Makoto santoku initial impressions

Bensbites

Re: Makoto santoku initial impressions

Post by Bensbites »

This thread is killing me.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Bensbites wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:01 pm This thread is killing me.
Nothing but fun deep in the rabbit hole! :twisted:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I'd have bought a Makoto a while ago if I didn't somehow miss that it's stainless clad! This thread has made me all the more excited to try one
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Wish I knew it was stainless clad, too. When I had a Makoto recently as a catch and release, I wiped excessively since I knew I would sell it. Just wanted to see what all the fuss was about (Fuss is warranted, by the way).

I don't mind some knife blingy-ness, and this one is a helluva good looker
Jeffry B
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

To clarify, performance, style of grind, edge profile, and steel resemble my Yuki, which I do not find to have the same flaws I have read about but do find to have most of the benefits I read about. Whether I am not attentive to those issues, my Yuki is better than average, or other peoples' Yukis are worse than average I cannot say. The handle and fit are unquestionably better and I would say overall performance may be better, too.

I have been using the knife moderately and retention is proving at least good. I have sent it through enough produce I would be happy if it was reaching its limit, but it still has a lot of that off the stone feel. I do wonder how it is going to start to fade. It has formed an ideal stable patina, the sort of matte grey with hints of color that is not much to look at but is absolutely not going to rust unless I make a big mistake.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I hit the wall on retention on this knife yesterday. It has proven roughly comparable to my Yuki. The edge dropped off fast, to the point it was struggling fanning strawberries. I plan to sharpen it tomorrow morning with the Matsubara and see how it likes a more polished edge.

I have had a few coworkers use this knife as well and they have all assumed it cost much more than it did. One said it was his favorite of my knives. That puts it ahead of a Takeda, a Watanabe, and a Konosuke Fujiyama and Ginsan.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:08 pm Wish I knew it was stainless clad, too. When I had a Makoto recently as a catch and release, I wiped excessively since I knew I would sell it. Just wanted to see what all the fuss was about (Fuss is warranted, by the way).

I don't mind some knife blingy-ness, and this one is a helluva good looker
Yeah its funny. I kept thinking that mine was very reactive and assumed there was maybe a laquer on it. I used it here and there quickly, but failed to notice the obvious before selling it.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Lepus wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:30 pm I hit the wall on retention on this knife yesterday. It has proven roughly comparable to my Yuki. The edge dropped off fast, to the point it was struggling fanning strawberries. I plan to sharpen it tomorrow morning with the Matsubara and see how it likes a more polished edge.

I have had a few coworkers use this knife as well and they have all assumed it cost much more than it did. One said it was his favorite of my knives. That puts it ahead of a Takeda, a Watanabe, and a Konosuke Fujiyama and Ginsan.
My Yuki acts like that too. Keeps a good edge and dies all at once. Rather it loses that 'bite' in the edge all at once.