Chosera vs Shapton Glass

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
MountainMan23

Chosera vs Shapton Glass

Post by MountainMan23 »

Hey all!
I'll most likely be purchasing an Edge Pro kit from Mark. I just have one question, should I get the essential set (shapton glass 500, 1k, 5k), or the Chosera set (CKTG 120 diamond, Chosera 400, 1k, 5k)? I'll be buying a 6" DMT (Coarse/Fine) for sharpening and lapping, along with the kit.
Thanks!
Kit Craft

Re: Chosera vs Shapton Glass

Post by Kit Craft »

Both the glass stones and chosera stones are good. I prefer glass for your application and it seems to be the golden standard. They are hard, stay flat a long time, precise and leave a good level of polish.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

The Essential kit has enough gaps in its progression that you could fill in with other stones to experiment / experience the way different stones perform as your needs or wants or finances dictate. This is a starting kit that will cover off most "getting it done effectively over a wide range of steels" requirements
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

FWIW, I posted a similar question just this week. I decided to get the EP Esential (with SG) after speaking to Mark and getting advice from Snipes and Kit (thanks again!). I should be getting it on Monday.
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

Radar53 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:46 pm The Essential kit has enough gaps in its progression that you could fill in with other stones to experiment / experience the way different stones perform as your needs or wants or finances dictate. This is a starting kit that will cover off most "getting it done effectively over a wide range of steels" requirements
"getting it done effectively over a wide range of steels" - Thanks Rader53 for the reassurance that I made the right decision since I have a wide variety of steels from SG2, Ginsanko to W#2 ,AS.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi Andreu. No problems at all. With all the choice it's a bit easy to get overwhelmed. One of the benefits of this forum and CKTG is that you generally can't go wrong. There's almost never a bad choice here, it's just that as your experience grows, you get to groove into what just suits you a little better.

Have fun & enjoy
Cheers Grant

Andreu

Post by Andreu »

Radar53 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:55 pm Hi Andreu. No problems at all. With all the choice it's a bit easy to get overwhelmed. One of the benefits of this forum and CKTG is that you generally can't go wrong. There's almost never a bad choice here, it's just that as your experience grows, you get to groove into what just suits you a little better.

Have fun & enjoy
I agree about the benefits of this forum. People are so friendly here and you guys are so quick to give sound advices. Though some may tend to disagree on things or not see one's way of doing things, I just try to gather all the advices and pick and choose the best part that would suit my preference.
Last edited by Andreu on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Yep - I think a lot of us work that way. After a while you also get to know the members who tend to like the same sorts of things you do and you can feed that into the equation as well. For me, I still like to experiment a bit, just to develop my own insights into the differences, what I like & don't like so much etc, because it just develops my experiences. For me there's still so much to learn & so little time to learn it all!!!
Cheers Grant

Andreu

Post by Andreu »

"there's still so much to learn & so little time to learn it all" - I couldn't have said it any better, Grant. A big amen to that!
sharpp

Post by sharpp »

can these stones be leveled like the edgepro stones?
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Yes they can. 140 diamond plate does it easily, but you could use something less aggressive.