Marko Tsourkan Knives

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Kalaeb

Re: Marko Tsourkan Knives

Post by Kalaeb »

Kit Craft wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:59 pm Will the price tag make me cry? :lol:
His knives are not outrageous by any means. Certainly a value if you consider how much time goes into them.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:18 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:59 pm Will the price tag make me cry? :lol:
His knives are not outrageous by any means. Certainly a value if you consider how much time goes into them.
Cool, thanks. I did some digging, which was not hard, and found his price quotes for his customs, which also are not bad at all.
TheVincenzo

Post by TheVincenzo »

I've had my eye on Marko's knives as well. They will be a good addition.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

pd7077 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:24 pm I better get the couch ready again :o
It is my goal to start a side business sharpening knives in the future. That money will be used to buy more knives, stones, etc... which is good for the business. Thus, the wife cannot be "make you sleep on the couch" angry. Plus, the purchases would be tax deductible, right?
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Gregory27 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:09 pm
It is my goal to start a side business sharpening knives in the future. That money will be used to buy more knives, stones, etc... which is good for the business. Thus, the wife cannot be "make you sleep on the couch" angry. Plus, the purchases would be tax deductible, right?
I have run a small business and some things are tax deductible up into a point. For me it was confusing, which is why I had someone else prepare my taxes. :lol: Mine, too was a side venture and one that I was in for 10 years but got out of when I went to Spain and have lost the drive to start it up again. :lol:

Point being, I don't think you will be able to deduct 2 dozen natural stones a month, for example. :lol: Then again, I grew veggies, flower and shrubbery so it was quite different. I could claim lost plants, transfer trays etc.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Oh, wow, that's great news. It's always nice to see new knives and varied knife offerings, but that's a really great partnership for you.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

Are these going to be the Mizuno style convex grind he's been trying to perfect? He's a really thoughtful and meticulous knifemaker and it'll be cool to see him on the site in addition to some of the other western makers that are semi common here (like Randy Haas and Butch Harner).
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

milkbaby wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:31 pm Are these going to be the Mizuno style convex grind he's been trying to perfect? He's a really thoughtful and meticulous knifemaker and it'll be cool to see him on the site in addition to some of the other western makers that are semi common here (like Randy Haas and Butch Harner).
That is a good question. I see that he uses symmetric and asymmetric convex and s grind. Or at least that is as far as I have gotten in my reading. I have only heard good things in random threads but this is the first research I have actually done. I don't own a knife from a western craftsman so I am interest in this. :) Well, not a kitchen knife. I have a few outdoor knives.
Gregory27

Post by Gregory27 »

Kit Craft wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:03 pm
Gregory27 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:09 pm
I but got out of when I went to Spain and have lost the drive to start it up again. :lol:

I would imagine if i spent anytime in Spain, I'd lose the drive to do anything but eat, drink wine, and nap.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

I have one of Marko's damascus knives and it is fantastic. This will be a great addition to your range!
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

milkbaby wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:31 pm Are these going to be the Mizuno style convex grind he's been trying to perfect? He's a really thoughtful and meticulous knifemaker and it'll be cool to see him on the site in addition to some of the other western makers that are semi common here (like Randy Haas and Butch Harner).
We're actually doing his interpretation of a KS type profile and grind on the gyuto.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
JohnnyR

Post by JohnnyR »

I think he will be a great addition , I have one of his knives and his fit and finish are superb. I have an interest in makers here in the states and for me at least it is easier to order when in stock instead of placing a custom order so I think it will be nice to have that option. The A2 steel will be interesting, we use it in the shop I work at from time to time for tooling . Good news Mark.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:14 am
We're actually doing his interpretation of a KS type profile and grind on the gyuto.
It sounds like you'll be selling a decent amount of these then! :)
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I'm going to bump this thread and ask Marko to stop over and say hello so he can tell you what our plan is and the timeline.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:14 am
I'm as big a fan of the KS as anyone but why the need for so many new knives to mimic it? Shibata, Doi and Marko....
Shibata was sought out for the sole purpose to copy the KS but I would have loved to have seen a completely original Doi and Marko gyuto for more variety.
As Matt expressed his growing disdain of the continuous generalization to the KS I've had my fill of clones and interpretations there of.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

The reason is because customers like and buy them. If you all liked knives shaped like a pick axe I would be shaking down the blacksmiths to make them. Also exclusivity separates the site from others. If I can have knives made in this shape and others find it hard to copy I'm ok with that.

Try this statement.

I'm as big a fan of the nakiri as anyone but why the need for so many brands to mimic it?
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

The ks is an interpretation/clone of the k sab, this is how things progress.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:53 pm I'm as big a fan of the KS as anyone but why the need for so many new knives to mimic it? Shibata, Doi and Marko....
Shibata was sought out for the sole purpose to copy the KS but I would have loved to have seen a completely original Doi and Marko gyuto for more variety.
As Matt expressed his growing disdain of the continuous generalization to the KS I've had my fill of clones and interpretations there of.
Yeh, not sure I agree mate.
I like the fact that some other smiths are giving their spin on a classic, which is a spin on a classic ;-)
I am sure we will see other blades coming from these up and coming blade makers.
Doi, as far as I know, made this his first double bevel gyuto. That's cool IMO.
Plus, did you see how fast they sold out? Don't begrudge Mark and Sue that enviable situation :D
wphill

Post by wphill »

I happen to speak to marko on the phone. He impressed me as very modest and big on timing heat treatment with perfection. Re the KS he shared that has a work history of fixing used ones, so I would imagine that he has an in depth grasp of the geometry plus his own preferences as to how to interpret it. The discussion of clone vs original is interesting and there is merit to both pov. marko may be a good fit and go on to widen his brand.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:39 pm The ks is an interpretation/clone of the k sab, this is how things progress.
Yes indeed. The French were the first to popularize this shape decades ago and it's popular for a good reason. Maybe we should start calling it a French Chef profile. FC.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo