Cleaver for meat/bones

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
pgugger

Cleaver for meat/bones

Post by pgugger »

Hi everyone, I am looking for a good knife to cut meat and bones, mostly poultry, but would be nice to have the option to use it with thicker bones. I imagine a cleaver would be a good choice, but I am a little lost among the various styles, many of which seem oriented towards vegetables or general purpose kitchen knife. I already have a gyuto that I use as my go-to knife, but I need something for meat with small to medium bones, and hard squash, etc.

Thanks for your help!

1)Pro or home cook?
Home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Cleaver?

3) What size knife do you want?
6-8"?

4)How much do you want to spend?
<$300 ideally, but could go a little higher for something truly special

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Any

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Any?

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Masamoto 210mm Gyuto and some Victorinox paring, bread, and slicing knives

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Very good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
A little of everything

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes, have stones, but still learning
jmcnelly85

Re: Cleaver for meat/bones

Post by jmcnelly85 »

For a thicker, bone chopping cleaver, expensive isn’t necessary. My heavy duty cleaver (can’t read the kanji, Chinese made mystery cheapo) was found at a pawn shop for 15 bucks, you could easily find a good one for under 100. Dexter russel is said to make excellent heavy duty ones, cck has a few intriguing options. You don’t need (or want) top shelf steels for the task, something soft that can take a very coarse edge is where you want to go.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:35 pm For a thicker, bone chopping cleaver, expensive isn’t necessary. My heavy duty cleaver (can’t read the kanji, Chinese made mystery cheapo) was found at a pawn shop for 15 bucks, you could easily find a good one for under 100. Dexter russel is said to make excellent heavy duty ones, cck has a few intriguing options. You don’t need (or want) top shelf steels for the task, something soft that can take a very coarse edge is where you want to go.
The only answer you need. Something cheaper for this task. You break it? Mess up the edge? So what. Easy to fix. Worse case you're only out a few bucks. Softer steel is better to put thru hard use. Think axe or hatchet or machete.
pgugger

Post by pgugger »

Thank you! I was starting to suspect that inexpensive options were preferable but wasn't quite sure given the use of the term cleaver for various other knives.
gladius

Post by gladius »

I use an old inherited Dexter Russell and it works great! Choose an F.Dick if you want one a step above and still quite reasonable.
Chefcallari

Post by Chefcallari »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:35 pm For a thicker, bone chopping cleaver, expensive isn’t necessary. My heavy duty cleaver (can’t read the kanji, Chinese made mystery cheapo) was found at a pawn shop for 15 bucks, you could easily find a good one for under 100. Dexter russel is said to make excellent heavy duty ones, cck has a few intriguing options. You don’t need (or want) top shelf steels for the task, something soft that can take a very coarse edge is where you want to go.
I own the Dexter meat cleaver... I was wanting to try a chinese cleaver and then wife thought she would surprise me.... What came to the door was a 7" rosewood handle triple riveted 4lb hatchet...
Like no joke... I took down a 4" thick tree next to my place with it no problem!
My sous chef decided to order a case of chicken bones(why i dont know.. We break chickens in house and always have plenty for stock) ..
They come in a 40lb FROZEN block of bones.... Like a hans solo of chicken parts...
Then he decided to chop it in 1/4's... Knife of choice... My dexter cleaver...
He smashed through 40lbs of bone and ice. ... Hit it so hard he hit the tile floor....
Took a chunk out of the floor...
The damage to the knife?... A 1mm piece of tip came off... Probably from hitting the floor.... as a 240lb man swung it like a fucking Viking.

So yea... I would recommend a dexter... Literally bullet proof
Jason H

Post by Jason H »

Chefcallari wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:39 pm
I own the Dexter meat cleaver... I was wanting to try a chinese cleaver and then wife thought she would surprise me.... What came to the door was a 7" rosewood handle triple riveted 4lb hatchet...
Like no joke... I took down a 4" thick tree next to my place with it no problem!
My sous chef decided to order a case of chicken bones(why i dont know.. We break chickens in house and always have plenty for stock) ..
They come in a 40lb FROZEN block of bones.... Like a hans solo of chicken parts...
Then he decided to chop it in 1/4's... Knife of choice... My dexter cleaver...
He smashed through 40lbs of bone and ice. ... Hit it so hard he hit the tile floor....
Took a chunk out of the floor...
The damage to the knife?... A 1mm piece of tip came off... Probably from hitting the floor.... as a 240lb man swung it like a fucking Viking.

So yea... I would recommend a dexter... Literally bullet proof
This is hilarious and probably would make a great ad for Dexter. I need a knife like this.