I'm back...miss the forums

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
SteveG

I'm back...miss the forums

Post by SteveG »

Sorry for being AWOL for a while. I started a new IT consulting job in December after on-boarding during November. It's a demanding job and I'm learning our company systems/processes/procedures, clients' IT systems, etc. Haven't had much time to even browse the CKTG forums.

I do have a batch of knives that I'll finish shortly and get more videos out. Here's what I have on-hand:

Yahiko Shirogami Hairline Petty 135, Nakiri 165, Gyuto 180, 210, 240
Takayuki Damascus Hammered VG-10 Kengata 160mm, 190mm
Musatani VG-1 Gyuto 180mm
Takayuki AS Kengata 160mm, 200mm
Hinoura Tamashii W#2 Nakiri 165mm (very nice knife!)
Kanehide Ps60 Wa Gyuto 210mm, 240mm
Shibata Kotetsu AS Gyuto 240mm (HD2 replacement? - it's pretty darn good)
Takayuki Homura Kengata 225mm (No I have not used this one :-))
Barrister & Mann Cheshire shaving soap (lather for days ;-))

Questions? Ask away.

Man I have a LOT of catching up to do - multiple pages of unread topics...
Kalaeb

Re: I'm back...miss the forums

Post by Kalaeb »

Good to have you back.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Nice to see you back, Steve. Happy new year! I was wondering what was going on with you lately! Glad to hear it is filled with new challenges and such rather than something else.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Glad to hear from you! I had wondered if you were on vacation or if life took over. Seems you have a bit going on but that is a good thing, or at least I think so!
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

That's very good news. Congratulations. I look forward to your necroposts.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Congrats on the new job. I hope you are enjoying the IT work!

Welcome back.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Congrats on the new job Steve....hope it will allow you a little knife time going forward.
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Glad you're doing well man!
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Inhuman

Post by Inhuman »

Welcome Steve , we missed ya !
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Thanks everyone. At least I won't have any shortage of reading material for a while :-).
scopi

Post by scopi »

Trying to convince myself of the need for an all stainless midsize general purpose knife suitable for chopping and dicing. Something i can just have on the bench when busy and not need to worry too much about wiping / drying. I will be interested to get a closer look at the Takayuki 190 mm Kengata on your list Steve. I like that it's 50mm tall but haven't worked with a tip that pointy ....
old onion

Post by old onion »

Oh come on Steve,having a demanding job is no excuse.Heck,I worked 10 hour days,6 days a week for 17 years and still had time to feed the chickens when I got home.
Good to see you back Steve and Happy New Year to you and yours.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

old onion wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:25 am Oh come on Steve,having a demanding job is no excuse.Heck,I worked 10 hour days,6 days a week for 17 years and still had time to feed the chickens when I got home.
Man, I know that feeling! Not for 17 years but I worked like that in automotive to be able to pay for college and then stayed at the car plant because it paid better with over time... :lol: Then I moved to Spain but that is another story. I too had to find time to feed the chickens as well as butcher them. :mrgreen: Speaking of which, I have a bantam Old English Game Hen in my kitchen in a rubber tote right now because she was lethargic last night, it got freaking cold. All seems well now. Think I am going to keep her in the house until Sunday when the negative temps go. These bantams don't seem to do subzero well.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:16 am
old onion wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:25 am Oh come on Steve,having a demanding job is no excuse.Heck,I worked 10 hour days,6 days a week for 17 years and still had time to feed the chickens when I got home.
Man, I know that feeling! Not for 17 years but I worked like that in automotive to be able to pay for college and then stayed at the car plant because it paid better with over time... :lol: Then I moved to Spain but that is another story. I too had to find time to feed the chickens as well as butcher them. :mrgreen: Speaking of which, I have a bantam Old English Game Hen in my kitchen in a rubber tote right now because she was lethargic last night, it got freaking cold. All seems well now. Think I am going to keep her in the house until Sunday when the negative temps go. These bantams don't seem to do subzero well.
Good grief,we must be twins. My wife and I are tending to our favorite Bard Rock because our Bannie rooster is beating up on her and kicked her out of the coop.We have her in a horse stall with one of our horses right now to keep warm.Constantly checking on her.It's so darn cold.Good luck with your girl.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

old onion wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:38 pm
Good grief,we must be twins. My wife and I are tending to our favorite Bard Rock because our Bannie rooster is beating up on her and kicked her out of the coop.We have her in a horse stall with one of our horses right now to keep warm.Constantly checking on her.It's so darn cold.Good luck with your girl.
Our hen did not make it. I caught it too late. My wife is rather upset. Funny thing is that I dispatch and butcher over 100 a year and she has no issue with that. Like I said before, I guess it is different once you name them. Some animals are pets and others food.
old onion

Post by old onion »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:49 pm
old onion wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:38 pm
Our hen did not make it. I caught it too late. My wife is rather upset. Funny thing is that I dispatch and butcher over 100 a year and she has no issue with that. Like I said before, I guess it is different once you name them. Some animals are pets and others food.
Sorry to hear that Kit,and Mrs. Kit.
All our animals have names too.I know the feeling.