KS initial impressions

Kit Craft

Re: KS initial impressions

Post by Kit Craft »

I have not tried a BBS but they are fairly cheap so I should get one! Thanks for the suggestion. Heh, if I buy every stone you suggest I will be even deeper in the pile than I am now. :D
gladius

Post by gladius »

Can you have enough stones?
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

gladius wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:22 pm Can you have enough stones?
At this point I am going to have to say no, you can't. Or at least I can't. Focused on knives at the moment though. Really contemplating a honyaki for my birthday...
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

I agree on the patina, quite slow to develop. My other (much cheaper) w2 knife doesn't last two sessions.
I take it to 6k on shapton glass and then just leather strop, I find edge of 2k a little rough and since I do more veggies, it helps to have a finer edge.
Out of curiosity, what angle roughly do you sharpen yours to? I think I keep mine at around 15ish, but I heard people go much lower ... wonder if it can really take it.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Barashka wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:50 pm I agree on the patina, quite slow to develop. My other (much cheaper) w2 knife doesn't last two sessions.
I take it to 6k on shapton glass and then just leather strop, I find edge of 2k a little rough and since I do more veggies, it helps to have a finer edge.
Out of curiosity, what angle roughly do you sharpen yours to? I think I keep mine at around 15ish, but I heard people go much lower ... wonder if it can really take it.
Eh, probably about 12ish on the right face and 15ish on the right. There is a small amount of asymmetry going on. I didn't notice it at first until I opened up the bevels and it just seemed to naturally be there.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Kit Craft wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:07 pm I have not tried a BBS but they are fairly cheap so I should get one! Thanks for the suggestion. Heh, if I buy every stone you suggest I will be even deeper in the pile than I am now. :D
---
Yeah but they are good stones. I'm glad you are liking the SS 5k, a super stone indeed.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

gladius wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:59 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:07 pm I have not tried a BBS but they are fairly cheap so I should get one! Thanks for the suggestion. Heh, if I buy every stone you suggest I will be even deeper in the pile than I am now. :D
---
Yeah but they are good stones. I'm glad you are liking the SS 5k, a super stone indeed.
Yeah, they are OOS so I think I got the last one. :P I am sure there will be more though. Loving it so far. I really do need to pick up a BBS though!
gladius

Post by gladius »

Kit Craft wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:14 pm I really do need to pick up a BBS though!
---
A forehead smack will soon follow as you ask yourself why it took you so long to get a BB/Coticule bout.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

gladius wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:22 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:14 pm I really do need to pick up a BBS though!
---
A forehead smack will soon follow as you ask yourself why it took you so long to get a BB/Coticule bout.
Hah, okay! Can get them easily enough too...