End Grain Hinoki/Aomori Hiba Cutting Board w/ Juice Grooves and cut in side groove handles

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
hawkoath

End Grain Hinoki/Aomori Hiba Cutting Board w/ Juice Grooves and cut in side groove handles

Post by hawkoath »

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there is Hinoki/Aomori Hiba Cutting Board out there that can serve multiple tasks with Juice Grooves and those side groove handles? Also wondering if there are end grain options for a board like this or if it's even necessary?
Puduu

Re: End Grain Hinoki/Aomori Hiba Cutting Board w/ Juice Grooves and cut in side groove handles

Post by Puduu »

Do you mean end grain hinoki?

If so, the wood is so soft that there isn't any need for end grain. It's lovely stuff for babying your edges.

I'm not a fan of juice grooves, but I also don't put drippy / saucy stuff on my hinoki/Aomori hiba boards. They will stain, even if you pre-wet them before use. I use Asahi rubber for all those messy jobs.
Klotf

Re: End Grain Hinoki/Aomori Hiba Cutting Board w/ Juice Grooves and cut in side groove handles

Post by Klotf »

Aomori Hiba is going to be a single piece of wood, therefore end grain is irrelevant.

It is absolutely lovely, looks great, it’ll caress your blade as it touches it and it smell beautiful when you wash it.

Also because of the fact that it’s one piece, it tolerates wet much more than anything else

The downside being that it’s expensive and you will not find very large boards. I went for the largest I could find and it’s only 510mm x 240mm x 34mm
hawkoath

Post by hawkoath »

thanks guys. exactly what i needed to know, hinoki wood is soft enough that end grain isnt necessary and probably not that great for really juicy things. so end grain and juice grooves wouldnt be necessary