Konosuke hd2 vs Kohetsu HAP40

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Chefcallari

Konosuke hd2 vs Kohetsu HAP40

Post by Chefcallari »

Hey guys,

So im just opening Pandoras box for fun on this one.
We all know my deep seeded love affair with my Kohetsu HAP40 gyuto.
But i know there is a Jonestown following for the hd2.
Ive seen the stats i.e. spine thickness, hight, grind, weight, and they are very similar....
Aside from the obvious differences ie steel type, f@f, blade profile.... From a performance stand point how different are they?
Ive even seen 2 people on separate reviews say they were very similar so i know its not just me.

Is the Kohetsu hap40 really a konosuke with better edge retention???
Is the konosuke just a zebra with fake wings that was so far ahead of its time everyone thinks its a unicorn????

Anybody directly compared these two knives?

One thing is for sure.....
Some one will be jamming a funnel down my throat and pouring the "kool aid" down it for that konosuke reference.
Kit Craft

Re: Konosuke hd2 vs Kohetsu HAP40

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefcallari wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:41 pm Hey guys,

So im just opening Pandoras box for fun on this one.
We all know my deep seeded love affair with my Kohetsu HAP40 gyuto.
But i know there is a Jonestown following for the hd2.
Ive seen the stats i.e. spine thickness, hight, grind, weight, and they are very similar....
Aside from the obvious differences ie steel type, f@f, blade profile.... From a performance stand point how different are they?
Ive even seen 2 people on separate reviews say they were very similar so i know its not just me.

Is the Kohetsu hap40 really a konosuke with better edge retention???
Is the konosuke just a zebra with fake wings that was so far ahead of its time everyone thinks its a unicorn????

Anybody directly compared these two knives?

One thing is for sure.....
Some one will be jamming a funnel down my throat and pouring the "kool aid" down it for that konosuke reference.
I have no used either knife. :mrgreen: I am familiar with the Kono laser offerings in general and think that most of that should transfer to the HD. Kono lasers, at least in 210(203) are semi rigid knives that are thin all the way through, including at the spine, cross section, behind the edge, at the edge and at the tip. They have a narrow/short more French like profile. I like this in 210 because it doubles as a slicer. I can not speak for a 240 other than to say that they should run about 230-235mm in length. Anyway, these knives are also feather light. The SS and W#2 lasers have average edge retention. I have no idea about the HD2 but the Hap40 should have significantly better retention than all of them, at least on paper. Fit and finish on the Konos are top notch. My Kohetsu knives have been closer to average.

Speaking of the grind, and I was just having a conversation about this, the kono (among other similar lasers) has surprisingly good food release. That is not to say that things do not stick, most things do, however they come off with ease. A heavy potato will dislodge itself and you can shake off most other things with the flick of your wrist. If that does not work, a tap on the board. You can see the subtle convex on the front face. I find this in stark contrast to things like a Fujiwara FKM which are potato magnets. Of course, proper technique helps and I learned that the hard way. Or should I say it took time.

Moving on, the grind lends itself well to a number of tasks, for me. These lasers in general seem to go through dense product well and I can not even tell that soft product exists when I am going through it.

Now, and I have been beat up for this before, but I will say that there is no need to go with a kono laser to get the laser experience. With the exception of the HD2 as I know of no other laser with semi stainless steel. But in White and Swedish stainless there are loads of options, cheaper and just as good, imo. Just wanting to own a Kono is enough reason, that is why I bought my two.

As for the Kohetsu, I got to use the B#2 and AS for a short period. These are more like thin little workhorses from what I remember but still go through food amazingly well. I don't own either of those knives and it has been awhile. I own the B#2 nashiji but that is a totally different beast and I have my feelings of what brand it might be but I digress.

