Looking Glass Edges

Moderator: Peter Nowlan

Peter Nowlan

Looking Glass Edges

Post by Peter Nowlan »

I had two identical Spderco folders come in so I decided to experiment a little and do one freehand and the other on the Edge Pro Professional using the same brand of stones and grit.

The sequence was Naniwa Chosera 400, 1k, 3k, 5k, 10k for both. No stropping of any form.

Freehand on top..

I always find that the polish really starts to show at the Chosera 3k level and I could stop at the 5k. I use a lot of water and I spend a lot of time on the 400 with many adjustments in pressure.
rcc000

Re: Looking Glass Edges

Post by rcc000 »

The first picture is for the freehand method?
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Yes it was. Typically if a customer wants a polished edge I'll use the EP on folders. I just felt like doing one freehand to see if it would turn out. I find it more difficult freehand to polish the bevels. They both feel just as sharp.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Excellent Peter! I don't know if the EP is easier for that situation but your freehand is just as nice!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Very nice!
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thanks😊
It doesn't always turn out as well as the EP, depends on the size of the Bevels I suppose and how much surface area there is. The next time I'm going to take pics at each grit to see the difference
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Wow. That's incredible. Something new to work to try to learn how to do. No stropping?

Thanks for posting. Off the cuff without it I wouldn't have known it was possible.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Hi, I bet you could do this. I've never relied on any strops and compounds to achieve the final polish. I am in now way suggesting that they are no effective, I just don't use them. Maybe I should and I will to see what happens, I'll do it next time.
I was taught how to do this from others and it always comes down to having patience with the first stone and manipulating pressure on it. I'm pretty sure lots of folks do this on a regular basis so give it a shot.

Also, these type of finishes are purely aesthetic in nature, not that Important in my opinion. I see it as a challenge and something enjoyable. If Point A is Dull then my destination is Point B, as sharp as I can make it and a happy owner. The polished bevels are optional points along the way, far less important.