Limpet's knives

Igalor

Re: Limpet's knives

Post by Igalor »

how is the Kashima sanjo? I've been looking real hard at that one lately
limpet

Post by limpet »

Sorry, the Kashima Sanjo is one of my three newest knives that I haven’t got around to use yet, and the Masashi is another.
gladius

Post by gladius »

How do you rate the Mazaki?
I am considering picking up one from the Yoshihiro Mazaki series.

limpet

Post by limpet »

gladius wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:26 pm How do you rate the Mazaki?

The grind on that picture looks taller/wider than on my Mazaki. I’m using it as main knife right now and will post some thoughts on it in a week or two on IG. Meanwhile you can read my comments in this IG post for some first impressions.

limpet

Post by limpet »

Nisaku breadknife, K Sabatier stainless paring knife, Yoshiaki Fujiwara sujihiki & santoku.

MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

gladius wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:26 pm How do you rate the Mazaki?

I've been heavily considering it as well! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
limpet

Post by limpet »

A group shot of three knives made in Sanjo. Yoshikane, Hinoura and Kashima Sanjo.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I've had a growing interest in Sanjo made knives. They definitely seperate themselves from the more common J-knives.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
limpet

Post by limpet »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:50 pm I've had a growing interest in Sanjo made knives. They definitely seperate themselves from the more common J-knives.
Sanjo made knives are beginning to become a big part of my collection: Shigefusa, Yoshikane, Masashi, Wakui, Hinoura, Munetoshi, Toyama, Mazaki. Often, but not always, a bit thicker knives. Great grinds and very thin edges.

Edit: Also I really like the rather flat profile many of these knives have. Very straight at the heel, no back belly to speak of, but still not ”clonky” on the board.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

limpet wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:27 pm
That speckled stone in the photo - is that the synthetic Aoto?
How do you like it? Can you say a few words on it? Thanks!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

limpet wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:33 pm
Jeff B wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:50 pm I've had a growing interest in Sanjo made knives. They definitely seperate themselves from the more common J-knives.
Sanjo made knives are beginning to become a big part of my collection: Shigefusa, Yoshikane, Masashi, Wakui, Hinoura, Munetoshi, Toyama, Mazaki. Often, but not always, a bit thicker knives. Great grinds and very thin edges.

Edit: Also I really like the rather flat profile many of these knives have. Very straight at the heel, no back belly to speak of, but still not ”clonky” on the board.
Exactly what I have grown to like in knives. Straight at the heel, thick spine and thin behind the edge. I have hands on experience with Yoshikane, Wakui, Hinoura, Toyama and am very interested in getting a Mazaki next. These knives have given me an appreciation of laser like performance in a workhorse built knife.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
limpet

Post by limpet »

Altadan wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:42 pm That speckled stone in the photo - is that the synthetic Aoto?
How do you like it? Can you say a few words on it? Thanks!
Yes, it’s the JNS syntetic aoto. I can’t give a very extensive opinion on it, since I don’t own that many stones to compare it with. I use it almost exclusively for touch ups and removing micro chipping. It’s very hard and doesn’t seem to attract scratches and ”dirt” as much as my 6000 grit stone. Feels faster than my 6000 as well. It won’t give the core steel a mirror polish, but I bet it’s good for prepolish.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

That stone looks worth buying just because it's so cool looking! 8-)
limpet

Post by limpet »

My current main knife backlog, from right to left: Kashima Sanjo Gyuto 240, Wakui Nakiri 180, Munetoshi Nakiri 180, Murata Tall Petty 120, Shibata Kotetsu AS Gyuto 240, Mazaki Gyuto 240 and Itinomonn Gyuto 270.

Edit: I really enjoy photos like these where you can see difference in size and profile.

Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Limpet can you tell me what you know about the kashima sanjo you got?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

What do you mean by "backlog"?
limpet

Post by limpet »

Cutuu wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 2:27 pm Limpet can you tell me what you know about the kashima sanjo you got?
I have it on the top of my todo-list to post some thoughts on it on Instagram, but it’s going slow writing it down. I’m going to be extra busy next week, but hopefully I’ll post something later. It’s a seller rebrand so maker is unknown, much like the Yahiko lines here at CKTG. But it’s clearly high quality stuff with great performance, fit & finish. Also very nice distal taper with thin tip. The cladding finish is a bit odd. It looks like a matte, frosty, fake kasumi. Good news is that it’s very smooth and hasn’t got any annoying friction, imo. Also, the cladding appears to be semi stainless.
limpet

Post by limpet »

Jeff B wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:56 pm What do you mean by "backlog"?
It’s how I rotate knives. I create a list of knives (backlog) mixing old with new, favorites with knives that have gathered dust for maybe two years (rediscovery). Then I go through the list, using each knife as main go-to-knife for 1-2 weeks, and then I post some thoughts about it on Instagram.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

limpet wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 1:09 am
Jeff B wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:56 pm What do you mean by "backlog"?
It’s how I rotate knives. I create a list of knives (backlog) mixing old with new, favorites with knives that have gathered dust for maybe two years (rediscovery). Then I go through the list, using each knife as main go-to-knife for 1-2 weeks, and then I post some thoughts about it on Instagram.
Aw, I see. That is one impressive "backlog"! That's what you get for having so many impressive knives. ;)
limpet

Post by limpet »

So I had a kind of burnout on knives and instagram for a while, but I’m feeling my knife interest is slowly coming back. Even bought some new knives the last two months (it’s been a while).

First, another Wakui 180 gyuto.

Then, another VG10 knife by Yu Kurosaki, a Fujin 210 gyuto.

Then, a Tanaka Ginsan 170 gyuto with western handle (simple pakka scales).

And finally, a big buy, the Yoshikazu Ikeda 240 gyuto. First photo together with an Ikeda migaki 210 and then with a Masakage Shimo. The Ikeda is only 46 mm tall at the heel which together with that neck feels a bit unusual. My photos here are kind of crappy. Also, I think the blade is covered with lacquer which makes it less shiny.