All of that aside, from what you have said (numerous times in the past) I think that the kohetsu was made for you. ;)
salemj

Post by salemj »

My sense is that the only potential shortcoming of the Hap40 is the steel (a matter of taste—I've never used it and virtually everything I've read has been positive, but you never know), so as long as you love that, I can see no reason why you'd try to replace it with something similar. I've never seen/used the Hap40, but based on things I've read, it is very similar to a Konosuke laser in that it is very thin with a traditional profile that is not too tall at the heel while still featuring better release than more flat-ground blades. In this case, I see no reason to question a match made in heaven.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

salemj wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:49 pm My sense is that the only potential shortcoming of the Hap40 is the steel (a matter of taste—I've never used it and virtually everything I've read has been positive, but you never know), so as long as you love that, I can see no reason why you'd try to replace it with something similar. I've never seen/used the Hap40, but based on things I've read, it is very similar to a Konosuke laser in that it is very thin with a traditional profile that is not too tall at the heel while still featuring better release than more flat-ground blades. In this case, I see no reason to question a match made in heaven.
Guys , guys, guys..... You dont actually think.... I ... Would.... Replace my beloved Kohetsu???!!!

TAKE MY EYES JUST NOT MY KNIFE!

Lol i have no intention of buying a konosuke... I just remember comparing the 2 before i got my HAP40 because they were almost identical

Spine thickness: 2.4mm
Weight: 4.8 oz
Very similar choil shot

I kinda feel the Kohetsu is a little underrated. I know alot of guys try to get there hands on a kono and cant. Maybe the Kohetsus are a good alternative?
I know guys like you and kit have a ton of experience with all different kinds of knives so i wanna see if anybody compared the two.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Wonder if Mr steve g could chime in on this one?
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefcallari wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:34 pm
salemj wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:49 pm My sense is that the only potential shortcoming of the Hap40 is the steel (a matter of taste—I've never used it and virtually everything I've read has been positive, but you never know), so as long as you love that, I can see no reason why you'd try to replace it with something similar. I've never seen/used the Hap40, but based on things I've read, it is very similar to a Konosuke laser in that it is very thin with a traditional profile that is not too tall at the heel while still featuring better release than more flat-ground blades. In this case, I see no reason to question a match made in heaven.
Guys , guys, guys..... You dont actually think.... I ... Would.... Replace my beloved Kohetsu???!!!

Lol i have no intention of buying a konosuke... I just remember comparing the 2 before i got my HAP40 because they were almost identical

Very similar choil shot

I kinda feel the Kohetsu is a little underrated. I know alot of guys try to get there hands on a kono and cant. Maybe the Kohetsus are a good alternative?
I know guys like you and kit have a ton of experience with all different kinds of knives so i wanna see if anybody compared the two.
I wound't say that I have experience with tons of knives, I don't. I do however have a weird obsession for value knives like the Kohetsu offerings as well as Fujiwara, Tojiro, Harukaze and Minamoto(often overlooked). I like the Kanehide offers, a lot as well. I have not tried the Hap40, though. The steel is beyond my needs by a ton. :lol:
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:22 pm
Chefcallari wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Very similar choil shot

