Is there interest in a cutting board passaround?

Moderator: Bensbites

Bensbites

Is there interest in a cutting board passaround?

Post by Bensbites »

I am starting to work on end grain cutting boards design and production. Is there any interest in passing around a board for feedback?

American hardwoods, 1.5-2 inches thick, end grain...

Thanks,
Ben
gastro gnome

Re: Is there interest in a cutting board passaround?

Post by gastro gnome »

Absolutely. I'm a huge fan of quality cutting boards and would be happy to test out and offer feedback.

Shipping would be more expensive than knife passarounds, but totally doable.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

What size are you thinking about doing for the passaround? For reference on shipping, if I remember correctly, my 18" x 24" x 2" was around $60 via USPS. I've been considering getting a smaller board so I would be interested in joining this if possible. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Ben!
--- Steve
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

pd7077 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:35 am What size are you thinking about doing for the passaround? For reference on shipping, if I remember correctly, my 18" x 24" x 2" was around $60 via USPS. I've been considering getting a smaller board so I would be interested in joining this if possible. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Ben!
I was thinking more like 12 x 18 x 2 inches. Maybe slightly thinner. At one point I looked into shipping costs and expected them to be about $30.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Super generous, but I think your nuts. Shipping would be ridiculous and USPS will destroy it before it gets to the second person.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

It might seem like a good idea, but I would be afraid of the costs and the damage from repeated shipping.

Maybe a smaller board would work just as well for a passaround?

I'm trying to think what kind of feedback you might be looking for. And what potential customers would like to find out from a passaround too. I think customers would like to know if the construction and quality was good, is the thing flat, glued well, made of good quality wood, etc. If you look online at eBay or Etsy, you can see a lot of examples where the maker didn't put a lot of care into choosing the most attractive ways of lining up the blocks to get an attractive pattern, and sometimes you can see that the strips on an end grain board weren't measured and lined up precisely enough.
datster

Post by datster »

Ben, I have to agree with the others, $30 is like 20% of the cost of a good board paid just to spend a few days with one. I've seen your handle work, I'm guessing you'll make great boards. I would rather put my $30 into owning vs renting on a board
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

milkbaby wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:31 pm It might seem like a good idea, but I would be afraid of the costs and the damage from repeated shipping.

Maybe a smaller board would work just as well for a passaround?

I'm trying to think what kind of feedback you might be looking for. And what potential customers would like to find out from a passaround too. I think customers would like to know if the construction and quality was good, is the thing flat, glued well, made of good quality wood, etc. If you look online at eBay or Etsy, you can see a lot of examples where the maker didn't put a lot of care into choosing the most attractive ways of lining up the blocks to get an attractive pattern, and sometimes you can see that the strips on an end grain board weren't measured and lined up precisely enough.
Fair questions and comments.

A pass around would alert me to any issues with wood quality, and shipping conditions. While I am pretty sure my supplier gave me quality wood, before I accept anyone’s money for this product, I need to make sure there are not defects that I can’t see. I want a board to get reasonably abused and see that it survives.

I am not worried about the craftsmanship. I can line up glue lines, use top quality glue and analyze online photos to determine how I want these boards to look and function.

Thanks for the honest feedback.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

datster wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:18 pm Ben, I have to agree with the others, $30 is like 20% of the cost of a good board paid just to spend a few days with one. I've seen your handle work, I'm guessing you'll make great boards. I would rather put my $30 into owning vs renting on a board
Thank you for the honestly and vote of confidence.