Kitchenware Deals Sub Forum?

Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.
Forum rules
Post great deals you've discovered on kitchenware like pots & pans, countertop appliances, knife blocks, towels and gadgets, etc.

Please do not announce deals from competitors on knives and sharpening stones. We reserve the right to delete posts that violate these rules.
TomCutlery

Re: Kitchenware Deals Sub Forum?

Post by TomCutlery »

Eversor13 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:28 pm Does anyone know how often these seconds sales from All-Clad come around? I just bought a few pans but would be interested in more in the future if it turns out I like them. It would also be super helpful if the forum mentions it next time, it doesn't seem there's a way to get an email with a "seconds sale today!" warning.
If you bought from them and gave them your email, you'll be notified when the next one comes around. They used to be a once a year brick & mortar deal but since they went e-tail its been more and more frequent.
Eversor13

Post by Eversor13 »

jbart65 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:34 pm I finally switched over to all All-Clad a year and a half ago. Got:

6 and 8 qt stockpot
8-inch, 10-inch, 12-inch and 14-inch saute pans
2 qt and 3 qt saucier pans
1.5 qt, 2 qt, 4 qt sauce pans
1.5 windsor sauce pan
4 qt skillet
4 qt weeknight pan

Two pans I didnt expect to use as much as I do are the 14-inch saute pan and "weeknight" pan. The large skillet cooks evenly and helps me avoid doing double batches of chicken that would take twice as long to cook.

The weeknight pan was the biggest revelation. Especially great for pasta dishes. One pan to handle sweating, creating sauces and mixing pasta in at the end. I use a windsor pan a fair amount, too.

The sauciers don't get a lot of time but I got them at great prices. The 6 qt stockpot is ideal for soups.

Looking at all the seconds, nothing else I need. Wouldn't mind a 12 qt stockpot or 3 qt skillet, but I can handle everything with what I already have.
Jbart, your post is quite informative. 1 point or question on it, you mention an 8, 10, 12, and 14 inch saute pan and a 4 qt skillet, do you mean the opposite? All clad gives the size of saute pans in quarts and the size of skillets in inches. It would change your pan recommendations a bit.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I'm surprised, Jeffry, that your sauciers don't get as much attention. I wonder if that will change once the kids are gone. I find those are my most-used pans, but I am usually cooking for 1-2 people. The weeknight pans are essentially oversized sauciers, so it makes sense that once your meals get smaller, you may shift down...haha.

I also use my windsor quite a bit (mine is 2 or 2.5). A real revelation: this is a great popcorn pot!

In contrast to people above, I actually dislike the larger saute pans (my largest is 3qt, which I do find handy). But again, this is probably due to the size of meals I am usually preparing, as well as how I prepare them. I find that, for all-clad (and what it excels at), the indispensible are the 2 and 3 qt sauciers and the 2-4 qt sauce pans. But once I get beyond these pans, I often find myself preferring either dutch ovens (braising, searing, stewing), cast-iron (frying or saute at high heat), or whatever large vessel I have (boiling). Not that I don't also have all-clad in these sizes and use them, too. :). I would just start with the sizes and pots where the stainless+ply really provides a huge advantage.

In terms of deals: Tj-Maxx, Marshalls, Homesense are where the best deals on seconds are that I have seen, and I'm a bit of an obsessive shopper. I've gotten MANY great deals there on copper-core and a few on d5...especially in major cities. Otherwise, Williams-Sonoma has 20% or 25% off all cookware 2 times a year (summer and Christmas), and their regular prices are usually as good or better than "regular" prices anywhere on this stuff specifically (they consistently beat out places like Macy's, for example), so once you add the 20 or 25% off or find when they turn stuff over to their clearance site (plus a bonus 20% off during the same seasons), you can beat just about any other discount site on the web and still get first-quality with a store that will accept any and all returns, exchanges, etc. for free. They also tend to have special low prices on specific or exclusive pots, like the "Weeknight" ones, so when you get the sale season price plus the added discount, you can get a weeknight pan for, say, 99-130 or less.

In virtually every case, I have paid 20% or more LESS than the all-clad seconds sale listed above, which I have viewed a number of times. The only major exception to this is the Chef's pan (copper-core), which seems more heavily discounted during the all-clad sale than most other places I've seen, save for 2-3 other temporary offers on a few sites. The current price on the 4qt copper-core saucepan is also terrific, and this is one of the best pans they make, in my opinion.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

The reason I love the 6 quart saute is for large batch searing and sauteing a mess of greens. I thought my kitchen was outfitted and then I used one of these at a friend's house and had to have one.

Regarding 1st versus 2nd quality: I have purchased from Cookware N More 3-4 times. I'm not sure if I ever noticed a flaw. I think they are pretty well-known to have extreme quality control standards so the stuff that gets sold as seconds is still excellent quality cookware. Based on my experience, I would never consider paying more to buy 1st quality All-Clad goods.
salemj

Post by salemj »

gastro gnome wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:43 am The reason I love the 6 quart saute is for large batch searing and sauteing a mess of greens. I thought my kitchen was outfitted and then I used one of these at a friend's house and had to have one.

Regarding 1st versus 2nd quality: I have purchased from Cookware N More 3-4 times. I'm not sure if I ever noticed a flaw. I think they are pretty well-known to have extreme quality control standards so the stuff that gets sold as seconds is still excellent quality cookware. Based on my experience, I would never consider paying more to buy 1st quality All-Clad goods.
+1. I totally get the use for the greens in particular, just not something I do as often. Also, in terms of 1st vs. 2nd quality: the most I've ever noticed are slightly miscalibrated handle installs and "scuffs" of various forms, none of which has ever affected the performance in short or long term.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Eversor13 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 am Jbart, your post is quite informative. 1 point or question on it, you mention an 8, 10, 12, and 14 inch saute pan and a 4 qt skillet, do you mean the opposite? All clad gives the size of saute pans in quarts and the size of skillets in inches. It would change your pan recommendations a bit.
Guess I mean the opposite. What I called the saute pans are the ones with sloping sides. The skillet I referred to has straight sides.
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

salemj wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:36 am I'm surprised, Jeffry, that your sauciers don't get as much attention. I wonder if that will change once the kids are gone. I find those are my most-used pans, but I am usually cooking for 1-2 people. The weeknight pans are essentially oversized sauciers, so it makes sense that once your meals get smaller, you may shift down...haha.
I typicallly used sauciers for veggies. I suspect I will use them more cooking for just my wife and I. I'd use the 4-qt saute pan for carrots and the like when cooking for four.
Jeffry B