I wound't say that I have experience with tons of knives, I don't. I do however have a weird obsession for value knives like the Kohetsu offerings as well as Fujiwara, Tojiro, Harukaze and Minamoto(often overlooked). I like the Kanehide offers, a lot as well. I have not tried the Hap40, though. The steel is beyond my needs by a ton. :lol:
Yes sir ... You are a white steel lover if i remember correctly. A man able to take steel to great levels of refinement on a plethora of natural stones!
I think its pretty cool we both share this love of knives, and sharpening... But have almost opposite interests in edge life.
By the way ... I recently traded jdavid a suji for a couple stones(he was beyond nice to do this trade with me)... One of them was a Baulken natural stone. Now while im sure its light years behind some of the jnats you and others have... I have to say i see what all the hype is about!
I can get many different edges off this stone depending on how which mud/water/diamond plate/nagura combo i Go with. These natrual stones are so dynamic!
And the edges... Especially on simple carbon knives i.e Suisin high carbon, fujiwara FKH... Are amazing! Even my blue#2 @ 62 hrc takes a crazy edge! Refined but with alot of bite.... And holy shit they really do last longer!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefcallari wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Yes sir ... You are a white steel lover if i remember correctly. A man able to take steel to great levels of refinement on a plethora of natural stones!
I think its pretty cool we both share this love of knives, and sharpening... But have almost opposite interests in edge life.
By the way ... I recently traded jdavid a suji for a couple stones(he was beyond nice to do this trade with me)... One of them was a Baulken natural stone. Now while im sure its light years behind some of the jnats you and others have... I have to say i see what all the hype is about!
I can get many different edges off this stone depending on how which mud/water/diamond plate/nagura combo i Go with. These natrual stones are so dynamic!
And the edges... Especially on simple carbon knives i.e Suisin high carbon, fujiwara FKH... Are amazing! Even my blue#2 @ 62 hrc takes a crazy edge! Refined but with alot of bite.... And holy shit they really do last longer!

That sounds like an interesting stone. I think I am about at the point where I am going to start trying stones from other parts of the world too. I have a few more major J-nats on my list and some more easy to find ones but the list is narrowing. Well, I am sure I will find things here and there but I don't have a huge list of 50 stones that I want to buy anymore.

Not to change the subject but how do you like the Suisin in comparison to the Fujiwara?
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:58 pm

That sounds like an interesting stone. I think I am about at the point where I am going to start trying stones from other parts of the world too. I have a few more major J-nats on my list and some more easy to find ones but the list is narrowing. Well, I am sure I will find things here and there but I don't have a huge list of 50 stones that I want to buy anymore.

Not to change the subject but how do you like the Suisin in comparison to the Fujiwara?
It's a really cool stone... If i use a DMT plate and work up a mud it gives about a 1.5k edge and finish. I have a "aoto" nagura he gave me... Work up a mud with that thing... 3k edge and finish. Use it with just water and no mud... 5k edge and finish.
As far as the fujiwara and Suisin comparison... That is a good one.
Now keep in mind that my fujiwara FKH is a 270 suji and my Suisin high carbon is a 210 yo deba. So they have very different measurements and intended purposes...

Now looking at both lines one would think they should be pretty similar in F@F.... Both have bolsters, pakka wood handle, mono steel blade.. And that is true.
And similiar in performance... Both are mono steel "generic" carbon steel ... That is also true.
Ease of maintenance... Identical.. Once you get(or force) a patina... Its basically a stainless steel knife.
Here's where they start to separate..

I believe fujiwara uses SK4 steel? Suisin uses a proprietary steel that i figured was SK4, SK3 or something along those lines. I think i am wrong..

I really like my fujiwara, the steel gets stupid sharp.. Stupid easy. Edge retention is ok. But thats what i expect. I can notice the tip get dull after i cut and portion 2 whole NY strip because it drags against my board.
The Suisin also gets stupid sharp stupid easy... But the edge retention is really really good!
I have no idea what they do to it but damn! I will break 12 whole salmons and 40 Bronzino before i even think about touching it up!
And let me state the obvious... I am not easy on this knife Lol. Cutting through spines to take heads off, cutting through pin bones, chopping the spines into pieces so they will fit into a stock pot.
I know they dont carry them here but it seems like a very good line for the money.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefcallari wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:55 am
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:58 pm

It's a really cool stone... If i use a DMT plate and work up a mud it gives about a 1.5k edge and finish. I have a "aoto" nagura he gave me... Work up a mud with that thing... 3k edge and finish. Use it with just water and no mud... 5k edge and finish.
As far as the fujiwara and Suisin comparison... That is a good one.
Now keep in mind that my fujiwara FKH is a 270 suji and my Suisin high carbon is a 210 yo deba. So they have very different measurements and intended purposes...

