How short is too short?

Moderator: Bensbites

Bensbites

How short is too short?

Post by Bensbites »

Let’s say you only pinch grip a lightweight knife, why do you need a handle longer than three inches?

Cutuu

Re: How short is too short?

Post by Cutuu »

Balance is a thing to consider. Im not saying u cant balance it with a shorter handle, just saying
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

1 and 1/2" shorter than the one I made.

That's why I love this hobby! Hell give it a shot in use ( or have you already used it? ) and give us feedback on how it works. :) I have a couple of "mistakes" at the house I may even try one out on a practice blade I just got.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:33 pm Balance is a thing to consider. Im not saying u cant balance it with a shorter handle, just saying
That is exactly why I did this. The balance point is two inches infront of the handle at the second kanji character. I can upload a photo later if it helps.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Cutuu wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:33 pm Balance is a thing to consider. Im not saying u cant balance it with a shorter handle, just saying
Au contraire mon ami........ when I used to hustle pool I built/loaded a Maui stick loaded with lead hidden in the handle. That mofo broke a rack like a piece of cold rolled steel!

:lol:
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

nevrknow wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:41 pm
Au contraire mon ami........ when I used to hustle pool I built/loaded a Maui stick loaded with lead hidden in the handle. That mofo broke a rack like a piece of cold rolled steel!

:lol:
I miss those days, I played way way too much in college. There is nothing like the feeling running the table on the regulars who hustle other folks.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Here is a photo of the balance point. It works for me.
https://imgur.com/gallery/fyZ95
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

Nothing wrong with that. For me anyway. I like a blade heavy knife. Although I do have a few choil balanced ones for others in the fam.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

nevrknow wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:52 pm Nothing wrong with that. For me anyway. I like a blade heavy knife. Although I do have a few choil balanced ones for others in the fam.
There are plenty of Yo Macs and shuns for everyone else.
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

There are some people who claim that size doesn't matter, but three inches of wood seems kinda lacking... :lol:
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I prefer longer handles. I like to feel the butt of the handle against my wrist. I feel it helps me stability and control, especially when I use my index finger on the spine for cutting. And aesthetically I find it more appealing.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:22 am I prefer longer handles. I like to feel the butt of the handle against my wrist. I feel it helps me stability and control, especially when I use my index finger on the spine for cutting. And aesthetically I find it more appealing.
Agree with Matt 100%
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Kalaeb wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:22 am I prefer longer handles. I like to feel the butt of the handle against my wrist. I feel it helps me stability and control, especially when I use my index finger on the spine for cutting. And aesthetically I find it more appealing.
Thank you for the articulate, thoughtful feedback.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

milkbaby wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:42 am There are some people who claim that size doesn't matter, but three inches of wood seems kinda lacking... :lol:
We all knew this was coming.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I like longer handles, too, because I prefer thin handles and short, thin handles are very light. Sure, you can dope it with depleted uranium, but it's more work. I also perfer long handles aesthetically because I think they look more elegant.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that shorter handle except that it does arbitrarily limit you to a pinch grip. It is true that most of us grip up on the knife, but by how much can vary depending on what is being cut. For slicing I grip fairly far back with my index finger curled around the ferrule to rest right along the neck of the blade. That shorter handle wouldn't allow that. Some of the time I grip so far up only one or two fingers are in contact with the handle; at that point the handle might as well not exist.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I also like longer handles. But I don't like heavy handles. The point being that "balance" isn't just about weight, but also about the feel of extension beyond the fulcrum.

This isn't to say that others should prefer longer handles—not at all. Short is totally fine. But I would argue at length that there is a bit different between the feel of a short handle and a long handle in terms of balance, even when the "balance point" on the knife is identical. The type of distribution of the weight along the lever/axis has a very large effect in how it feels in use, as well as how it handle resistance (food) at different parts of the edge side.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Lepus wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:40 am I like longer handles, too, because I prefer thin handles and short, thin handles are very light. Sure, you can dope it with depleted uranium, but it's more work. I also perfer long handles aesthetically because I think they look more elegant.

I don't think there is anything wrong with that shorter handle except that it does arbitrarily limit you to a pinch grip. It is true that most of us grip up on the knife, but by how much can vary depending on what is being cut. For slicing I grip fairly far back with my index finger curled around the ferrule to rest right along the neck of the blade. That shorter handle wouldn't allow that. Some of the time I grip so far up only one or two fingers are in contact with the handle; at that point the handle might as well not exist.
Thank you
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

salemj wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:57 am I also like longer handles. But I don't like heavy handles. The point being that "balance" isn't just about weight, but also about the feel of extension beyond the fulcrum.

This isn't to say that others should prefer longer handles—not at all. Short is totally fine. But I would argue at length that there is a bit different between the feel of a short handle and a long handle in terms of balance, even when the "balance point" on the knife is identical. The type of distribution of the weight along the lever/axis has a very large effect in how it feels in use, as well as how it handle resistance (food) at different parts of the edge side.
Thank you.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I like shorter handles but I want enough real estate to use in a hammer grip for power cuts. I like handles about 4-4.5 inches. Also, while I like forward balance I would say that 2 inches in front of my pinch is too far. I like the balance point at my pinch which can change depending on the emoto. If the knife handle is snug to the choil with no neck them my pinch is about 1.5-2 inches in front of the bolster but if it has a long skinny neck it might only be 1/2 an inch in front. This also changes the length of handle that I like because I can still use a hammer grip but have a finger or two around the neck. A lot of factors come into play but I think 4.5 is playing it safe.

But we all have our preferences. Handle looks good!