Goko or Takeda Sasanoha?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Goko or Takeda Sasanoha?

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hello again Mark,

Just received a notification that the Goko White #1 240mm Gyuto is available. This is one of the gyutos i've been eye-ing-- I like that the Goko has a bit of weight to it, and it's a relatively tall blade.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokogyuto240mm.html

My only concern is the slight asymmetrical grind. Would that make a noticeable difference while cutting as a lefty? I would assume that I'd be able to reverse the grind when I sharpen it over time.

The other gyuto i've been eyeing is the Takeda Sasanoha, which is out of stock. Beautiful knife....
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sasanoha.html

I'm conflicted between the two. While the Goko looks to fit my needs, the kurouchi finish on the Sasanoha (and the AS core) is so hard to pass up...! Can I ask for your two cents on the knives?

Apologies for bombarding you with questions, but i'd like to have an expert's opinion before pulling the trigger..!

Regards,
Michael
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
SteveG

Re: Goko or Takeda Sasanoha?

Post by SteveG »

Michael, I'm a left and the Goko should not present any issues. If the edge bevel is asymmetric OOTB and the knife exhibits minor steering through taller product, you could adjust the bevel symmetry during the first sharpening session. That said, I've tried a few Goko knives and didn't have any issues w/steering.

On a separate topic, the Takeda and Goko are such different knives that it's hard to recommend one over the other unless you have strong preferences that make one an obvious choice.

The Takeda is very light, quite thin, high performance, has some blade flex, has the unique Takeda grind, etc. The Goko is a stiff, confident feeling blade that has some mass, while still being a very good performing knife. The Takeda normally has better fit & finish, while the Goko has some refined rustic charm (character). The Goko is a little more forgiving with it's lower HRC white steel that is super easy to sharpen. Edge retention goes to the Takeda.

I would check out any product reviews in this forum on the Sasanoha. It can be a polarizing knife, given it's somewhat unique characteristics.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

I think Steve nailed this one. These knives are exceptionally different from one another. Boilerplate treatment, the Goko will probably be a better all round tool, the Takeda more a unique and exquisite expression of what a JK can be.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I have never used the Goko, but can say I did not like the Sasanoha. I love my regular Takeda, but the Sasanoha had too much flex for my taste.
desol

Post by desol »

I'd take the Takeda at the Goko height...
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

"I'd take the Takeda at the Goko height..."

I bet that would fly off the shelves.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I have the sasanoha 210, which is a great length-height-size combination, in my opinion. It performs like a smaller, lighter gyuto for smaller meals, and is especially good for salad fixings. It is frankly a little difficult to imagine this knife performing as well at the 240mm length. The 210 is a good length for the combination of a shorter height and the thinness; otherwise, if you are unfamiliar with the Takeda experience AND if you think you want something a little taller and a bit more robust, I would steer clear.

I have not used the Goko, but my impression is that these are pretty no-nonsense performers and easily to tailor to one's own preferences. The Takeda would...NOT be easy to tailor: you either like this knife exactly as it is, or you don't like the knife. Period.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

salemj wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:26 pm ...but my impression is that these are pretty no-nonsense performers and easily to tailor to one's own preferences. The Takeda would...NOT be easy to tailor: you either like this knife exactly as it is, or you don't like the knife. Period.
Bravo, Joe. Took the words right out my...keyboard?
sharp#

Post by sharp# »

Thank you all for your responses! Mark was kind enough to answer my initial questions and relayed my questions to the forum. It's great to see such a supportive community that's welcoming to newcomers.

I was reading Dmiller's thread "Looking for a new knife", so i'd like to preface by providing a little background info about me as well...
- I'm not a professional cook, just enjoy cook at home.
- A chopper / push-cutter
- A lefty
- Budget is around $200~350
- No preference for Shiro/Aogami steel
- My main tool is a Misono UX-10 (210mm) gyuto that I received as a gift a while back. While a great knife, I find it a little too thin, short, and light for my liking... Feels like i'll chop off a finger or two.
- Minimal experience with whetstones, but I do own a 1000 & 5000 grid stone (double sided).

Judging from the responses from this thread, it appears the Goko would be the better choice between the two in regards to what i'm looking for-- sturdy & tall.

Are there any recommendations for a tall, 210mm or 240mm (preferred) gyuto with a kurouchi finish?

Cheers, and nice meeting you all.
Michael
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

What's up sharp? And welcome to the forums.

