Shapton Glass "starter set" - Which 3 stones would you choose?

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
btbyrd

Shapton Glass "starter set" - Which 3 stones would you choose?

Post by btbyrd »

I'm planning on picking up two or three glass stones to upgrade the factory EP versions. Which grits do you suggest? As of now, I'm thinking about the 500, a 1k or 2k, and then a 4k or 6k. I'm not really into super polishing or anything... just looking to create a sharp edge on hard steel. This will be used with some Super Blue dual bevel Japanese knives, mostly just to set the edge. I'm okay at thinning with stones manually, but my ability to get a consistent edge is spotty. I'm also up for considering alternatives to the Shapton glass, but these seem to get a lot of love for the purpose I'm imagining.
nevrknow

Re: Shapton Glass "starter set" - Which 3 stones would you choose?

Post by nevrknow »

Depends on which final edge you want. Personally the 500 ( double thickness, $$ saver in the long run) then the 1K. Toothy kitchen edge the 2K which is actually a tad finer than a "normal" 2K edge or the 4K.

I would get the 1K screaming sharp and then decide how much refinement you want after that.

IF you are dead set on Shaptons. Personally its the 500 and then naturals. But that's just me.

Money back guarantee on my opinion. :D
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Thanks for the feedback. Are the "pro" Shaptons the naturals? Or are the naturals another thing you'd recommend. I'm very open to alternatives to glass. My only concern is kitchen knives, mostly dual-bevel Japanese knives including some Globals and some high carbon white and blue steel. I just got the 105mm tall white steel petty from CKTG and was able to put a nice edge on it with stones, but longer blades prove to be a challenge. So do my Globals, for some reason. I'm talking freehand, not with the EP.

Also, as a relative newcomer to the EP universe, feel free to throw in your "must have" EP accessories. I've checked the relevant thread, but it never hurts to ask twice!
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Naturals are natural japanese stones. A completely different rabbit hole. You need to check out Jon Broida's sharpening videos. Or Peter Nowlan's. Then there is the ever present Ken Schwartz. A member here and always willing to answer questions. You can even call him on the phone if you need to. This is a completely subjective subject. You can get tons of opinions.And no you do not need the latest and greatest ( read expensive ) options to get killer edges. You should read all you can and form your own opinions on what YOU want. But those 3 guys I mentioned are definitely at the top of this game and recommended by more people than just me. Awesome videos and posts by all. Watch/read them all then make up your mind.

I guess it's Sunday as I'm the only one answering at the moment but more will chime in.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

It's looking like you have quite a wide variety of knives & different steels. Generally speaking harder steels are capable of supporting more acute angles and finer finishes. The finish is a subject regularly debated on this forum and really it comes down to a personal preference or choice. I'm a sucker for a finer finish, but that's just me. Try both on good blades and use them together and try & check out how well the edges last, continue to cut well etc etc and then decide. Depending on all those variables plus what the main use is going to be I can finish anywhere between 2k to 10k.

So here would be my take on getting three Shapton stones.
1) If the knives you intend to sharpen are in a pretty good space already I would go 500, 1k & 2k. If I have it correct you already had the EP 1000 & EP 1200 (Japanese standard equivalent is 3k & 5k respectively) Once the heavy lifting has been done by the Shapton stones those two EP stones work pretty well - I still have & use my EP1200 and it produces a great 5k edge.

2) If your knives are going to require a lot of work or new bevels cut I would probably go 220, 500, 1k then onto the EP1000 & / or EP1200.

I have a good selection of Shapton Glass but haven't tried the Pro versions so I can't comment other than to say I don't think that you could go wrong with either.

HTH
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Well... you did say 3 right? So the 1000 for sure. As a very genral rule of thumb it's a good thing when you can double your grits up the progression. This helps remove scratch marks from the prior stones more rapidly and, again as a general rule, will cut a little faster.

If you have harder knives (60ish hrc or above) and you're not repairing major damage or doing thining then go 1000 2000 4000.

Harder knives but taking out occasional chips and doing some thinning go 500 1000 4000.

Softer knives? 500 1000 2000. You might even be able to get away without the 500.

Harder knives doing hearvy or a lot of repairs? 220 500 then it's your choice of the 1000 or 2000. Tough call here. 2000's going to be tougher to remove the scratch marks from the 500 and I really like a 1000 in general but... i also like a little more polish than a 1000.

So this is just me and I'm sure others have found other progressions that work better for them but these have worked pretty well for me.

---Rob
gladius

Post by gladius »

Greetings and welcome.

Shapton Glass stones are strong cutters so my choice would be the 500/2k/6k (or even an 8k) combo. This gives you flexibility to handle most situations from minor repairs through a very fine polish for the knives that can take it. The 500 will be your most used stone so get the extra thick. The 2k is a good finisher for many knives and for tasks requiring a toothier edge. The 8k is used to produce a fine crisp polished edge.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I don't think there is a double thick stone for the edge pro. I like the 500/2000/8000 shapton glass stones for this application. It is what I used when I still had an edge pro.
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

Thanks for your replies everyone! Based on your feedback, and what CKTG has in stock, I went ahead and ordered a 500, 1k, and 4k. Even if I end up buying a couple more stones down the line, I figure this will be a good introduction (especially with my harder knives).
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

btbyrd wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:15 am Thanks for your replies everyone! Based on your feedback, and what CKTG has in stock, I went ahead and ordered a 500, 1k, and 4k. Even if I end up buying a couple more stones down the line, I figure this will be a good introduction (especially with my harder knives).
That is a good set too. That is the thing, now if you buy more stones later you can get the 2k and 8k and have one hell of a tight progression.
snipes

Post by snipes »

Kit Craft wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:29 pm
btbyrd wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:15 am Thanks for your replies everyone! Based on your feedback, and what CKTG has in stock, I went ahead and ordered a 500, 1k, and 4k. Even if I end up buying a couple more stones down the line, I figure this will be a good introduction (especially with my harder knives).
That is a good set too. That is the thing, now if you buy more stones later you can get the 2k and 8k and have one hell of a tight progression.
This is what I have and feel no need for upgrades. 500-8k doubling each time.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

snipes wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:47 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:29 pm
This is what I have and feel no need for upgrades. 500-8k doubling each time.
I would imagine not.