Tonight's Beer

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Lepus

Tonight's Beer

Post by Lepus »

On the back of a tangent in a different thread, tonight's beer.

A Shock Top, thoroughly mediocre but also thoroughly drinkable, followed by an Allagash Tripel, thoroughly drinkable and absolutely excellent.
Cutuu

Re: Tonight's Beer

Post by Cutuu »

Like the thread!
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

I used to see Allagash down here in Florida but it's been a few years since I guess they pulled back on their distribution.

Left work and hit the bottle shop just 5 minute before 11 pm closing and got a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Wet Hop Northern Hemisphere Harvest Ale and a 6pk of Cigar City Jai Alai IPA. :)
timos

Post by timos »

Split one of these the other day with my wife. Very good if you like the style.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Ha. This would inspire me to start a “tonight’s tequila” thread, but I spend most nights in the workshop and that is a no no combined with drinks.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

Bensbites wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 am Ha. This would inspire me to start a “tonight’s tequila” thread, but I spend most nights in the workshop and that is a no no combined with drinks.
Power tools + drinking = ...

I like to drink a cold one while sharpening though.

Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

milkbaby wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:35 am
Bensbites wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 am Ha. This would inspire me to start a “tonight’s tequila” thread, but I spend most nights in the workshop and that is a no no combined with drinks.
Power tools + drinking = ...

I like to drink a cold one while sharpening though.

Unless you are using that 1x30 to sharpen, I could see myself doing the same thing.

About 10 yrs ago, my dad did the fingers vs tablesaw thing. It was eye opening, I like to think I am very thoughtful when working in the shop. There is be better safety device than ones brain.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I do love a decent sour.

Here's from a few nights ago. We sold this bottle and the table shared it with the kitchen.

This is the first time I've tried a wine of this caliber and felt like I got everything out of it. The perfume was extrodinary; it filled the dining room and the hallway for twenty meters further. It carried every flavor note I could have looked for. Truly, sublime.
BioDiver

Post by BioDiver »

Finished my last Brooklyn Oktoberfest last night (so far the best American Ok I've found) and need a new one; any suggestions?
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

Lepus wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:26 pm I do love a decent sour.

Here's from a few nights ago. We sold this bottle and the table shared it with the kitchen.

This is the first time I've tried a wine of this caliber and felt like I got everything out of it. The perfume was extrodinary; it filled the dining room and the hallway for twenty meters further. It carried every flavor note I could have looked for. Truly, sublime.
Dang, that is cool!
timos

Post by timos »

@biodiver For me I love that fresh bready malt taste ...I like getting it from a local place, near me its flying dreams and wormtown are my two favorites. They are both out of oktoberfest already :(

@Lepus, I dont know much about wine but reading about that D’Oliveira family has a fascinating history! Wow!
Last edited by timos on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

BioDiver wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 am Finished my last Brooklyn Oktoberfest last night (so far the best American Ok I've found) and need a new one; any suggestions?
I am a fan of the Sierra Nevada oktoberfest collaborations they do with a different German brewery each year. However, that also means it's different each year. The first year was a classic though the two following years have been nice. A nice plus is that they are relatively inexpensive especially in the 12 pack form. This year was a little lighter festbier that didn't have the bite and crispness of the first year's brew but still very drinkable.
BioDiver

Post by BioDiver »

milkbaby wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:55 am
BioDiver wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 am Finished my last Brooklyn Oktoberfest last night (so far the best American Ok I've found) and need a new one; any suggestions?
I am a fan of the Sierra Nevada oktoberfest collaborations they do with a different German brewery each year. However, that also means it's different each year. The first year was a classic though the two following years have been nice. A nice plus is that they are relatively inexpensive especially in the 12 pack form. This year was a little lighter festbier that didn't have the bite and crispness of the first year's brew but still very drinkable.
I'll have to give that a shot. St. Arnold changes their recipe every year as well and this year's was just okay. So far the best I've had has been the Weihenstephan, but given it's the oldest brewery in the world one would hope they'd have it figured out by now :P
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Social House vodka screwdriver. A local restaraunteur has started making this stuff and it's pretty solid, though for NC vodka I favor and very much enjoy Covington. This was a sample from an event held at our restaurant tonight. I bought the orange juice like a normal person.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Lonerider Brewing Shotgun Betty. It's a local brew and I like it fairly well. The big smells are bananas and cloves. The big flavors I pick up are bananas and toast backed up by a general melange of spices, almost like a spiced banana bread. It's a light bodied beer that finishes quickly with a tiny bitter kick at the very end. This one is a solid step up from a Shock Top.
timos

Post by timos »

Sounds like a delightful malt backbone on that one. Wheat beers are often a little cloying to me, the wheat is definitely an acquired taste. Makes a great breakfast beer too.
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

Will definitely be making regular contributions to this thread now that I know it's here.

Pic is older, but here's what I was drinking last night...
PizzaBoy.jpg
And this is my current favorite local beer...
JooseJuicy.jpg
timos

Post by timos »

ooooh that joose juicy looks like a good one.

I enjoyed this one as an after dinner drink the otehr night
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

--s. suzuki
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

milkbaby wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:55 am
I like trying the sampler tray at Sierra Nevada - helps you hone in on your favorite brew!
Chicagohawkie

Post by Chicagohawkie »

Here in Chicago, there is now a brew pub on every street corner trying to sell you a 8-10 dollar pint. It’s getting so played out now. I’m back to my 2 dollar high life’s and couldn’t be happier.