What do you think of the InstaPot?

Share your culinary creations, recipes, food knowledge, restaurant recommendations, etc.
Kit Craft

Re: What do you think of the InstaPot?

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:58 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:31 am But these are people who don't much care for cooking, fwiw.
I hear this comment a lot, nothing could be further from the truth. If I did not care about cooking I would be buying takeout and feeding my kids Subway leading them to obesity like the rest of America. The reality is, this is a great tool for busy people. Lets face it, many of us work at least 50 hours and many more than 60 hours. It does not produce exquisite meals, phenomenally soft meats, or slow simmmered dished...it does not really excell at any one thing. It makes okay meat, pretty good soups, above average carbs etc However, where the instapot really excels is it allows me to do is provide a pretty good and healthy meal to my 3 kids in a reasonable amount of time. It allows me to get all my ingredients ready in the am and put them in when I get home from work, press a button and help kids with homework, reading, practice. Set a timer for food to be done when I get back from taking the kids to swimming and provides easy clean up for after I get the kids to bed. I love to cook, I did it professionally for almost 20 years, but right now I have to prioritize time, for those people who still care about cooking and providing a healthy meal to their kids this is a life saver. If you have time to spend an hour sipping red wine while you dice one onion with your freshly sharpened knife then this is likely not for you.

I don't use it every day, but man, is it a champ when I do.
I did not mean to come across that way. It was a disclaimer that the opinion was not my own but coming from someone, who I know does not care for cooking.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

RickR wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:46 pm I've had an Instant Pot for over a year, and it can't be beat for cooking beans and grains. I use it two or three times a week. Before I bought one, I owned what other posters have called a "proper pressure cooker" that was a PITA to use and didn't do anything better than the Instant Pot. If you are interested in wasting time nursemaiding a "proper pressure cooker", then by all means buy one. On the other hand, if you just want something that does the job, get an Instant Pot.
Very big indorsement for me, Rick knows his shit! I 86'ed the pressure cooker years ago.
My brother-in-law is an excellent cook for a home cook and got an Insta-Pot for Christmas. I've been closely monitoring his feelings about it gauging if I need to get one. I love my rice cooker but it would be nice to have a cooker similar in size but with a lot more versatility.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Of course we have all read this article...

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why ... okers.html
RickR

Post by RickR »

I have the six quart model without any bells and whistles. Beans take a little more than an hour to cook, start to finish. That includes the time to come to pressure and the time to cool down (natural pressure release). The beans are as good as any I made simmering for half a day on the stovetop. Actually a little better since none are broken by stirring.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

gladius wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:58 pm Of course we have all read this article...

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why ... okers.html
That's the one I was referring to. Thanks mate!
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Jeffry, to answer your question bean cookery really depends on variety and whether or not you soak them first or not. While a pressure cooker allows you to go from unsoaked to cooked within an hour (which is pretty amazing when you think about the saved number of hours), I find I get better, more consistent and properly seasoned results by soaking so I continue to do that. You can cook beans on a whim, but I think your results will vary more than if you soak them.

Anyway, soaked beans can take anywhere from 10-12 to 20-25 minutes.

What the pressure cooker does do is make bean cookery an option on a weeknight (at least for me). Similarly, as Matt described above, it allows you to cook some things that would be attention hogs and put together a more elaborate meal than you otherwise would in a given amount of time (risotto immediately comes to mind). I know your kids are out of the house now Jeffry, so balancing a weeknight meal fora hungry family on a time budget may be less of a concern than it once was. But think of it as freeing up some hands for you to focus on other things (cooking or otherwise).

I do not think my non-electric pressure cooker requires any nursemaiding. I suppose I could make a lot of minute adjustments to the heat if it is venting too much, but I tend to adjust it maybe once or twice at most during a cook. I err on the side of heat that's a little too high and it will vent as needed. You will NOT lose too much moisture so don't worry about that. If anything, I find most pressure cooker recipes call for too much liquid.

