When will you be getting x knife back in stock?

ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

When will you be getting x knife back in stock?

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Q: When will this knife be back in stock?

This is our number one asked question by email and phone.

I'm sure many of you have gotten this canned email response from me:

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry but I never know when we will get things from our blacksmiths. Most of them are small makers and they have limited production.

The knife is on order and it should be back in stock in the next month but that is a guess. Please enter your email on the item page and I'll email you when it is available again.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
CKTG
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Klotf

Re: When will you be getting x knife back in stock?

Post by Klotf »

My question was going to be when the Kato's are going to be restocked 😉

(I have subscribed to the stock alerts btw)
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hi Kloft,

That is an excellent question. :)

I'm sorry but I never know when we will get things from our blacksmiths. Most of them are small makers and they have limited production.

The knife is on order and it should be back in stock in the next month but that is a guess. Please enter your email on the item page and I'll email you when it is available again. hahahahha

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
CKTG
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Hahaha.

Don't hold your breath on Katos. He doesn't make many knives, every vendor on earth has an order for as many of them as he can make, and every person in the knife community is signed up for that email. Every gyuto he makes between today and the day he dies will sell out in minutes. They're also more like years between shipments than months.

It's going to be easier to look forward to something like the Shiraki gyutos Mark has ordered, knives that actually exist, or better yet to try to catch a smith's wave of popularity on the way up rather than the way down.
Klotf

Post by Klotf »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:07 am Hi Kloft,

That is an excellent question. :)

The knife is on order and it should be back in stock in the next month but that is a guess. Please enter your email on the item page and I'll email you when it is available again. hahahahha

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
CKTG
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Klotf

Post by Klotf »

Lepus wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:03 pm Hahaha.

Don't hold your breath on Katos. He doesn't make many knives, every vendor on earth has an order for as many of them as he can make, and every person in the knife community is signed up for that email. Every gyuto he makes between today and the day he dies will sell out in minutes. They're also more like years between shipments than months.

It's going to be easier to look forward to something like the Shiraki gyutos Mark has ordered, knives that actually exist, or better yet to try to catch a smith's wave of popularity on the way up rather than the way down.

Don't say that dude! I still have hopes. Just need to see what the deal is with these knives. Why are they worth their weight in gold?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Klotf wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Don't say that dude! I still have hopes. Just need to see what the deal is with these knives. Why are they worth their weight in gold?
I didn't get it either until I tried one and holy sh*t, those things are worth their weight in gold! :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Klotf

Post by Klotf »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:15 pm
Klotf wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:52 pm

I didn't get it either until I tried one and holy sh*t, those things are worth their weight in gold! :D
I know I'm derailing the thread but You can't just say something like that without elaborating further...
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

That would perhaps be a good question for another thread, but part of my answer does play into this one. Katos are special knives, but other knives are special, too. If you want knives to be a hobby, and if you're trying to buy a Kato it's a hobby, it's not going to be worth the suffering to pine after one smith whose work is so scarce to the exclusion of others. Katos are only so desirable because everyone is fixated on getting "the best", but the best doesn't exist. At a $500+ price point there are many amazing knives that have their own flavors and characters that aren't better or worse, just different. So there is always someone "better", maybe someone new, maybe someone overlooked by the community. It wouldn't shock me if in a blind test you might prefer something more readily available like a Hinoura, a Mizuno, or a high end Takayuki over a Kato. In three days I can have any of those on my doorstep. I'm also quite certain there is someone in Japan (or even the US or Europe!) who is right now making a knife that would also be considered "the best" given different circumstances. That's a large part of why retailers like Mark go out to Japan every year or so, to meet new people and to try to find the next big thing.

