New 240mm Gyuto/Chef Knife WIP

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Thezep

New 240mm Gyuto/Chef Knife WIP

Post by Thezep »

Here's my new template for full size Gyuto/Chef Knife, this particular one will be in CPM-3v
I will get some better pictures for yall to take a gander at tommarow and Monday, hopefully it will be done or close to it by then 8-) I will also be doing a hidden tang version.
Thezep

Re: New 240mm Gyuto/Chef Knife WIP

Post by Thezep »

Well, sometimes things don't go as planned. I tried my hand at some electro-etching to give it some contrast and it went completely awry. I used a test piece before I did the knife and it turned out exactly how I wanted it to, but then when I tried it on the actual blade it ended up very spotty and deeply pitted in some spots and almost untouched in other spots. Normally I use Ferric Chloride for this kind of thing but I am trying to find a method without using harsh chemicals. This would be especially useful for steels with chromium that don't etch easily in acids. I'm fairly confident I will get better results if I can find a way to pump more DC current in, I just don't think I had enough to get an even etch.
timos

Post by timos »

cool looking profile! Maybe you could try using a resist and a stronger acid like muriatic?

keep up the good work!
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

timos wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:55 pm cool looking profile! Maybe you could try using a resist and a stronger acid like muriatic?

keep up the good work!
I may have to, at least until I can get a proper DC power supply. Ferric works well but it's kind of pricey and it loses its potency so it's always kind of a guess how strong it will be, same goes for muriatic and vinegar. I'm really aiming for consistency, trying to take the guess work out of my etching process.
Willison_Knives

Post by Willison_Knives »

good looking knife! do you have a picture of the test piece? sometimes my mind can't make sense of things without visuals.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Really like the profile. Looks like it has good height at the heel, which I'm a fan of.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Really like the profile. Looks like it has good height and a nice flat spot at the heel, which I'm a fan of.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

Willison_Knives wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:59 pm good looking knife! do you have a picture of the test piece? sometimes my mind can't make sense of things without visuals.
I dont have any pictures but I do still have it laying around, I'll snap a pic if I can remember
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

Finally got around to profiling and heat treating another one. Changed up the handle a little bit too. Still a lot of work to do on this one but I learned my lesson with the electrolysis after ruining an expensive piece of steel lol.

Thezep

Post by Thezep »

Got the grinding done today, now it's time to clean it up a bit by hand.
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

Ok, finally got the first one of these finished, it took a long time to finish this macadamia wood but it turned out pretty nice, it's quite porous but not as bad as walnut.

milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

Looks sharp! get it? yuk yuk :lol:

The profile and grind look really nice. I am also digging the handle, especially the macadamia. Kinda surprised it's not as common on handles as some other exotic woods because it looks cool to me.
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

Thanks milk, it is a little hard to come by but its not very expensive, i think it was 7$ for these. I didn't want to use premium scales on what is essentially a prototype that I am going to keep.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Grind looks nicely done. I also like tbe look of the handle. Curious how it feels in tbe hand. Fantastic looking knive man, u got some style.
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

Cutuu wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:33 pm Grind looks nicely done. I also like tbe look of the handle. Curious how it feels in tbe hand. Fantastic looking knive man, u got some style.
Thanks much, It feels pretty good to me but I'll know more after I use it for a couple months. I am going to offer this knife, and all of my knives for that matter in full tang and hidden tang versions. Stay tuned, I should be turning out a hidden tang version with a full flat grind in the next couple months with a hamon,