Cookware

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
supersharp

Cookware

Post by supersharp »

While making dinner the other day it occurred to me that my knives are top notch, but my cookware hasn't kept up. Most of it is either department store or wedding gift stuff from years ago. What is some decent cookware for home use?
Eversor13

Re: Cookware

Post by Eversor13 »

There was recently a factory-seconds sale on All Clad cookware. I bought some, and it's great! Here's the thread, you can sign up for their email list so you can be notified when the next sale comes along. That website lets you get most pans roughly 50% off from new, with only slight blemished or scratches, some I couldn't find the imperfection. Apparently all clad pans last dozens of years...

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=2296
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

I am also a fan of All Clad's tri-ply stainless steel with aluminum core. It's not the absolute best or the most expensive, but it is good value for quality and performance especially on sale. You can often find discounted at outlets like TJ Maxx, HomeGoods, or Burlington in the USA.

As an alternative, there are other stainless with aluminum core that I've bought cheaper and were decent. Calphalon is priced cheaper than All Clad, though their stuff is thinner. I've also had good luck with old stock CeraSteel stainless clad with aluminum core also. Both brands found on sale at outlets.

Some people love cast iron and it's easy and cheap to get Lodge pots and pans. If you want cast iron style with less weight, you can try carbon steel pans, but you give up the thermal heat reservoir of thick cast iron.

I don't have any nice non-stick and only have a small rescued fry pan that I use for 2 or 3 scrambled eggs when lazy. Hopefully somebody else will chime in.

Tools and utensils are a case by case basis for me. There are some awesome wooden cooking utensils available from sellers on Etsy. I can't remember the name of the seller, but one guy makes really beautiful wooden spoon/spatula hybrids that I just never pulled the trigger on.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I have a bunch of all clad (wedding gifts), calphalon, and lodge as well as a few carbon steel skillets. I keep a cheap beater nonstick around for those that don’t respect the cookware and know not to touch the good stuff.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I have mostly All Clad also. I tried one of their copper core, looks good but no noticeable difference in cooking. i got a Demeyere Pro-line 9.5" skillet from Cutlery and more which is real nice but kinda heavy. Ck out cutlery and more for some current deals. Demeyere doesn't have rivets inside which is kinda nice.
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/demeyere
I believe all clad and demeyere are the best commonly available. Williams Sonoma usually has sales on all clads a few times a year and if you live near one go in and sign up to get notified as they are usually one day or limited sales.
Carbon steel? I got a crepe pan which is ok and watched America Test Kitchen show where they tested frying pans, Matfer Bourgeat 062005 Black Steel Round Frying Pan, 11 7/8-Inch, Gray won the test, you can watch what they said about it and carbon steel on you-tube but while they can be made non stick unlike an all clad, they are somewhat finicky and not as good heat conductors.
Cast iron? I and i think everyone has at least one, its good for certain things but i don't want to deal with how heavy they are and special care in cleaning them.
Whatever you do, don't fall the the "sets" you see everywhere, they look good and some of the bottoms look heavy, go for a uniform thick walled construction to promote even heat distribution. Sets may have thin walls or thick bottoms which look good, but thin walls will scorch food on gas.
One more thing. In recent years rolled edges became more popular and i enjoy them much more than a french straight edge. Here is a straight/french edge then a rolled edge. I may have the terminology wrong a bit but you can see what I mean.
http://www.all-clad.com/Cookware/Sauce- ... 8701004436
http://www.all-clad.com/Cookware/Sauce- ... 8700800030
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Have a mix of alot. I really like the tri-ply stuff. Love my all clad. Few copper sauce pans and really love my Debuyer steel fry pan.
Dzieke

Post by Dzieke »

I used to use really cheap cookware because I didn't know better. I always wondered why tomato sauces and such burned all the time, even on low heat with constant stirring. Then I bought some quality French copper cookware, Bourgeat to be exact, and have never burned a sauce or stew since. Great stuff and pricey, but if you are vigilant, you can find good deals with copper cookware on sale. It is NOT necessary to use anything higher than medium heat.

If you need to sear something, that is what cast iron and carbon steel are for.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

I have a nice collection of All Clad pots all purchased on sale, they are built like tanks and will probably outlast me.
High heat, definitely cast iron frying pans, no need to spend a lot here, I have a 10” and 12” from Amazon that are close to 10 years old, less than $30 each.
Non-sick frying pans, a few years ago my wife gave me an expensive pan it did not last any longer than the a cheap pan. My usual routine now is go to Walmart I get a 6, 10 & 12 inch pans for around $35 dollars and replace them every 6 months when I can no longer swirl an egg in it.

If I had to do it all over again, I would buy the All Clad pots again they are an investment.
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
mjgillen

Post by mjgillen »

I used to have a full set of Revere Ware copper bottom cookware. The ones I still have are still going strong 30 years later. If you can find it, get it. You won't regret it.