To anyone hunting down a specific knife with a good reputation, if you want and can get one, do so. Enjoy it. Kato's knife are special. But don't lose sleep over it. This hobby is broader than that.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

When will the masamoto ks 240 be back in stock :D :lol: :lol: ;) 8-)
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Lepus, that is one awesome post, brother. I couldn't agree more.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

@Lepus - well stated. I did manage to get a Kato 210mm Gyuto that knife and my Konosuke Fujiyama B#2 210mm Gyuto are very alike in my hands and I alternate between them and find that I don't have a favorite. Every time I reach for the last sharpened knife I tell my wife I really like THIS ONE! Well "That One" can be my Kono HD2, or my T-F W#1 or --------- you get the picture all of these knife makers are pretty darn good at their craft.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Lepus wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:34 pm That would perhaps be a good question for another thread, but part of my answer does play into this one. Katos are special knives, but other knives are special, too. If you want knives to be a hobby, and if you're trying to buy a Kato it's a hobby, it's not going to be worth the suffering to pine after one smith whose work is so scarce to the exclusion of others. Katos are only so desirable because everyone is fixated on getting "the best", but the best doesn't exist. At a $500+ price point there are many amazing knives that have their own flavors and characters that aren't better or worse, just different. So there is always someone "better", maybe someone new, maybe someone overlooked by the community. It wouldn't shock me if in a blind test you might prefer something more readily available like a Hinoura, a Mizuno, or a high end Takayuki over a Kato. In three days I can have any of those on my doorstep. I'm also quite certain there is someone in Japan (or even the US or Europe!) who is right now making a knife that would also be considered "the best" given different circumstances. That's a large part of why retailers like Mark go out to Japan every year or so, to meet new people and to try to find the next big thing.

To anyone hunting down a specific knife with a good reputation, if you want and can get one, do so. Enjoy it. Kato's knife are special. But don't lose sleep over it. This hobby is broader than that.
Yes there are many knives that should be considered but these "desirables" attract people because of the high praise they have deservingly earned over a long period of time for their performance. And of course if your going to spend several hundred dollars on a high end knife your are after performance, not just "fixated on getting the best". More people are likely to shell out the big bucks on something with a proven track record over something new to the market, human nature. Your are more likely to find what you want by seeking out what's well regarded than something unknown. Katos and other such knives wouldn't be so desired if they had a reputation of being mediocre for the money. Yes there are several great overlooked knives out there that will surely rise to the same stature of the Kato and other greats but it happens over time, just as with those highly sought afters of today. When I first started buying knives all these knives you can't get your hands on now you could buy every day of the week.

I do very much agree with that last sentence.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Insnekamkze86

Post by Insnekamkze86 »

But since so many people have the same email alert they're automatically sold out by the time you get the notice. So if a knife is sold out. It's going to be sold out for a very long time. Since it seems like they only get a few back in at a tine and it's first come first serve. So good luck to who ever is able to see or get them first.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Insnekamkze86 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:10 am But since so many people have the same email alert they're automatically sold out by the time you get the notice. So if a knife is sold out. It's going to be sold out for a very long time. Since it seems like they only get a few back in at a tine and it's first come first serve. So good luck to who ever is able to see or get them first.
Very inaccurate statement. This is only true of a very few highly sought after and rare knives.
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

Jeff B wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:50 pm
Insnekamkze86 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:10 am But since so many people have the same email alert they're automatically sold out by the time you get the notice. So if a knife is sold out. It's going to be sold out for a very long time. Since it seems like they only get a few back in at a tine and it's first come first serve. So good luck to who ever is able to see or get them first.
Very inaccurate statement. This is only true of a very few highly sought after and rare knives.
+1
beanbag

Post by beanbag »

Hmm, I think a practical answer is to check in on the "new arrivals" thread, where the owner often posts stats on shipments that are incoming .
knifefight

Post by knifefight »

Is it possible that the Fujin AS knives are discontinued? I've been waiting round for months. Does anyone know of any other well performing an visually unique knives that will make for a good gift? <$210
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Production is slow in Japan. Yo Kurosaki is a very popular maker, so it often takes a while for items to come back in stock. I would sign up for the email alerts and watch threads here for when Mark talks about items that are incoming!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

knifefight wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:25 pm Is it possible that the Fujin AS knives are discontinued? I've been waiting round for months. Does anyone know of any other well performing an visually unique knives that will make for a good gift? <$210
They are not discontinued but they don't stock very often. Kurosaki has so many different lines now and supplies so many different vendors now you never know when any one of his lines will restock. He seems to produce more of his newest lines and the lines that have been around for awhile see less production.

There are many other well performing and visually unique knives out there. You just have to look through what's there and pick one. It's harder to find a bad knife than a good one these days.