Thinning out the collection.

Here you can research prices of sold items.
Aaronjs364

Thinning out the collection.

Post by Aaronjs364 »

Hello everyone. Have been getting more into creating and working on knives of my own vs. collecting new ones over the last year. I want to sell some of the ones I don't really use to buy some new grinding and possibly even some forging equipment. Looking to sell these five knives. Shipping to the continental US only. I will pay for the shipping on the Takeda and Kitaoka. I will split it with you on the others.

Going from left to right

Takeda 150mm petty.
Never really fell in love with this one. It still has most of the lacquer finish and has a beautiful buckeye custom handle. Sharpened a handful of times, nothing major. I have come to prefer knives that feel more substantial and this thing is crazy thin and light. Burnt saya included but will need a pin hole drilled and a pin, just never got around to it.

Asking $320

Ikeda 210mm gyuto.
AS core with mildly (especially at this point) reactive cladding and a nice subtle damascus. The handle on this one is slightly warped, Mark sent me a new one but I would not have been able to get the old one without destroying it. I really wanted to throw the old one on a beater knife so I never switched them out. Caused a small blemish on the ferrule trying to remove it. It also had a small chip in the end of the heel and ground about 1mm off. I just don't find many situations where I use this knife. It is a pleasure to use, just doesn't get used enough. Normally reach for a 240 or a petty. My friend at work made a saya for it. When I burned it it cracked at the spine. It still friction fits at the right angle and does the job. It has been sharpened with natural stones and has a killer edge on it.

Asking $160 as is with the saya. If you really want the replacement handle let me know and we can work something out, I am currently looking to use it on a project knife though.

Kohetsu Hap 40 240mm wa-gyuto.
Great knife but got a good deal on a Kurosaki AS 240 a few months after purchasing and prefer the heavier Kurosaki. Still very thin behind the edge despite quite a few sharpening sessions. The cladding has some minor scratching that comes normal with use. Burnt and sanded the handle for comfort. Right now it is fairly rough at about 400 grit. I could polish it up up to 1k if you would like.

Asking $150

Kitaoka 240 damascus k tip yanagi.
This was reground by Ken S to get rid of the microbevel (factory) and a bent tip (my fault). The tips on these are so ridiculously thin I took another mm or two off the tip to prevent any future issues. I love this thing and it slices like nothing else I have used. I recently picked up a Kurosaki suji that is a bit beefier and easier for me to sharpen being double beveled, it is just more practical in my work environment. With that being said I would like this to go to someone who will really appreciate it and give it the care it needs.The saya was for a 270 cut it down from the opening side, knife did not fit after. Pieced it back together and cut it down from the tip. Not the prettiest thing now but it friction fits perfect. I will include the saya, it's not going to fit anything else.

Asking $280

Fujiwara carbon 270mm sujihiki.

I don't have a need for this knife anymore with my new suji. It has a really nice edge on it now (much better than factory) and it always surprises me with how sharp it gets. A bit thicker behind the edge (good for a suji imo). Barely reactive anymore and has some mustard patina on it. Solid workhorse knife.

Asking $60
Aaronjs364

Re: Thinning out the collection.

Post by Aaronjs364 »

I have not been active on the forum since it switched over but have been a customer of the site for awhile. I have had a lot of correspondence with Mark and asked to carry over my old forum account so I could sell. Feel free to check out my Instagram @double_a_sharp. I live in cleveland and am a chef at the Ritz Carlton here.
JohnnyR

Post by JohnnyR »

On the Ikeda what are the marks in the edge of the steel around the choil area? Are they just reflections?
John
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Hi Aaronjs.
Please don't think I'm being a busy body but might I suggest posting these in separate threads. When you get to 5 knives or more to sell it gets really confusing...at least to me. Plus monitoring which ones do sell and marking them as such is much easier. This will help you sell them too, as the search engines will home in on the title of the knife on offer. Right now they won't find you at all. Just a thought.
Really nice knives mate!
Aloha.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Pm sent
Aaronjs364

Post by Aaronjs364 »

Regards to the Ikeda I got a pretty good chip in the last mm or so where there was a backsweep in the heel (tiny pebble hiding in some root veg). I ground it off. Instead of having a masakage style backsweep it just goes down. That is just some relief, it was hard to get that angle. In not sure if that's what you were looking at. I can sand it down more or would be willing to negotiate price if you have a good home for it!
Aaronjs364

Post by Aaronjs364 »

Hmm very good point mauichef. This is my first time selling. Will definately try and split up the post when I get a chance. Thanks for the advice!
Grandprix

Post by Grandprix »

Pm incoming in the two Gyutos.
Grandprix

Post by Grandprix »

Sorry, tried to pm. I didn't carry over my old. I just signed up a new account. My fault. Please if you would PM/email me and we can work out the details. Thank you.
Aaronjs364

Post by Aaronjs364 »

Sales pending for Hap 40, Fujiwara Sujihiki, and Ikeda.
Going to work on reposting the others individually.
Aaronjs364

Post by Aaronjs364 »

Suji is sold. Sale pending on hap 40