Scallops

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
jbart65

Scallops

Post by jbart65 »

Even though I grew up New England and ate scallops all the time growing up, it’s only recently that I truly figured out how to cook them. Perhaps it’s because I don’t buy or cook them much. Dry sea scallops aren’t cheap!

This time I salted lightly and air dried in the fridge for a few hours. Salt and pepper again. Sear at high heat in cast iron. Use my new Thermopen - 125 degrees and out of the pan they come.

Best scallops I’ve made yet. Nice crust but meltingly tender inside. Had to read a bunch of articles, including Serious Eats to figure it out.

My only problem: Where to put the light orange-ginger glaze-sauce. I did one plate with the sauce on top, the other with the sauce on the side. I should have figured sauce on top would soften the crust. Duh. I should have drizzled on the plate.

All my what's cookin threads are aimed at home cooks, but any tips from the pros on cooking scallops would be welcome.

Tools used:

Teruyasu Fujiwara 240 gyuto
Messermeister Stealth Oliva Elite
Thermopen Classic

Seared Scallops with orange-ginger glaze
Served on parsnip puree

Jeffry B
Jeff B

Re: Scallops

Post by Jeff B »

Looks great Jeffry and thanks for the tips. My wife and mother LOVE scallops. Been a long time since a made them, might be a nice surprise soon using your tips!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

I too live scallops but being in Utah hard to get anything not frozen. Suggestions if using frozen? Thaw and then air dry in fridge?

Those are some great looking scallops 🤔😊
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Ron, if they are high quality frozen scallops - meaning no sodium tripolyphosphate - just defrost in the fridge (covered) and then air dry a bit before cooking. Or just wipe them between paper towels. Weeping is the worst thing.

Got a Whole Foods near you? They might have fresh scallops.

Next time I plan to put equal amounts butter and oil in the pan. heat oil first, drop in butter and lay down scallops before butter starts to burn.
Jeffry B
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Off to check Whole Foods :)

Like the idea with the butter.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Off to check Whole Foods :)

Like the idea with the butter.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

For scallops use oil..
when you FLIP them over for the cook, add the butter.

Tips
Make sure they're dry, gently press them with paper towels, then season and straight into the pan.
I like to make a brown butter caper sauce in the pan for them.

If I don't do that then they go on to a plate with some sauce verte (think french chimmi churi)
Topped with micros and lemon.

Let me dig up a picture.

I suck at embedding, deal with it.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

Nick's advice regarding when to add butter is good almost across the board. I can't think of exceptions off hand, though I am sure they exist. When sauteing I add butter at the end, only to finish. I know many people do oil/butter mixes, often to good effect, but I don't find them as easy to control as adding the fats at different times. If I want to start with butter, I will use clarified butter.

I like skipping butter on scallops. The butter does help with great color, but it isn't strictly necessary and it can be nice to go with clean flavors. A sharp pepper coulis, gremolata, or a citrus soy works well in addition to chimichurri and the like. If you want more color you can use a little paprika or a full on blackening spice.

I like to oil my scallops instead of the pan. A light oil dressing is all a scallop needs to ensure it gets good heat transfer. Not enough, the scallop burns, too much and the oil transfers heat too evenly to get those little dark speckles. This may be more help with large volumes, but I do it with small volumes these days, too. With butter to finish I don't think it would matter too much since milk soilds brown so well.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Dam those are some good looking scallops!

What Jeffrey says about sodium tripolyphosphate (STP) is the difference between "Wet" and "Dry" scallops. Turns out Costco has both shrimp and scallops (frozen of course) without STP. Most supermarket stuff has STP. The dry stuff is SO much better.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've messed around with butter at the start, middle and end of cooking, but yeah, I've found that toward the end is better, especially if I am using high heat. I just seem to think butter creates either a different texture or flavor on the crust. Perhaps I imagine it.

Clarified butter sounds like a good idea, but I don't like makng it, and I find that ghee has a distinctive odor even though it's supposed to be just clarified butter.

I'll try just oiling the scallops next time. I've done that with proteins to goo effect before, but I wondered if it was inhibiting crust formation since the food technically was not "dry."

Hey, Nick, try the Imgur upload tool. Very easy to embed.

Click on link, browse or add photo, then hover the mouse over the imported photo in the top right till you see a pop up thingie that shows "copy" and a down arrow. Click on the down arrow, click "get shared links" and copy the one for BBC Code Forums. Paste into your CKTG thread and done. Easier way to get your classified photos online.
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

To follow up what Bob says for we home cooks, STP adds weight to seafood and makes it more watery. So you end up paying more (in weight) for lower quality. I don't buy any shellfish with STP. It's especially important to avoid in scallops.
Jeffry B
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Good thread, I see scallops in my future!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Thanks for the inspiration Jeffry.
Scallops tonight!
gladius

Post by gladius »

I've had scallops twice since I saw the photo post!
Jeff540

Post by Jeff540 »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 pm Next time I plan to put equal amounts butter and oil in the pan. heat oil first, drop in butter and lay down scallops before butter starts to burn.
Yes. That's my prefered method, usually in a stainless or carbon steel pan. A little salt and pepper before cooking, perfect and very "clean."
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Cast iron
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Agreed, cast iron all the way.
J david

Post by J david »

Cast iron is preferred but anything will do in a pinch. A friend brought scallops to a cookout and all I had to cook them on was a teflon egg pan. Still tasted great.

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

jbart65 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 pm Ron, if they are high quality frozen scallops - meaning no sodium tripolyphosphate - just defrost in the fridge (covered) and then air dry a bit before cooking. Or just wipe them between paper towels. Weeping is the worst thing.

Got a Whole Foods near you? They might have fresh scallops.

Next time I plan to put equal amounts butter and oil in the pan. heat oil first, drop in butter and lay down scallops before butter starts to burn.
Jeffry.
Unfortunately I only have a bag of Costco wild frozen scallops to work with.
What are your defrosting suggestions?
I know the purists would tell me to not bother and feed them to the chickens ;)
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Take out how many you need and defrost in the fridge overnight, Ray. No good comes from fast defrosting under cold water. Put in a metal tray covered with plastic wrap to speed up defrosting. Metal is better than plastic. Keeps the scallops cold but helps defrost quicker.
Jeffry B