Marko Tsourkan Knives

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Robstreperous

Re: Marko Tsourkan Knives

Post by Robstreperous »

In the end, almost all we work with is interpretation, refinement or adaptation. Maybe that's why anything revolutionary is..... well.... revolutionary!

Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Robstreperous wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:16 am In the end, almost all we work with is interpretation, refinement or adaptation. Maybe that's why anything revolutionary is..... well.... revolutionary!

That image reminds me of a KS....
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

^^^^ I'm pretty sure that's the original.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

It could use a little sandpaper on the choil and spine.
salemj

Post by salemj »

"Maybe we should call it the French Chef profile, FC"

Just as long as you don't call it the new "workhorse" profile! Haha.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I like FC too, or SP (Sabatier Profile). Says it all.
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with. Have been in touch with Marko earlier this year but I'd love to support your joint project.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

mauichef wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:11 am ...Don't begrudge Mark and Sue that enviable situation :D
I don't begrudge Mark and Sue in any way! He's doing what he feels is in the best interest of everyone and his business.
I was just expressing a personal opinion, nothing more. Not trying speak for the majority or down to Mark.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:29 am
Robstreperous wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:16 am Image
That image reminds me of a KS....
:D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:19 pm
mauichef wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:11 am ...Don't begrudge Mark and Sue that enviable situation :D
I don't begrudge Mark and Sue in any way! He's doing what he feels is in the best interest of everyone and his business.
I was just expressing a personal opinion, nothing more. Not trying speak for the majority or down to Mark.
I will say that Jeffs been around for a long time, he's seen what's was and what is. That being, I'd listen to his opinion...... he's one of the old timers.
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

What’s the status of this?
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Still waiting. Marko called me last week and said we would be getting samples at the end of last week but so far they have not shown up. He's methodical and I'm patient so I'll just wait until he's ready and once I get them I'll announce. Years ago he did handles and sayas for me and it was the same way. It was usually worth the wait once he delivered.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
alanhuth

Post by alanhuth »

I would love a Marko KS. Is there a waiting list yet? Do I have to pay extra to be first on the list?
Marc4pt0

Post by Marc4pt0 »

I just saw this thread for the first time. I currently have a Marko 240 with his KS-esque profile in Devin Thomas's mystery carbon steel. I've also had several others of his. For the most part his work is all A+++'s for sure. I'm eager to see what comes of this. Especially if the steel used is A2!
Marko Tsourkan

Post by Marko Tsourkan »

Hello there,

a little late to the thread, my apologies.

The knives in the picture are on the way to CKTG.

A2 is a very promising steel. I have been working with this steel since 2010, on and off. In the last year or so, we finally settled on the heat treatment recipe. A2 does need to be manipulated quite a bit during the heat treatment process to get most of the benefits out of it, but the results are very satisfactory - this steel sharpens well on water stones, has excellent wear resistance and better stain resistance than carbon steels (A2 has 5% chromium). I recommend finishing it on a fine diamond stone or on a leather or felt strop loaded with 1-2M diamond spray to get to the "crazy sharp" feel.

The majority of the knives (4 gyutos and 2 sujis) are symmetrically ground. Profiles on all knives are derived from Masamoto, but are not an exact copy - the edge curve is very similar to Masamoto, but the spine curve has a little more "meat on the bones" so to speak. This reflects my personal preferences; I like to give knives "workhorse" feel, even though they have thin geometry. I also prefer larger handles, relatively flat profiles, etc.

Two of the knives are asymmetrically ground and (one is for a lefty). Asymmetry is achieved by shifting the center line and increasing one bevel relative to the other. There are several Japanese makers who use this geometry, Mizuno probably being the most known. I like this geometry a lot. I think it is a perfect geometry for a workhorse gyuto.

Handles are D-style, oversize and tapered at the ferrule. Materials - cocobolo and bog oak. The spacer is man-made ivory.

The knives have distinctively hand-made feel.

The knives should be in Mark's possession this week. I am actually out of the country at the moment. I made arrangement for shipping the knives early this week, but found out that they haven't been shipped yet (((.. Sorry. Correcting that.

I look forward to feedback on these.

Many thanks,

Marko
Attachments
CKTGA2.jpg
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I have a number of knives that use A2 steel and these are good knives, relatively easy to sharpen and able to take a good bit of rough use.

Nice work! Welcome to the forum!

---
Ken
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Nice to meet you Marko. I for one am certainly looking forward to trying one of these. I’ve heard such great things about your work.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Great. Now I have to stalk the new arrival page again.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

This is the page where you can find one of them. I’m recycling the old Masamoto Ks page since I’m sick of getting emailed about them. I’ll work on cleaning it up once we get it. The copy needs to be fixed, the reviews have to be deleted and new picture and video and a saya has to be added. But it will at least allow you guys to enter your emails while we get it together. Also, pricing is not set yet.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Change of plans. I'm going to set up a new page for this item. The thought occurred to me that customers that had signed up for the old KS will be very confused if they get an email that shows these new knives. Here is the new page for them. I'll just delete the old KS page.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/matsa2gy24.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo