Whats on the bench!!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
HHH Knives

Whats on the bench!!

Post by HHH Knives »

Hey guys and gals I will share phoitos here as I can of projects. New stuff. and generally Whats on the bench :D

These are A couple in progress. San mai, Stainless over Blue#2 carbon core. with Meteorite damascus bolsters.

I get to slect the handle materials from my stash on these. Want to do matching. Decisions decisions.

Thanks for checkin out the thread please let me know what ya think
HHH Knives. Meteorite damascus bolsters San Mai Blue#2 blades. Nakiri, Gyuto Set IN PROGRESS
HHH Knives. Meteorite damascus bolsters San Mai Blue#2 blades. Nakiri, Gyuto Set IN PROGRESS
HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit!

God is GOOD, ALL the time!!!
Randy Haas
http://hhhcustomknives.com
mark76

Re: Whats on the bench!!

Post by mark76 »

Looking great!
https://japaneseknifereviews.wordpress.com/: my blog with Japanese Knife Reviews
https://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

This is what I think,

:shock:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

So today was all but a wash. I spent about 4 hours in the shop. trying to select the perfect combination of wood/spacer/pins etc. Im happy that I narrowed it down to 2 choices now for the wood. A deep colored Rosewood burl or lighter colored Gator pattern Afzilia .. Or maybe some natural colored spalted curly maple burl. Dang it. thats 3 lol

This part of a project for me has, and always will be one of the most important aspects of the knife. Its hard to really explain the way this part work. However, I will try. And try to do so in a way that a chef of cook might relate to.

So you as a chef are asked to prepare a important new dish for a friend or client. Or a new menu.. etc..
You have the main ingredients selected.. Lets say Chicken and rice. And you have a unbelievable Pantry and fridge with every possible spice, ingredients you could imagine.. However. There are 1000 ways you can "choose" to prepare this chicken and rice. as well as the rest of the plate, sides. etc.. This is sorta the same as how it is for me to select the handle materials on a custom knife set like this..

I have, many hundreds of wood options. Then another dozen plus for spacers and or liners. and a endless number of possible spacers.Based off all of the different materials in my shop that "could be" made intro some form of spacer. and all must work with the pins and bolster and blade.. So my pantry is full of the very best stuff. None are "wrong" BUT one or two are PERFECT.. In the end. There are many "right" ways to go. But also adding one "wrong" spice or combining flavors that dont jell with the rest of the dish.. [ Well.... You see where Im going.

Similar to cooking, Often the end results will be a amazing.. Well seasoned and complement one another. But the very best plates are very carefully thought out, assembled with a perfect combination that is cooked, seasoned, and prepared and presented perfectly... These are what we might call. exceptional. Which is what I strive for, and why this is so important to me when I am making a custom knife.

OK so yea. lol I may be CRAZY.. [ I just spent another hour+ looking at materials.. I needed to walk away for a minute and reflect. Im down to 2 handle material choice. and have selected the spacer/liner/pins.

Blessings
Randy
HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit!

Randy Haas
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Randy your definitely crazy but that cool "artist" kind of crazy. ;) You make some of the most BADASS handles in the industry from my view. I have no doubts that whatever the chef comes up with for this dish will be awesome! :ugeek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Hey guys. So I finished cooking this batch of culinary goodness! Here is a couple photos.

After alot of deliberation. I went with Snake wood. and copper with the meteorite damascus bolsters and Blue#2 core san mai.

Comments and critiques welcomed..
Blessings
Randy
Attachments
IMG_1704 (800x560).jpg
IMG_1694 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1684 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1682 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1670 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1654 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1632 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1702 (800x533).jpg

Randy Haas
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Randy
As always...the only word I can find is ...stunning.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Critiques welcomed? How about....Those knives are friggin' awesome! ;)
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

And a few photos of them in there new pants!

IMG_1817 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1803 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1782 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1754 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1752 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1749 (800x514).jpg
IMG_1748 (800x534).jpg
IMG_1746 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1743 (800x533).jpg

Randy Haas
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I just had a knifegasm, I'm going to go change my underwear now......
Mawgie

Post by Mawgie »

Stunning craftsmanship! One thing that struck me in looking at the photos was the contrast in bolster pins. The pin closest to the bolster has your logo set in a field of red, and the one toward the butt looks like solid brass. The contrast is interesting. Perhaps a rear pin designed with a bit of the same color red from the front pin and a subtle pattern complementing your knife logo might be something to consider? The wood grain and finish work on the nakiri saya is stunning. Thanks for posting.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I'm still trying to figure out how you got all of that detail work put into the top side and butt end of the tang. Simply amazing!!!
--- Steve
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Paring knives. In progress.
IMG_1850 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1849 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1848 (800x533).jpg

Randy Haas
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Just when you think you've seen it all! :shock:

SPECTACULAR!
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

IMG_1884 (800x533).jpg

Randy Haas
mark76

Post by mark76 »

Indeed... looking stunning. How did you get those colors in the knives?
https://japaneseknifereviews.wordpress.com/: my blog with Japanese Knife Reviews
https://moleculepolishing.wordpress.com/: my blog about sharpening with the Wicked Edge
jason

Post by jason »

HHH Knives wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:01 pm Paring knives. In progress.

IMG_1850 (800x533).jpgIMG_1849 (800x533).jpgIMG_1848 (800x533).jpg
Please post up pics of these when they're done! I'm intrigued to see the finish thing! They're rather wild!
Willison_Knives

Post by Willison_Knives »

HHH Knives wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:01 pm Paring knives. In progress.

IMG_1850 (800x533).jpgIMG_1849 (800x533).jpgIMG_1848 (800x533).jpg
!!!!!!!!!!
i have always wondered how this is accomplished. ever since i saw stan wilson knives.
care to humour me? doubt i can pull something like that off for awhile.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

These paring blades ore still on the bench. They are a side project. and oas I have time I will be getting handles on them and sharing photos. :) Thanks guys for your interest.

The process to color them like this is done with Blueing salts. Similar to how a gun barrel was blued.. Niterblue is the salts I used on these. That combined with damascus made using O1, L6 and nickel..

Randy Haas
Willison_Knives

Post by Willison_Knives »

HHH Knives wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:27 am These paring blades ore still on the bench. They are a side project. and oas I have time I will be getting handles on them and sharing photos. :) Thanks guys for your interest.

The process to color them like this is done with Blueing salts. Similar to how a gun barrel was blued.. Niterblue is the salts I used on these. That combined with damascus made using O1, L6 and nickel..
very cool! i sorta thought about how it was done but just didn't really have any idea where to start. now that you say that it makes sense. just have to start making some damascus i guess! one day. Thanks for the info
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives