Pass Around

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Dave Kinogie

Pass Around

Post by Dave Kinogie »

So, let me start off by saying, I royally F'ed up a pass around or 2 in my day. Won't get into the why's and when's, it was never malicious, never intended, etc. That said, I owe it to the forum to present one. I honestly had/still wanted to anyway, past be damned, and I participated in a few with no hitches, so without further ado, I present to you my modest options:

Kochi Kurouchi 150mm Petty - V2 steel, really sweet petty. I don't follow the pass arounds too closely anymore, I'm sorry if it's in poor taste to offer a pass around from a knife sold exclusively by other sellers, just figured it's a nice option cause they're rarely in stock. Owned this knife for maybe 4 years iirc.

Konosuke VG10 Damascus Nakiri - Originally offered on CKTG afaik, from a limited run. I traded for this one maybe 4 years ago as well. Idk how I feel about this knife. The F&F are not in line with other Kono's, but it's a really interesting knife. It's thick and blade heavy, weird grinds, but thin behind the edge. When it's sharpened properly it's a beast though.

I'll leave it up to a vote on which knife is headed out.

100 post minimum, I'll ask for addresses in PM when we get it narrowed down. I guess 7 posters max, a week each with the knife.

I also have an Ikeda KS clone from the original batch, but I'm about to send it out for a spa day, it has some surface rust, maybe even a hair of pitting in a spot or 2. I have no problem sending that one as the pass around, but the first to receive it must be someone established who can definitely clean it up proper. If that were the case I'll toss you a CKTG gift card as a show of appreciation instead of sending it with my neglected Shig to a shop early next week. I figure a knife in need of repair is in bad taste as well though lol.

Anyway, again, I'll leave it up to a vote, you guys let me know which you want me to send.

Peace and chicken grease.
keithmarder

Re: Pass Around

Post by keithmarder »

Sounds interesting. I am here to get my post count up so I can participate in the future
cooknola

Post by cooknola »

The Nakiri gets my vote. Not a profile I have a lot of experience with and the steel sounds lovely to boot.
-C-
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I had a Kochi 180 nakiri. Good line of knives. Excellent all-round performers for the money.

A Kono VG 10 sounds interesting. I own a Kono Swedish petty, used to own a Kono ginsan and tried a few other of their stainless knives. I imagine the do great heat treat with V10. I'd probably prefer the Kono but gonna sit out. I've 'graduated' to 180 nakiris.
Jeffry B
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

I would love to try a Nakiri. It is going to be my next purchase.
Adam41kKax

Pass Around

Post by Adam41kKax »

How bout putting the collaboration/pass around knife forums back up? There was a good amount of interest and we were able to keep people posted as to what is going on. Thanks
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Adam41kKax wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:33 am How bout putting the collaboration/pass around knife forums back up? There was a good amount of interest and we were able to keep people posted as to what is going on. Thanks
Look at the header. This is the Pass Arounds Forum ;)
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

If there is room I’d love to join
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

CacahuateSommelier wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:28 pm If there is room I’d love to join
This is a revived dead thread from February.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:27 pm
CacahuateSommelier wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:28 pm If there is room I’d love to join
This is a revived dead thread from February.
I’m an idiot..... move along now.... nothing to see here