So...I want another 240 Gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Kit Craft

Re: So...I want another 240 Gyuto

Post by Kit Craft »

gladius wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:20 pm New day, new direction. :)
Hah, I am very indecisive. I just saw the knife and liked it. As I said before, I really don't know what I want. :lol:
salemj

Post by salemj »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:52 pm Thoughts on maybe going with the Yahiko KU? I like the blade shape. It may not be exactly what I asked for but it seems to be very proportional.
This would be the 210, then? Makes sense to me. I think my strongest "push" in terms of a recommendation at this point (I might as well be transparent) is that you buy something that has a shinogi line, or something roughly suggesting one. The Yahiko KU does seem to have a fairly "real" grind/line up to the KU finish, which is great. Plenty to play with there!

One thing I'd warn about based on the video: the way you describe your technique, I would look harder for something that has less distal taper and more weight toward the tip; however, this knife seems like it is usually thick enough that it may not be an issue, especially given the balance point. The point is that you will probably feel less "heavy handed" at times if you have a knife with a little more weight toward the tip; and contrary-wise, I'd bet you'd feel even less secure with a knife that has a lot of weight centered at the heel or in the heel area. I'd guess it is a toss-up with the Yohiko (Steve should chime in): while the balance point is forward, the weight is quite low and the tip is thin, so I can imagine that the tip still feel a bit "floaty" compared to some others.

I wish I could ship you my T-F, although it is closer to 210. I think you'd love a T-F, but size would be a major issue because they don't really fit your preferences. You could probably find one if you looked hard enough, though, as many are oversized and some are occasionally short. Have you used one before? I don't remember...
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

salemj wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:45 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:52 pm Thoughts on maybe going with the Yahiko KU? I like the blade shape. It may not be exactly what I asked for but it seems to be very proportional.
This would be the 210, then? Makes sense to me. I think my strongest "push" in terms of a recommendation at this point (I might as well be transparent) is that you buy something that has a shinogi line, or something roughly suggesting one. The Yahiko KU does seem to have a fairly "real" grind/line up to the KU finish, which is great. Plenty to play with there!

One thing I'd warn about based on the video: the way you describe your technique, I would look harder for something that has less distal taper and more weight toward the tip; however, this knife seems like it is usually thick enough that it may not be an issue, especially given the balance point. The point is that you will probably feel less "heavy handed" at times if you have a knife with a little more weight toward the tip; and contrary-wise, I'd bet you'd feel even less secure with a knife that has a lot of weight centered at the heel or in the heel area. I'd guess it is a toss-up with the Yohiko (Steve should chime in): while the balance point is forward, the weight is quite low and the tip is thin, so I can imagine that the tip still feel a bit "floaty" compared to some others.

I wish I could ship you my T-F, although it is closer to 210. I think you'd love a T-F, but size would be a major issue because they don't really fit your preferences. You could probably find one if you looked hard enough, though, as many are oversized and some are occasionally short. Have you used one before? I don't remember...
Yes, in this case it is the 210. I have a few wide bevel oversize 210s now that I like well enough...one of my favorite is my Tanaka KU. Love that knife a lot.

Thank you for the advice, it makes a lot of sense to me.

I have not tried a T-F. I was just having a conversation with a friend about piking one up. I have a friend who has a few but he lives over the pond. I was thinking about a Yo Nashiji... :o I know, people advise against that combo but the price...I think I'd be willing to play that lottery. I mean, the only issue would be a hole in the edge. Anything else really, is no big deal to me.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The Yahiko KU has a very similar profile to my Yahiko Nashiji. Flat toward the back, a bit of curve up front. It's a bit heavier and not as thin at the tip, based on CKTG descriptions. I do find the Yahiko a nimble and high level performer that feels very comfortable in the hand. My Nashiji almost strikes me as "laid back."
Jeffry B
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:57 am The Yahiko KU has a very similar profile to my Yahiko Nashiji. Flat toward the back, a bit of curve up front. It's a bit heavier and not as thin at the tip, based on CKTG descriptions. I do find the Yahiko a nimble and high level performer that feels very comfortable in the hand. My Nashiji almost strikes me as "laid back."
Thank you, that helps a lot and I have been interested in Yahiko knives since you started reviewing them!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Btw...how have I never noticed the Kikuich Elite carbon? Looks to have a good point profile, very much like my misono. It is mono carbon too. Also it looks to be much thinner behind the edge than the dragon or the fkh. It seems to be thin and have good distal tapper but not be quite a laser. Does all of that sound about right? I've never seen one in person and there is only one decent video.

