Bunkas Thread

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Thezep

Bunkas Thread

Post by Thezep »

Bunkas have been very popular, figured I would just make a thread dedicated to them and drop them off here as they're completed. Most of the knives I make are made to order, but if you're interested just shoot me a PM :D .

datster

Re: Bunkas Thread

Post by datster »

Todd, is that first one Danny's? I recognize the second, just tuned it up on the stones the other day for him. Still looking to see #3, LOL! :D
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

Sure is! I still have 2 more to make after yours is done lol. One is going to be a style I like to call the "ABS" style with thick spine, pronounced taper, and full flat grind with a hamon out of some W2, going to be a Gyuto/Bunka 2pc set. I'm super excited to start on that project. How does the Nitro-V sharpen? If the difficulty polishing it is any indication I imagine it moves slow on the stones. I ground yours to a full flat, with the thin stock it should be like a light saber, would you prefer a satin or mirror finish?
datster

Post by datster »

Mirror would be cool, I can always make it satin after I do something stupid, LOL! I love the finish across the top though, can you keep that and mirror? As far as sharpening I just worked it for a while on an Okudo Shirosuita, it go sharp very nicely but it was fairly sharp when I started. Somehow he got a little burr on it, he said he had honed it on his stones and I'm guessing he made the burr and that is why he thought it wasn't sharp.
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

Due to the geometry of the blade the rough finish on top got kind of messed up during grinding because it is thinner than the other two. It's kind of hard to explain in words but if you think of a triangle closing in on itself with the abrasives at the bottom of the triangle sticking up they start rubbing against the area past the pinch point before actually grinding...if that makes any sense. However, I can etch some texture in with some acid, although this knife is doing something interesting I'v never seen with stainless where differential hardening lines are coming through as I polish. Either way, we'll get it where you like it, i'll send you some pics.
datster

Post by datster »

Todd,
Thanks for making me a very pretty Bunka that is thin and cuts very well. I haven't put it totally to work yet but I really enjoyed the pass around and this one promises to make me smile. Once I figure out how to post pics again I'll get a few up!