Useful Edge Pro Accessories

CKTG has a large amount of Edge Pro products so we've dedicated a forum to questions on Edge Pro sharpening systems, accessories and techniques.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

IMO, one of the most indispensable Edge Pro accessories is the iGaging Angle Cube. You can use this tool to accurately measure and document the relative angle between the stone holder arm and the blade table for a particular knife and reference stone combination.

snipes

Re: Useful Edge Pro Accessories

Post by snipes »

I see the case has changed some over the years, but this is still in my mind the top must have accessory. One can get by without many of the other items, but this one is most definitely a must-have.
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

SteveG wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:58 am IMO, one of the most indispensable Edge Pro accessories is the iGaging Angle Cube. You can use this tool to accurately measure and document the relative angle between the stone holder arm and the blade table for a particular knife and reference stone combination.

As a knifemaker my angle cube is one of my most prized tools next to my 3hp grinder. I have an unhealthy attachment to my angle cube me thinks....
btbyrd

Post by btbyrd »

I just picked up the spring and the gasket thing for the EP. I don't know how useful the latter will be, but the spring looks like a welcome addition. In any event, these items are so cheap I can't imagine not getting them.
Bentjudges

Post by Bentjudges »

Many thanks for that info, was really useful.
Andreu

Post by Andreu »

I ordered this along with the EP Essential. Thanks Steve for the post. It helped me decide to buy it.
S Clark

Post by S Clark »

btbyrd wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:30 am I just picked up the spring and the gasket thing for the EP. I don't know how useful the latter will be, but the spring looks like a welcome addition. In any event, these items are so cheap I can't imagine not getting them.
The spring is handy, but not essential. If by "the gasket thing" you mean the metal collar that is used to keep angles consistent, that is almost essential to getting the most out of your EP.
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

This new bench mount is invaluable and solved my biggest problem with the EP which was keeping it secure.
TotinChip

Post by TotinChip »

A new favorite accessory is a small 3/32" ball-end hex screwdriver to tighten the tiny bolt on the drill stop collar. It cost twice as much as the collar, but no more fiddling with the little allen wrench. My old favorite accessory is definitely the angle cube.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

TotinChip wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:35 pm A new favorite accessory is a small 3/32" ball-end hex screwdriver to tighten the tiny bolt on the drill stop collar. It cost twice as much as the collar, but no more fiddling with the little allen wrench. My old favorite accessory is definitely the angle cube.
Please show me with a link. I’ll see if I can pick them up.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
gladius

Post by gladius »

Wiha 26423 3/32" x 50mm Precision Ball End Hex Screwdriver

https://www.wihatools.com/hex-tools/pre ... rewdrivers
Willi Hahn Corporation
Monticello, MN
Customer Service Email: cservice@wihatools.com
Tel: 763-295-6591
TotinChip

Post by TotinChip »

Mine is by Bondhus, made in the US. I have had very good luck with both Wiha and Bondhus hex drivers. Given the orientation of the stop collar bolt, the rotating red cap on the Wiha may not be as useful as it is in other applications. At 5.2 inches overall, the Bondhus is slightly shorter than the Wiha but with a thicker handle. The part number is 10605 or 40605, depending on packaging.
snipes

Post by snipes »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:13 pm
TotinChip wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:35 pm A new favorite accessory is a small 3/32" ball-end hex screwdriver to tighten the tiny bolt on the drill stop collar. It cost twice as much as the collar, but no more fiddling with the little allen wrench. My old favorite accessory is definitely the angle cube.
Please show me with a link. I’ll see if I can pick them up.
Now that would be a very useful accessory. I may even put my stop collar back on if I had one of those.
Otaku19

Post by Otaku19 »

This mod is a little quicker snipes ;-) https://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/a-c ... a7c#p67948
BillyJack

Post by BillyJack »

My favorite accessory would be the Angle Cube. I use to use the drill stop collar all time and thought it was essential. I am sharpening so many knives and scissors now that I keep stripping the hex screw. Its becoming a pain in the butt. I have to keep buying knew collars. Its to the point now I do not use the drill stop collar anymore, it's not really needed. The only time I have an issue with the angle changing is if the is REALLY worn down. Like to the point of having of having to replace the stone. And now that Edge Pro Inc is releasing their new stones in different grits, like their new 2300 & 4000 grit polishing stones, the collar is not going to be needed at all. These stones show hardly any wear at all!
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi There BillyJack. In terms of setting & repeating angles I use my iPhone rather than my angle cube to get the angle close to what I had used previously or where I want it for a new grind or bevel. My old iPhone 5s has long narrow & not-rounded sides, which I find logistically easier to use than the more compact cube of my angle cube.

