Protect/waterproof the machi

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Puduu

Protect/waterproof the machi

Post by Puduu »

I'm thinking about a small petty (<100mm) for carving and in hand work. I much prefer Wa handles over Yo, but this kind of work usually involves juice dripping in all the wrong places. Is there a good way to protect the machi and the wood under the ferrule? Or is it simply a bad idea and I need to resign myself to a western handle?

Thanks
Carter

Re: Protect/waterproof the machi

Post by Carter »

You could seal it with wax, or better yet epoxy. Sealing the tang will keep the bad juices out and will also seal against water getting in the handle and causing rust on the tang.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Carter wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:51 pm You could seal it with wax, or better yet epoxy. Sealing the tang will keep the bad juices out and will also seal against water getting in the handle and causing rust on the tang.
About all that can be said about that.Yes it can be done and just like that... :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Puduu

Post by Puduu »

Awesome, thanks!

I've used epoxy before but never on a knife. Is there a type that is accepted as the best for this application, or can I just hit the local hardware shop? I already use wax on the body of the handles and try to coat well that area where wood meets metal, but I assume stuff will get in there eventually.

(edit: Just found a thread on the old forum archive: sealing-the-wa-tang-junction)
Carter

Post by Carter »

Devcon or Jb Weld would work....JB comes in darker colors...could be good depending on the color of the ferrule.....either is good, apply with a toothpick....for best results, let it cure then cut away the excess with an X-acto or utility knife. You should wipe the tang/ferrule area with acetone/alcohol and make sure there is no wax in that area.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I've used JB Weld on a couple knive because I already had it on hand and it has held up well. I taped up the handle and tang well to keep from making a mess and easier clean up.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Puduu

Post by Puduu »

Great. Thank you both!

I can just about manage that, I think.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I like wax. It is simple and easy to reapply.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

I have filled gaps with melted beeswax, but these days I install handles with epoxy, then fill any gaps with CA glue. I would suggest covering any areas you don’t want adhesive with board conditioner.
gladius

Post by gladius »

A few drops of mineral oil dowm the tang/handle junction then capping with wax works well to seal from moisture.
Puduu

Post by Puduu »

That sounds easy and very very doable. Easy = good for lazy people like me.
old onion

Post by old onion »

gladius wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:40 pm A few drops of mineral oil dowm the tang/handle junction then capping with wax works well to seal from moisture.
This ! Exactly how I do it. My way of thinking is: I might want to re-handle it someday and do not want to make it any harder then it already might be by adding epoxy to the mix.
Puduu

Post by Puduu »

Ah, that's actually a very good point. Something I had not considered.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I have recommended this one before, https://sugru.com/
Puduu

Post by Puduu »

Wow, I've never heard of that before. Certainly has a flash website. Works well?
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Puduu wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:27 am Wow, I've never heard of that before. Certainly has a flash website. Works well?
It really does, waterproof and maliable. Best part it it's not horribly difficult to remove.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:49 am
Puduu wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:27 am Wow, I've never heard of that before. Certainly has a flash website. Works well?
It really does, waterproof and maliable. Best part it it's not horribly difficult to remove.
I am pretty sure it is made from silicone caulking and cornstarch.
Puduu

Post by Puduu »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:49 am It really does, waterproof and maliable. Best part it it's not horribly difficult to remove.
Looks intriguing, thanks very much. I will have to investigate that further - might be useful around the house too.

Bensbites wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:18 am I am pretty sure it is made from silicone caulking and cornstarch.
:|
Hmm... if that's the case, I think I like the sound of oil and wax a bit better.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Bensbites wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:18 am
You have said that before, but I cannot get the consistency the same nor do I have the time to mess with it. Maybe I am just lazy, but I would rather just open a package, lol
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:30 pm
Bensbites wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:18 am

You have said that before, but I cannot get the consistency the same nor do I have the time to mess with it. Maybe I am just lazy, but I would rather just open a package, lol
Nothing wrong with that.

FYI

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To- ... ubstitute/