I got the last Makoto 210

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
shevitz

I got the last Makoto 210

Post by shevitz »

I guess these are becoming the new "it" knives. I've been waiting for a while to see when they were back in stock. I was surprised that there was stock today and was getting ready to pull the trigger but had some work to do. I came back a few minutes later and there was one left, which I picked up :) . How long did they last?
ashy2classy

Re: I got the last Makoto 210

Post by ashy2classy »

shevitz wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:47 am I guess these are becoming the new "it" knives. I've been waiting for a while to see when they were back in stock. I was surprised that there was stock today and was getting ready to pull the trigger but had some work to do. I came back a few minutes later and there was one left, which I picked up :) . How long did they last?
Congrats! I grabbed one the other day. Excited to give it a try. For the price they seem like a steal!
old onion

Post by old onion »

shevitz wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:47 am I guess these are becoming the new "it" knives. I've been waiting for a while to see when they were back in stock. I was surprised that there was stock today and was getting ready to pull the trigger but had some work to do. I came back a few minutes later and there was one left, which I picked up :) . How long did they last?
Man, am I ever glad you grabbed that.Now I don't have to worry about it. :D
slobound

Post by slobound »

I'm looking forward to trying one of these. They seem like such a great deal at their price point!
-- Garrick
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I wouldn't call the Makoto the new "it" knife simply because it is a good knife. It's so talked about because of the eye-popping price-to-quality ratio. The best deal I've seen on CKTG in two and a half years.

The new owners are fortunate that Makoto was trying to build his brand. These knives are good enough to sell in the $200-plus range.
Jeffry B
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

From pictures alone grind / profile handle these look to be in the 250 range.
shevitz

Post by shevitz »

I'm hoping it lives up to expectations. I can't wait to get mine.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

shevitz wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:26 pm I'm hoping it lives up to expectations. I can't wait to get mine.
I have a 240 Damascus Makoto, I think it lives up to the hype.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I'll try and stock up. I was told not to overwhelm him with orders until he stops working for Kato-San but that's happening next month. Once that happens I'm going to fill his order book.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Really looking forward to what he produces in the next year or so!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
wphill

Post by wphill »

I’ve been abstaining from time allocated to being "on line." There are other life demands. But, Makoto blew me away from the start and while back lurking it pleases me to see him get his due of praise. How many other knives have such a tall grind? Not intended as a rhetorical question. Really curious. When I was hot to get a Takeda knife his earliest ones were reported as having a tall grind and that it was this element that wowed the user. Overtime, as the story goes, he dramatically lowered the grind due to chipping. Back to Makoto...I use his gyuto frequently. No chipping. His grind strikes me as his signature. Will the brothers be teaming up? Not just me wondering. Another forum member initiated the query.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

I don't believe he's going to be working with Yu. I think he's doing his own business. I'll know for sure what their arrangement is when I talk with them in person in May.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
marcel2006

Post by marcel2006 »

I got one too last week, I pull the trigger really fast. Man I'm so happy with this knife. Much better than my tanaka damascus.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I got lucky, bought the 240 and the Santuko. I’m new to Japanese Chef knives, watched one of Steve’s quick view videos and pulled the trigger. Very nice knives, even to a noob.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

marcel2006 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:03 pm I got one too last week, I pull the trigger really fast. Man I'm so happy with this knife. Much better than my tanaka damascus.
That is a bold, bold statement! Dude, now I haven't got a choice but to try one.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Kit Craft wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:50 pm
marcel2006 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:03 pm I got one too last week, I pull the trigger really fast. Man I'm so happy with this knife. Much better than my tanaka damascus.
That is a bold, bold statement! Dude, now I haven't got a choice but to try one.
Dems fightin words.... not to me, but I think someone may chime in on this one.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I could easily see Makoto in 30 years, even sooner, being talked about in the same manner as some of the best makers of today.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Jeff B wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:58 pm I could easily see Makoto in 30 years, even sooner, being talked about in the same manner as some of the best makers of today.
I've not used one but that does not surprise me by all of the praise he gets.
scopi

Post by scopi »

I missed getting the HG a couple of times so grabbed the damascus version for $99. Excellent knife ! I will likely grab the HG anyway and possibly rehandle this one or maybe pass it on to my sister who uses it every chance she gets.