WTB Konosuke Fujiyama White #2 Honyaki Gyuto

Here you can research prices of sold items.
Omega

WTB Konosuke Fujiyama White #2 Honyaki Gyuto

Post by Omega »

Hello all!

Trying my luck again- I am looking for a Konosuke Fujiama white #2 Honyaki Gyuto. Specifically the one with the laser grind. Interested in both 240 mm and 270 mm. Willing to consider any condition.

Happy to buy it from you, but if you prefer to try trade, I can see if I have anything you’d be interested in.

Thanks for looking!
Kalaeb

Re: WTB Konosuke Fujiyama White #2 Honyaki Gyuto

Post by Kalaeb »

Good luck. I know they are around, just a matter of whether anyone is willing to part with one.
Omega

Post by Omega »

Thanks man! Yeah.. Really hoping someone will consider it.

Willing to well! Definitely not trying to score one on the cheap.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Yeah. I'd love to try one, but I doubt I'll ever have the opportunity to own one. My guess is that, in the not-to-distant future, we'll see something similar if not superior, but my knowledge is that the smith that made these knives caught a terrible illness and will not be working again. So, if you want one of the old versions, the supply is limited and the prices will likely be high. I only know of two specific people that own one, and it is hard to imagine that more than about 15 were sold through Mark, but I have no idea.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Omega

Post by Omega »

I actually was able to speak with the smith, through proxy, about his Honyaki work. There WERE some health issues that played in to things.. but the bigger issue was the sheer volume of backorders on the shop. Thousands and thousands. So Honyaki have taken a bit of a back seat in production... That said, within the past two months, there was a shop that received some of his Honyaki work- four pieces, actually. So I feel confident in saying that the smith will still be making them.

Might not see them under Konosuke brand.. but fit and finish should be darn near identical. I was able to see close up shots of a Honyaki Suji by him- absolutely exquisite. And every bit as perfect as his pre-2014 work.

You're right, though, that not too many are out there. Thankfully there are potentially some custom orders to help augment what Mark sold.. but still, not an overabundance by any stretch.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Wow. Terrific info. Last I heard he was not only recovering from a potentially terminal illness, but he was likely to never return to the shop. This is totally news to me.

Good luck in acquiring one. Perhaps I should be on the look out. At the same time, I was very interested in the Sakai finishing of the blade, including the grind, etc. I'm not as confident I would even recognize his work if the finishing is done via another shop. PM me tips, if you like! Haha.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

Ummm, Shiraki wasn’t the smith that did the white2 version. It was the Ashi smith. He is alive and well. I’m not sure I understand the the thousand upon thousand backorder log as there were never many even made.
Omega

Post by Omega »

The shop responsible for the Konosuke White #2 honyaki do more knives then just Mizu-Honyaki blades. That's what a large percentage of the many thousands of backorders are. That's why I said that, because of those backorders, Honyaki aren't as much of a priority at the moment. They're busy making the other styles of blades.
salemj

Post by salemj »

The Ashi smith was the one that got sick, Scott. From what I understand, Shiraki hasn't had any major complications, he's just preparing for retirement (it is the sharpener who has slowed things down in that case). At least Ashi was sick a few years ago when I was inquiring about the slowing stream of blades...very sick, with a potentially fatal disease. I believe the Ashi smith also had a lot to do with the monosteel series and other stuff, too, which is what I'd assume Omega is referring to in terms of backlog.
~Joe

Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

salemj wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:26 am The Ashi smith was the one that got sick, Scott. From what I understand, Shiraki hasn't had any major complications, he's just preparing for retirement (it is the sharpener who has slowed things down in that case). At least Ashi was sick a few years ago when I was inquiring about the slowing stream of blades...very sick, with a potentially fatal disease. I believe the Ashi smith also had a lot to do with the monosteel series and other stuff, too, which is what I'd assume Omega is referring to in terms of backlog.
Joe, I have been told that the Ashi smith is well. It’s pretty much common knowledge that Shiraki San was ill and has been convalescing as of late. Not sure that he’s well, but it should be obvious that his knives have been missing as if late. The current kono Honyaki series mark has already said has been discontinued. Shiraki is one of the Fujiyama team and that line has been missing for quiet some time.
Omega

Post by Omega »

Must escape the 2nd page.. Bump!
appleward91

Post by appleward91 »

Good luck finding that one man, these are ones that people really don't part with, but wish u luck!
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

Good luck man , you’ll find one
Omega

Post by Omega »

Big thanks for the well-wishes guys! I really hope to find one as well.

To reiterate, willing to pay well! Not trying to get one cheap.
Also have a few BNIB Shiges and Katos that I'd be willing to put in as part of a trade if desired.
salemj

Post by salemj »

For anyone tracking, it seems as if Mark's most recent post regarding Kono Updates corresponds to virtually all of my points above. Whether or not this relates to the "actual" lives and activities of the smiths in question seems a bit less relevant than the fact that certain suppliers are providing a consistent message and have been for years.

In terms of more knives showing up somewhere, that is terrific, but it reminds me of my recent Kono 210 Western purchase. That was also a "found" knife from a previous batch made a couple years ago. Given that a new custom knife can easily take over a year to get through various shops in Sakai, seeing the work of a smith may only be reflective of activities from a year or more ago, and should not necessarily build anticipation.

I still wish Omega luck. There are a few of these out there, and it makes sense that they would trade hands occasionally. I sure hope the same thing doesn't happen to these knives that seems to be happening with contemporary art! Haha.
~Joe

Omega

Post by Omega »

Happy Halloween all. Bumping instead of trick or treating.
Omega

Post by Omega »

New Month, another bump. Happy to entertain any offer at all- even if you're unsure of letting it go.