Now looking at both lines one would think they should be pretty similar in F@F.... Both have bolsters, pakka wood handle, mono steel blade.. And that is true.
And similiar in performance... Both are mono steel "generic" carbon steel ... That is also true.
Ease of maintenance... Identical.. Once you get(or force) a patina... Its basically a stainless steel knife.
Here's where they start to separate..

I believe fujiwara uses SK4 steel? Suisin uses a proprietary steel that i figured was SK4, SK3 or something along those lines. I think i am wrong..

I really like my fujiwara, the steel gets stupid sharp.. Stupid easy. Edge retention is ok. But thats what i expect. I can notice the tip get dull after i cut and portion 2 whole NY strip because it drags against my board.
The Suisin also gets stupid sharp stupid easy... But the edge retention is really really good!
I have no idea what they do to it but damn! I will break 12 whole salmons and 40 Bronzino before i even think about touching it up!
And let me state the obvious... I am not easy on this knife Lol. Cutting through spines to take heads off, cutting through pin bones, chopping the spines into pieces so they will fit into a stock pot.
I know they dont carry them here but it seems like a very good line for the money.
That stone sounds pretty similar to a Coti.

Yes, the Fuji is sk4 and I think you hit the nail on the head in every way! One of those little cardboard boxes full of mushrooms and my tip is fairly dull if I tip chop, however, it is very easy to bring back. The Fuji is a fair bit thicker behind the edge than my Misono but it is cheaper too. I prefer the profile on the Fuji, though, very pointy! I am a petty kind of guy.

Now the Suisin, I have in Stainless and it is fairly comparable to the FKM but with a little bit different of a profile. However, the FKM and FKH are very different knives. I have not bought the Suisin carbon because I figure it is the same. Misono follows that same patter as does Masamoto so I figure they all do. It is odd. I think I'll give one a try though. They will be on sale, 15% around the holidays. :mrgreen: That puts it at the same price as a Fuji.

Thinking about picking up a Kohetsu B#2 as well. I got to use my brothers for about a week and it is a hell of a knife to throw in my travel bag. He has horrid knife skills, sorry Frank, and beats the hell out of it and it just asks for more. Yet it goes through product so damn well.

Hah, I think we turned your comparison thread into something else...sorry about that.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Going back to the OP a bit, I recently picked up a Suisin Inox laser. Boy is it special. I'm a bit shocked at how different it feels and acts compared to the HD. If someone wanted a variety box of lasers, I feel like the Suisin must be on the list. It has such a different feel and a seemingly different profile and grind...yet it performs quite similarly to other lasers. It is odd because it seems completely unremarkable and is silly expensive, but when you use it, you realize all that money went into someone actually caring about getting every fraction of performance from a "stamped" knife, whereas with many others, you feel like they have a great mold but stopped caring once they hit the price ceiling for that kind of blade. Is it worth the current price? Probably not. But is it a pretty magical laser? You bet!
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

salemj wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:01 am Going back to the OP a bit, I recently picked up a Suisin Inox laser. Boy is it special. I'm a bit shocked at how different it feels and acts compared to the HD. If someone wanted a variety box of lasers, I feel like the Suisin must be on the list. It has such a different feel and a seemingly different profile and grind...yet it performs quite similarly to other lasers. It is odd because it seems completely unremarkable and is silly expensive, but when you use it, you realize all that money went into someone actually caring about getting every fraction of performance from a "stamped" knife, whereas with many others, you feel like they have a great mold but stopped caring once they hit the price ceiling for that kind of blade. Is it worth the current price? Probably not. But is it a pretty magical laser? You bet!
I have not tried the Inox Honyaki, it is cost prohibitive. I'd have to sell two lasers to buy one, an exaggeration but not by a lot. However, I hear that they have a much higher asymmetry in both grind and edge than other lasers. But on such a thin knife I have no idea how that translates to actual performance. Your experience seems similar to what others have said about it being special. I can be superficial, though, and that painted on Kanji and machi gap drive me nuts.

