Sharpening School has been updated

Moderator: Peter Nowlan

Peter Nowlan

Sharpening School has been updated

Post by Peter Nowlan »

http://www.knifeplanet.net/lesson-2-sha ... damentals/

Knifeplanet has published the second set of videos and a very lengthy article that was several weeks in the making. Jon Broida helped me a lot with it and I'm not sure I can improve upon it with my level of knowledge. The goal of the project was to provide free sharpening lessons online to novices. I can tell without doubt that there will be people who criticize it, I don't care at this stage about them. I'm not hurting anyone by writing about sharpening and doing a video.
If you watch it and like it, thanks and if you don't like, thanks for watching.
Peter
RonAZ

Re: Sharpening School has been updated

Post by RonAZ »

I'll definitely check it out, I've always learned a lot from your sharpening advice.
Ron
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Watched. Thank you for keeping us posted! As for people not liking what you post, you can not please everyone. You could be the best at everything in the world and very humble about it but there would always be that one person out there, if you know what I mean. It takes stones (no pun intended) to put yourself out there on video and open yourself to the criticism. I for one respect that and enjoy reading/watching what you post.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thanks Kit, the next video may be on Thinning by Jon in a couple of weeks, or another topic but we want to follow a logical sequence.
I don't really care to be honest about negative comments, unless of course that's all there was then I would just shut it all down but there are many folks who are emailing Knifeplanet and making positive comments. It isn't perfect of course, but if it helps people than my goal is achieved. I learn from them as well, it's freaking hard sharpening and talking at the same time.
Frankkj

Post by Frankkj »

I watched the new video, and although I have been sharpening my own knives for over 50 years, I still seem to pick up new wisdom and insight.
I thought this video, like the first "school" video, was well done and the concepts well explained.
For those that choose to take exception to you ideas and presentation, it is their choice. Just doesn't happen to be mine.
Keep up the good work.

Frank K
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Thank you very much Frank. Between us we have about 90 years of sharpening but I've learned more in the last 5 years than I did the first 35. Heck, I think I learned more yesterday than in the first 10 years :)
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:07 am Thanks Kit, the next video may be on Thinning by Jon in a couple of weeks, or another topic but we want to follow a logical sequence.
I don't really care to be honest about negative comments, unless of course that's all there was then I would just shut it all down but there are many folks who are emailing Knifeplanet and making positive comments. It isn't perfect of course, but if it helps people than my goal is achieved. I learn from them as well, it's freaking hard sharpening and talking at the same time.
I can't sharpen and talk, I just can't. If my wife asks me something she has learned that the response will be delayed. :lol:
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:51 pmI can't sharpen and talk, I just can't. If my wife asks me something she has learned that the response will be delayed. :lol:
It's nice to know I am not alone in this. When in the middle of a project, I don't like interruption but after some "feedback" from my wife, I'm trying to find a balance for the sake of a happy relationship. Luckily, she is a good sport about it.