Like you I have moved on from the ds collar and also the washer method of maintaining a given angle between different thickness stones. It's just my OCD nature coming out, but for a second, third etc stone I do the set-up all over again and then use the Sharpie trick to fine tune it till it's dead right (it doesn't take long). Also with using the <Sharpknives> rod mods plus the acute angles that JK's need the ds collar actually doesn't have the room available to be practical.

Just a couple of questions, (i) have you tried any of the third party stones and (ii) do you have a means of flattening your stones?
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
BillyJack

Post by BillyJack »

Hello Radar. I do use the sharpie every now and then, but every time I do the stone is dead on. I have not tried any of the third party stones yet. I was getting ready to purchase some Shapton Glass stones, but CKTG was out of stock. But now that I have been using EP's new polishing stones, I am VERY impressed with them! And now that EP is coming out with a 300 grit, 650 grit, and a 1,100 grit stones (same material as the 2300 and 4000 grit stones), I do not see the need to buy the shapton stones. And in reality, the stock EP stone's work very well! I get crazy sharp edges. They just wear kind of fast. The new stones are not on their website yet, but they will be soon. I was fortunate to get some from EP, they shipped the stones out yesterday. They will be here by Monday June 11th. As far as flattening the stones I use the stone leveling kit from EP (silicone carbide on a glass plate). I start with the lower grit and work my way up. The carbide can be used a few times before replacing it. It works well! I am debating about getting a 140 grit atoma and a 400 grit atoma plate for flattening the stones, so that its not as messy.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there BillyJack. I persevered with the standard EP stones for many years too long before trying some third party options and I wish I'd changed much much earlier. What I found was that the third party lower-grit stones were night & day better, but once the heavy lifting was done, the higher grit EP stones perfomed really well & I still have the EP1200 (approx 5k JIS) in my collection.

Don't get me wrong, you can still get amazingly sharp edges from the standard EP stones, it's just that, in comparison, it's really hard work. If you get the chance, beg borrow or steal a Shapton Glass 500, Shapton Pro 500 or Nanina or Chosera equivalent and just try it out in comparison to the same grit size EP stone (EP320 I think), especially on harder steels. Even more pronounced would be the Nubatama150 vs the EP220, but that might be harder to organise.

I flatten my freehand & EP stones on Atoma140 & 400 diamond stones, but others on the forum say they are getting really good value out the CKtG diamond equivalents for a lot less $$$$$, so that might be well worth looking at.

Just some food for thought & YMMV, but in another post today I wrote... Just as an aside, I've been sharpening things forever & knives intensively for the last 2+ decades and I pretty much always use the Sharpie method and a Loupé. I have always applied the Sharpie the same as Takeda does rather than the full black line - it just seems to give me more information. I find these two things just tell me so much about what is happening at the edge I am trying to sharpen.

Happy sharpening whatever you decide ....
Cheers Grant

BillyJack

Post by BillyJack »

Radar-

Thanks for the info. I’m going to look into a lower grit option for setting the bevel. I got the new Diamond Matrix Stones in from EP. The only thing I can say is WOW! They are awesome! How are the 220 and 320 Shapton glass stones for thinning and reprofiling?
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

OK Billy a couple of things to remember here. Diamonds leave deeper scratches in the bevel, so if the looks of that are important to you, then the general recommendation is to follow the diamond stone with a synthetic stone of roughly the same grit size. Eg, if you use say an Atoma 140 to do some heavy lifting, you might want to follow that with something like a Nubatama 150 or similar, & then progress with normal stones from there.

I have the SG220, but not the 320 as I jump straight to the SG500. I like tight progressions & generally go double in grit size. So again for example, if I start with say a 220, I follow that with a 500, then 1k, 2k & continue doubling until I reach the final grit I decided to finish on. But like pretty much everything with knives, nothing is fixed. A large number of sharpeners here make quite large jumps to get a differently performing edge.

Also, there are different thoughts on what grit to finish with. For soft euro stainless knives the general consensus seems to be that going past 2k doesn't provide any real benefit whereas harder JK's can support both a more acute edge as well as a more refined edge. Some get really keen & go to 30k or above.

Half the fun of all this is just experimenting with different approaches and seeing how that works for you and then trying something different - or not as you please. Enjoy
Cheers Grant