Thing about these lasers is that they all have marginal edge retention and I can not see that as something that Callari would like. As he said, we have very different taste when it comes to edge retention. I want 'em to dull out so I can sharpen them and he wants it to hold an edge forever. :lol: I suppose it is different for a $70 beater or a $300+ dollar user.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Yes indeed. My PERSONAL impression is that Mark's specialty is the opposite of knives like the Suisin Inox: his strengths are in affordable pro markets and the mid-range "bling" market focused as much on unique looks and various hand-made features, as well as a big nod to American/Western cutting techniques and demands, as on steels and performance. The Suisin is the opposite of this: it is stupid expensive, extremely plain, has an unremarkable steel on paper (although a terrific steel in practice) and is 100% about traditional performance characteristics related to Japanese technique. I think there are other markets for these knives, but I get why Mark essentially doesn't invest much in them anymore (of course he did at one time).

This is part of what I refer to in the other tread: Mark has sold me some fantastic knives. It is remarkable that many of them are no longer available. It is clear that the way this industry works (and the way Mark invests in it), tried and true performance knives don't always survive. I will soon own a Nubatama, which is another knife Mark sold for a while but does not sell any longer. I've used one before and it is probably the best performing all-around knife I've ever used. He still sells Fujiyamas, but we all know the story there. Then there's my Suisin, my Western handled Kono, my Funayuki Konos, et al. Most of these have nothing to do with Mark, but rather how things work in Japan. It contributes to certain knives like the HD and the KS developing outsided reputation and prices because they are easier to manufacture with consistency but still require enough hand-made involvement that they are produced slowly, while other fantastically performing knives go even higher or get even harder to get as people retire (Kono Fujis and Honyakis, for example) because they are far more indebted to a particular smith. It makes sense to avoid this game and instead focus on new and different offerings that have an almost seasonal nature. I'm sure the Hap40 will become one of these in another year or two...and everyone will lament its disappearance!
~Joe

Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

My 2cents as a pro , I just got an HD2 about 2 weeks ago . Been using as a daily driver to test it out . Also, of the 2 I’ve only used the hd.

Let me state that I use a sanitek rubber board , which probably makes a huge difference over poly boards .

That said , the hd 2 is awesome! I do not think it’s a fake zebra . It is my 2nd laser (3rd if you count the ikeda, which my example is a ghost through product) .My HD2 is around 49mm at the heel so maybe a littler taller than others I’ve seen?
It is a fantastic chopper despite its not very flat profile. The tip is svelte and pointed like a Sab. Horizontal cuts on onion are silent . The upgraded Khii handle is excellent , so slim and adding just a touch of weight to such a light blade, which I think is needed.

The steel- well here’s the main draw right? The legendary HD steel. The steel I lusted after when I arrived on the scene . It sure is semi stainless - watch it , it will take a patina quickly if neglected. On the stones it feels like shirogami to me . It sharpens fast and it holds extreme angles . And it holds them quite well. Mines at about 10 degrees and still cuts effortlessly after 5 gallon mirepoix.

Another thing I like , monosteel . You guys talk about ping testing .. this thing rings harmoniously when ping tested . It’s glorious . It feels stiff and confident for a laser.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

So..... Has anybody used both these knives? Lol
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefcallari wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:20 pm So..... Has anybody used both these knives? Lol
I am sure that someone has but none that seem to be chiming in.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

And the world may never know........
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Chefcallari wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:19 pm And the world may never know........
Guess you are going to have to be the one to buy both and compare. :lol:
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

Oh no!....
Take my eyes but dont make me buy... Another.... Knife :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

There are people who've used both knives. They just haven't chimed in. I owned an HD2 and a Kohetsu HAP40 petty, but other than the steel, really can't compare one to the other.
Jeffry B