Yesh, it is an SK steel which people say is not pure but I've never had an issue with such steel and on paper SK-4 does not look that different from white including impurities. SK-5 has a little less carbon, though.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Separately from the topic at hand: Uhh....don't wait for the short Shibata. If you are going to do R2, try this: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/masg2gy21.html

Again, this is not a 240 rec, but just had to share!
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

salemj wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:30 pm Separately from the topic at hand: Uhh....don't wait for the short Shibata. If you are going to do R2, try this: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/masg2gy21.html

Again, this is not a 240 rec, but just had to share!
Cool! I recall Mark talking about these. I don't recall it being mentioned that it was going to be R2, though. No cash, haven't got a choice but to wait. Just getting ideas.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Kit, I have the T-F in 240 with the Nashiji finish and it's a great cutter that plows through every thing and I also have the Kono HD2 in 240 which does not feel flimsy at all. I have become used to my 210's one a Kato and the other a Kono Fuji B#2 and switch between them every day but for larger items the next in line is my HD2 unless it's a very heavy duty cut then it's my T-F.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

jacko9 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:51 pm Kit, I have the T-F in 240 with the Nashiji finish and it's a great cutter that plows through every thing and I also have the Kono HD2 in 240 which does not feel flimsy at all. I have become used to my 210's one a Kato and the other a Kono Fuji B#2 and switch between them every day but for larger items the next in line is my HD2 unless it's a very heavy duty cut then it's my T-F.
Thank you. I have had the TF on my list for awhile, I just get nervous when I try to pull the trigger. The HD2 sounds like a good knife I just think I am over lasers, I have had many of them and they are nice but I don't want any more of them. I really like knives that split the difference between light weight workhorse and laser. I have a few leads on this too.

I dusted off the Yuki today, which is nowhere near as thin as peopled made it out to be when I bought it, and was very happy to put it to the stones. It is thin, has a thin tip too, but is stiff and confident. Sadly, my example has very hard shoulders which I understand is not the norm but it is still a performer. I think the realitiy is that I just want something different from what I have. I didn't want to admit it but I am a knife collector at heart, I guess. I've upped some blades on my list.

T-F Nashiji 195
Yahiko KU 210
Kohetsu B#2 210 (I tried one a friend has and loved the simple utility aspect of this knife and I think it will be my new travel knife.)
Kikuichi EC 240

Now, the list has many more knives on it but these ones are newer additions. :lol: I think I have a problem.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

So, revisiting this because the KS clones all seem to be trickling into stock. Reading Stevens review of the Doi made me sad...Thoughts on the Moritaka clone?
salemj

Post by salemj »

Shouldn't you just wait until Christmas now?? Haha.
~J

Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

salemj wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:12 pm Shouldn't you just wait until Christmas now?? Haha.
But I know I didn't get that one. :lol:
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I finally pulled the trigger on a 240, well, it is a Christmas gift from my wife so I can't play with it when it gets here. However, she said to get the one I wanted rather than giving her a list of three or four that I might want...but what did I decide on?

Konosuke HD2 240 with Khii Ebony. That is one I can scratch off of the must have list and it was one near the top.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Kit Craft wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:35 pm I finally pulled the trigger on a 240, well, it is a Christmas gift from my wife so I can't play with it when it gets here. However, she said to get the one I wanted rather than giving her a list of three or four that I might want...but what did I decide on?

Konosuke HD2 240 with Khii Ebony. That is one I can scratch off of the must have list and it was one near the top.
Nice kit!
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Cutuu wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:14 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:35 pm I finally pulled the trigger on a 240, well, it is a Christmas gift from my wife so I can't play with it when it gets here. However, she said to get the one I wanted rather than giving her a list of three or four that I might want...but what did I decide on?

Nice kit!
Thanks. I know I said I was not looking for another laser but this one has been on the list for a long time. Hope that the extra length and weight over a 210 will be enough to give me what I am looking for. Sure I will enjoy having it in the rotation regardless!