community has shown me in the past few days not only on this forum but others as well, the knife making community is full of awesome people and ive known that for a while. i cant count the amount of times my father was mailing stuff back and fourth with other knifemakers and users, and they would include something small for me when i was a kid, in the package.

Randy Haas
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:19 pm Hello Hunter, so glad you stopped in and introduced yourself! We have enjoyed your father's knives here for many years and miss having him stop in and show off his work. It looks like you are well on your way to filling some very big shoes! Love the detailed honest narrative of the tapered tang "feature."
We hope to see much more of your work and follow in your journey with you!
Hia Jeff, im glad i stopped in too, full of nice people! and knife people. My dad may start posting on here and other forums in the near future, you didnt hear it from me but he might be making some knives in the near future ;) He's got some really big shoes to fill we actually talked about it yesterday. but im determined to not only fill them but to make them grow, it seems like its my birth right, my name sake. this non-tangeable pull i feel to it. "mistakes don't define you, your reactions to them do" is a quote i try to live by and it translated effortlessly into knife making honestly,
i will be posting more on here, i have a little 6~ inch off of memory i haven"t measured it yet swept tip fillet knife lookin thing my dad can figure out what to call sitting on the bench done right now i dont even have pictures of lmao. this wont be the last time im posting on here!

Randy Haas
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

TheLegalRazor wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:37 pm Welcome, Hunter. That 240mm gyuto looks amazing!
Thank you! i think its the prettiest knife ive made so far, soon to be surpassed!

Randy Haas
trancher

Post by trancher »

Welcome! Lovely work you have on display.
Kekoa

Post by Kekoa »

HHH Knives wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:40 pm ... the blade also has a convex grind on the right side, and as shes right handed it only made sense to.
Interesting, an asymmetric convex grind, that is an intriguing concept. I imagine that allows you to keep it thinner overall, by flat grinding the inside face, while still having most of the advantages associated with a convex grind by convexing the outside face. I wonder what would happen if you hollow ground the inside blade face. :?:
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

trancher wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 pm Welcome! Lovely work you have on display.
Thank you so much!

Randy Haas
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Kekoa wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:37 pm
HHH Knives wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:40 pm ... the blade also has a convex grind on the right side, and as shes right handed it only made sense to.
Interesting, an asymmetric convex grind, that is an intriguing concept. I imagine that allows you to keep it thinner overall, by flat grinding the inside face, while still having most of the advantages associated with a convex grind by convexing the outside face. I wonder what would happen if you hollow ground the inside blade face. :?:
from my understanding the convex on a single face is to help veggies fall off easier, and haveing a concave grind on the opposite side is a thing a lot of people do, i think they call it an S-grind but ive heard that term thrown around so much at this point im not sure what an S-grind is lmao.

Randy Haas
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Welcome Hunter! I ised some of your dads Damascus and had him make some blades for me a while back, too! Glad to see you on the forums!