Yahiko Nashiji 210 Shirogami 2 - early comments

Ourorboros

Yahiko Nashiji 210 Shirogami 2 - early comments

Post by Ourorboros »

So I bought the other Steve G video review Yahiko, the Nashiji 210 mm in White 2. I haven't had much chance to cook since receiving the knife, so these are some early observations rather than a review.

The F&F overall is good. The handle to ferrule transition is good, less than 1 mm difference.
Coming out of the handle, the blade is thick. However, one inch past the heel the spine is already noticeably thinner. It transitions smoothly into a thin tip, perfect for getting onions ready for dicing.
The spine and choil are nicely rounded, no edges to wear on your fingers.
The profile is flat. You aren't rock chopping a medium sized onion with this knife. You'd have to shingle out slices like they do when rock chopping with chuka-bochos. You might liken the profile to an elongated nakiri (realistically a santoku, but I don't like those) with a tip. Very flat until you get about 1-1/2 inches to the end, when the edge rises up to meet the spine. More than enough tip to work with, far superior to the tip of a santoku.
So choppers, this is your knife. I think it does fine with push cutting.
I have no other nashiji finished knives against which I can compare the finish.

A nice blue patina was already on the edge. Whatever Steve G tested this on did a nice job.
jbart65

Re: Yahiko Nashiji 210 Shirogami 2 - early comments

Post by jbart65 »

I've got a 240 as you know. I suspect the 240 is even better at push cutting, or as I've called it, push chopping (gliding?). The rest of your description matches what I have found. My handle to ferrule is as good as it gets. Nicer looking in person too, even though it looks good in photos.

Probably the second best chopping profile I have encountered on CKTG after the Tet Hammered.
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

jbart65 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:18 pm I've got a 240 as you know. I suspect the 240 is even better at push cutting, or as I've called it, push chopping (gliding?). The rest of your description matches what I have found. My handle to ferrule is as good as it gets. Nicer looking in person too, even though it looks good in photos.

Probably the second best chopping profile I have encountered on CKTG after the Tet Hammered.
Is the Gihei b2 third in that lineup?
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

No, Spence. Konosuke ginsan. Short at the heel, but a great chopping profile. The Tet, Yahiko and Kono stand above the others.

I'd put the Gihei in the second tier.
Jeffry B
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

jbart65 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:00 pm No, Spence. Konosuke ginsan. Short at the heel, but a great chopping profile. The Tet, Yahiko and Kono stand above the others.

I'd put the Gihei in the second tier.
Also, a huge fan of the kono ginsan, one of my favorite knives. I could see it not being for everybody, but it basically ticks the boxes for me.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

One of the ones I most regret selling, Ramon. Wish it were just 2 mm taller ...
Jeffry B
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I have lusted over that knife. The only thing that keeps me from buying is the height :cry:
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Interestingly I run a battery of Kono Ginsan 240 & Yahiko Nashiki 210. I wanted the Tetsuhiro 240 when I became aware of it and watched the vid, but by then it was too late.
I guess I have a type.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

@ spence, jb - yeah the short height seems to bother some. For me it kind of adds that other dimension of sort of being a small suji too.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

You guys are really making me want one of these! I am just a lowly home cook and have at least a dozen different gyutos already that I really like and have no need for another. But with us when is it ever really about need! 8-)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.