Family portrait. Thank you Takeda-san.

Robstreperous

Family portrait. Thank you Takeda-san.

Post by Robstreperous »

I don't know exactly when it happened but somewhere along the way I adopted a family from Okayma, JPN. Happy I did.

timos

Re: Family portrait. Thank you Takeda-san.

Post by timos »

very nice, very nice :)
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Wow. That looks like fun!
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

That is an amazing assortment. I feel lucky owning even one.
AlanGi

Post by AlanGi »

Awesome collection, Rob. And a nice pic too. Which one's your favorite?
I'm predicting that people would lose a lot of weight with these fat burners for women easily.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

AlanGi wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:46 am Awesome collection, Rob. And a nice pic too. Which one's your favorite?
I really enjoy them all for different reasons. They're different knives you know? Like asking which do you like better your hammer or your saw?

That said, I personally feel his bunkas don't get enough press for how good they are. Absolutely fantastic vegetable processors -- with tips unlike a nakiri -- and stellar food release. Can't beat 'em.

I understand there's a hurdle to get over finally saying "yeah. I think I want to use a bunka instead of my trusty gyuto ." But for me at least these are totally worth it. I used to hate recipes that required a lot of diced or minced shallot. That 170 has totally changed the equation for me.

Lots and lots of vegetable only? I hardly ever use my nakiri anymore. Straight to the Takeda 210.
easilver

Post by easilver »

Your blade roads are wider than mine. Did you flatten the bevel on these? Do they have secondary bevels?

That Sujihiki is gorgeous.
Ed in L.A.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

easilver wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:10 pm Your blade roads are wider than mine. Did you flatten the bevel on these? Do they have secondary bevels?
I was thinking the same Ed.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:46 pm
easilver wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:10 pm Your blade roads are wider than mine. Did you flatten the bevel on these? Do they have secondary bevels?
I was thinking the same Ed.
I haven't modified these knives at all. The suji, 210 bunka and ko bocho are direct from Mark over the last 24 months or so. I picked up the gyuto from Chef Phil who'd owned it for a while. The 170 bunka was a flip last month from ChefJeff who tried it but wanted a rounder profile. As far as I know the 170 bunka is a pretty new blade.

The bladeroad on the gyuto was sharpened by Shosui himself about 15 months ago at a show in NJ. He showed me how to lay the knife very flat on the stone and sharpen that way with no seconsdary bevel at all. I'd gone a bit convex trying to sharpen it the only way I knew at that time. I've sharpened the sujihiki and 210 that way since but the ko bocho hasn't needed much more than basic strops and touchups so far.

Even with all of the knives Takeda-san must have sharpened in his life he still uses the sharpie trick. To be entirely honest, if he handn't shown me that technique in person I probably would have been scared to try it. Now, especially after reviewing his sharpening video a few times and having done it -- yes I pull out the sharpie -- it's not quite so intimidating.
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:41 pm
AlanGi wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:46 am Awesome collection, Rob. And a nice pic too. Which one's your favorite?
I really enjoy them all for different reasons. They're different knives you know? Like asking which do you like better your hammer or your saw?

That said, I personally feel his bunkas don't get enough press for how good they are. Absolutely fantastic vegetable processors -- with tips unlike a nakiri -- and stellar food release. Can't beat 'em.

I understand there's a hurdle to get over finally saying "yeah. I think I want to use a bunka instead of my trusty gyuto ." But for me at least these are totally worth it. I used to hate recipes that required a lot of diced or minced shallot. That 170 has totally changed the equation for me.

Lots and lots of vegetable only? I hardly ever use my nakiri anymore. Straight to the Takeda 210.
I have been looking on the forum for this exact answer. Thanks so much
slobound

Post by slobound »

Wow! I love this.
-- Garrick
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Rob just showing off!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Spipet

Post by Spipet »

I love that tiny little saya!