One pan to rule them all?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
delmar

Re: One pan to rule them all?

Post by delmar »

Agree with desol - used to buy cheapie non sticks at costco commercial yearly and rotate out. Have now looked to non Teflon alternatives.

Don't go with scan pans. They don't honor warranty, dont handle heat well, and have known issue with handle junction. I'll spare the forum with details, but if you need to know more, just ask.

My mom has a bunch of my grandma's cast iron, including one with a big + or cross on bottom. Anyone know what it is? They are all smooth as glass on bottom. Apparently mine when my mom decides she doesn't want them any more. Looking forward to it.

For economical, I have been enjoying the sur la tabLe "green pan" relabels. Conduct heat well, good release, clean up well. Pretty light weight, which is a pro and con with me. But couldn't beat the price at holiday sale with online discount.

+1 for all clad. Love using them. Will get more when funds are available (probably when CKTG shuts down...ha ha)

Last, my well seasoned lodge cast irons will only be taken from my cold dead hands. I enjoy them that much.
J david

Post by J david »

The criss on the bottom is a Griswold.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

J david wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:43 pm
gastro gnome wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:18 pm
Still, if you want something for omelettes made with fresh out of the fridge eggs, nothing but teflon will do.
Respectfully disagree
You find cast iron does this for you?

I have a Wagner that I personally stripped and restored. It's very nice, but I don't think it handles cold eggs well.

Although, I should admit, that I mostly fry eggs, rather than making omelettes, so maybe I should amend my statement to specifically apply to that. I think frying eggs is the most difficult test because all the protein-heavy, fat-free white is on the bottom in direct contact with the pan and the oil.
J david

Post by J david »

gastro gnome wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:50 pm
J david wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:43 pm
gastro gnome wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:18 pm
Still, if you want something for omelettes made with fresh out of the fridge eggs, nothing but teflon will do.
Respectfully disagree
You find cast iron does this for you?

I have a Wagner that I personally stripped and restored. It's very nice, but I don't think it handles cold eggs well.
I do. They are not all the same and how well the seasoning sticks to the pan is different from one to the next. Brands don't matter and you can't tell by looking at them either. I've stripped and refinished at least 150 pieces of vintage cast iron and have used them all along the way. I've owned a Finex and unloaded it because it wouldn't season like I wanted. I've moved on from very collectable pieces for the same reason. My guess is the iron composition varies and this can affect how well the seasoning sticks.

Also, it is important to start with a hot pan and then add your fat. I made omlets this morning on a Wagner. I routinely cook cold eggs on a large griddle pan. I couldn't live without my cast iron.
sharksfan7

Post by sharksfan7 »

gastro gnome wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:50 pm
I think frying eggs is the most difficult test because all the protein-heavy, fat-free white is on the bottom in direct contact with the pan and the oil.
Yeah. As much as I love my carbon steel for omelettes, when I try to do fried eggs they stick pretty badly. I like my eggs over easy and I have a hell of a time flipping em without breaking everything. With my teflon coated skillet, they slide around like a hockey puck on ice and I can flip them with a quick snap of the wrist. Anyone got the secret to frying eggs over easy in carbon steel or cast iron? Is my seasoning just not good enough?
--Tony
desol

Post by desol »

A bit of oil and low heat = non stick in any pan.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Been looking at some hand made carbon steel recently. This one caught my eye but I have never used it.

http://blanccreatives.com/store/saucier
TomCutlery

Post by TomCutlery »

desol wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:23 pm A bit of oil and low heat = non stick in any pan.
This is truth, I fry eggs all the time in stainless clad, no sticking except I use a little butter with eggs.
DicedZombies

Post by DicedZombies »

desol wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:10 pm Personally, I don't want teflon anywhere near any food I'm ingesting...

Interesting on the Finex. The handle did look a little bulky actually on their web page. I figured the corners were to make it easier to wedge food against, to get out of the pan.
I've used the sides for that also. The handle actually fits my hands great, and it really does do a great job of staying cool.

I'm not saying they are the best, just that I love their character and performance. I bought them during the fathers day sale so I got a good price and free shipping.
S Clark

Post by S Clark »

"
My mom has a bunch of my grandma's cast iron, including one with a big + or cross on bottom. Anyone know what it is? '

Sounds like a Griswold, out of Pennsylvania. They were a higher quality brand back in the day.
S Clark

Post by S Clark »

Oops. J. David was way ahead of my and I missed his response.
Anyway, they are nice cast iron pans.
noobknife

Post by noobknife »

I recommend a heavy stainless steel wok. it has a smaller bottom so you'll minimize the cool spots for heat distribution. You can steam, fry, cook, saute, and even smoke in it with some hacking.
Afjagjones

Post by Afjagjones »

Wow- all good advice. I'm leaning toward a the chef's pan/wok/tall fryer. I like the all-clad but thats not in the price range...

In the vollrath range- which line is sufficient?

Whats the advantage of a "domed" lid?
ceast

Post by ceast »

Kalaeb wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:23 pm Been looking at some hand made carbon steel recently. This one caught my eye but I have never used it.

http://blanccreatives.com/store/saucier
Do it. A bunch of my chef friends/colleagues around town have his stuff and love it.
ceast

Post by ceast »

Afjagjones wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 pm Wow- all good advice. I'm leaning toward a the chef's pan/wok/tall fryer. I like the all-clad but thats not in the price range...

I have a cheap carbon steel wok at work you're welcome to try and see if you like it. It was given to me and we never use it. Might need a little seasoning love.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Afjagjones wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 pm Wow- all good advice. I'm leaning toward a the chef's pan/wok/tall fryer. I like the all-clad but thats not in the price range...

I find that a domed lid promotes much more even cooking. I'm not going to pretend to be too scientific about it, but it essentially allows the very hot air to get farther away from the food before cooling and condensing; this also likely produces better convection currents in the air overall. Think of it like tenting a steak: too close and the moisture will bead on the steak rather than on the tent or escaping all together.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Afjagjones

Post by Afjagjones »

salemj wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:34 pm
Afjagjones wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 pm
I find that a domed lid promotes much more even cooking. I'm not going to pretend to be too scientific about it, but it essentially allows the very hot air to get farther away from the food before cooling and condensing; this also likely produces better convection currents in the air overall. Think of it like tenting a steak: too close and the moisture will bead on the steak rather than on the tent or escaping all together.

Seems legit. I was thinking it might offer some tagine-action.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

desol wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:23 pm A bit of oil and low heat = non stick in any pan.
You can also salt the pan before you add the food. Helps with release
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Chefspence wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:27 pm
You can also salt the pan before you add the food. Helps with release
Never heard that one before Chefspence. I may give that a try.

I like this method for frying eggs so low heat is a no go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQD6S6v4TyU
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Depends. I try to buy the best I can...I don't want to have to buy again in three years. The Vollrath triply version is good but more pricey, likely around 100-150 for a saucier. I used the aluminum with stainless interior coating in my restaurants for years. If your intent is just to get something until you get out of the place you are in go for that. If you intend to use for the rest of your life, get the triply.