I see where you're headed aside from one minor discrepancy. The Goko sports a Nashiji finish, not Kurouchi. It's no biggie. They're easily confused. I'm assuming you're ok with either, but I don't wanna start throwing around recommendations without knowing for sure. Is this an either/or or are you particularly partial to that sexy scale leftover from the forging process?
gladius

Post by gladius »

sharp# wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pmAre there any recommendations for a tall, 210mm or 240mm (preferred) gyuto with a kurouchi finish?
-------
Shiro Kamo AS 240...a bomb knife...

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shkaasgy24.html

Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

I thought Kamo too gladius. The thing that stopped me was the iron cladding. The OP expressed interest in two knives, both of which are stainless clad. Made me apprehesive.

Solid choice though.
sharp#

Post by sharp# »

Jsgillis86 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:13 am What's up sharp? And welcome to the forums.

I see where you're headed aside from one minor discrepancy. The Goko sports a Nashiji finish, not Kurouchi. It's no biggie. They're easily confused. I'm assuming you're ok with either, but I don't wanna start throwing around recommendations without knowing for sure. Is this an either/or or are you particularly partial to that sexy scale leftover from the forging process?
All is well here! :D
My mistake, as I didn't elaborate in my earlier post-- not sure how I feel about the "pear-skin" finish..
I like the kamo that gladius recommended. This would be my first carbon knife, would it be too much of a jump for a newbie?

I'm really liking the ogata white#2. What are you guys' thoughts on this blade?
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shblda24gy.html
desol

Post by desol »

gladius wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:25 am
sharp# wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pmAre there any recommendations for a tall, 210mm or 240mm (preferred) gyuto with a kurouchi finish?
-------
Shiro Kamo AS 240...a bomb knife...

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/shkaasgy24.html

AS, at 54mm tall! Always liked the Kamo from the first day I saw it.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

sharp# wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm
Are there any recommendations for a tall, 210mm or 240mm (preferred) gyuto with a kurouchi finish?

Cheers, and nice meeting you all.
Michael
I wonder if you have considered the Takeda AS 210mm Small Gyuto?
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/takedagyuto.html
I have the same knife and it is a stunning performer, looker and easy to maintain. It comes in at almost 220mm and is nicely tall at the heel.
A true classic of a blade.
BTW...I did not mention the 240mm as it is OOS right now.
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

If you like the goko then check out the Kanehiro AS 240! 10 Xs the knife!
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

sharp# wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm While a great knife, I find it a little too thin, short, and light for my liking.
Micheal, I gotta say, if I were to describe Takeda knives, thin and light would top my list of adjectives.
jdbennett101

Post by jdbennett101 »

As somebody that owns both knives, I can attest that they are very different. I feel you on your desire for tall knives. The Takeda is a gorgeous, nimble knife that I currently enjoy breaking down greens with; but I am always conscientious about how I handle it. I was truly blown away by how light the Takeda is in hand.

That being said, if you are looking for tall and sturdy, you cannot go wrong with Goko. It is sturdy enough to process almost anything without much thought and takes a great edge it a short amount of time. I love it, a solid workhorse. Also, I believe that the Goko would be a better transition from the Misono if you are new to the "more exotic" JKs. Who knows, down the road you may likely own both... Regardless, enjoy the search!
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

cedarhouse wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:00 pm
sharp# wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:54 pm While a great knife, I find it a little too thin, short, and light for my liking.
Micheal, I gotta say, if I were to describe Takeda knives, thin and light would top my list of adjectives.
Gotta disagree. I would more say "all over the god damn place". That 240 Sas I sampled was so thin it would bend mid-air if I wiggled it hard enough. The 210 classic I sampled was a tree trunk.
Jsgillis86

Post by Jsgillis86 »

@sharp, No, I don't think it would be too big of a jump, but you've gotta be aware of what comes with. Some like the authenticity. Some don't mind the occasional two minute wine cork/baking soda slurry scrub down. Some actually acknowledge that iron cladding is much easier to thin.

On the other hand, some find iron cladding tedious, pointless even. Why would one bother when one isn't gonna thin said cladding for ten years? Why would one not want to worry about just the exposed core steel at the edge?

They both have benefits, they both have downfalls, and (despite what some might say) there is no right and there is no wrong. It's more about who you are as a person and how you view your cutting session. We can throw our favorites out there all day long but in the end it's about what you can tolerate and what you appreciate. Hence why I tend to get carried away trying to get to know you through a screen and three or four forum messages before you decide what the best option is for you. Speaking of..

Tell me your thoughts on iron vs stainless. Let's see where that one goes.