One thing Kenji notes in his article is that Instapots do not achieve quite as high a pressure level as the stovetop models. That means your cook time might be a bit longer than it would be otherwise. However, given the fact that so many of today's pressure cooker recipes are written FOR the instapot, this might be a moot point as you may have to adjust timing to adjust for any differences.

And just a reminder: it's still cooking so it's inexact. Just because you have a built-in timer, it doesn't mean the food is done in that amount of time. I get a mail order bean delivery (from Rancho Gordo) and they have a Facebook group where people have calculated pressure cooker cooking times for their various beans. These are bean geeks who have taken time to crowdsource cooking instructions. And guess what? They are still approximate. More than once, I've opened it up, found things need a bit more time and closed it up and cooked for a few more minutes. Sometimes more than once.

Just a reminder that the notion of precision doesn't really guarantee perfect results. To me, it just means you can walk away and forget about it and not have to remember to turn it off. I don't like doing that when cooking anything on the stove anyway, so that wasn't particularly important to me.

You won't go wrong either way. Pick the tool that fits your style and how you anticipate using it.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Thanks for the pointers, Mike. As usual I am paralyzed by over-analysis. Read Serious Eats, Wirecutter, Cooks Illustrated and other reviews of pressure cookers. Amazon comments. Start out thinking I just need a small 3-qt cooker for a small amount of beans. Next thing you know I am researching a 10-qt device so I can do stock or pork shoulder - even though my wife doesn't like pork shoulder!

With the kids out, I really don't need a big one that costs a lot. A 3 to 6 qt should be fine. I do soak beans, but it's easy to do that before I leave for work in the morn. I usually have a good idea if I will want beans. I just like to have them in small amounts for tacos, minnestrone and the like. Or for making hummus.

Speaking of Rancho Gordo, CI did a review of black and white beans. They found Rancho white beans were superior to others they tried, but black beans were just middling. Go figure.

I grow a few green beans every year that are also suitable for drying. Gonna have to leave some of the vine at season end and make sure to pick em.
Jeffry B
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:37 pm Thanks for the pointers, Mike. As usual I am paralyzed by over-analysis. Read Serious Eats, Wirecutter, Cooks Illustrated and other reviews of pressure cookers. Amazon comments. Start out thinking I just need a small 3-qt cooker for a small amount of beans. Next thing you know I am researching a 10-qt device so I can do stock or pork shoulder - even though my wife doesn't like pork shoulder!

With the kids out, I really don't need a big one that costs a lot. A 3 to 6 qt should be fine. I do soak beans, but it's easy to do that before I leave for work in the morn. I usually have a good idea if I will want beans. I just like to have them in small amounts for tacos, minnestrone and the like. Or for making hummus.

Speaking of Rancho Gordo, CI did a review of black and white beans. They found Rancho white beans were superior to others they tried, but black beans were just middling. Go figure.

I grow a few green beans every year that are also suitable for drying. Gonna have to leave some of the vine at season end and make sure to pick em.
Glad I'm not the only one
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Insta Pot doesn't seal or pressurize as well as other electric models on the market.

For stove tops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCUKA7dDUs
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I haven't used or dealt with any of these. What, exactly, does it do that differentiates it from other pressure cookers? Is it the self-contained heating element?
RickR

Post by RickR »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:15 pm Insta Pot doesn't seal or pressurize as well as other electric models on the market.

For stove tops:
Links?

Mine seals just fine.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

It was in an episode of ATK
While it seals and pressurizes it doesn't do it as well as other models in the price range
RickR

Post by RickR »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:06 pm It was in an episode of ATK
While it seals and pressurizes it doesn't do it as well as other models in the price range
Ah, yes, the people who put sugar in southern style cornbread.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Hey!
They're from New England!
Like me!
lol
That aside they really go in depth with products
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

RickR wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:59 pm
Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:15 pm Insta Pot doesn't seal or pressurize as well as other electric models on the market.

For stove tops:
Links?

Mine seals just fine.
Read a ton of Amazon reviews on Instapot, Rick. Seems about 10% or so get one that has trouble sealing properly. Most are happy, but a small number are not. Almost all the negative reviews cite sealing or the unit just dying. Seems the company is still working out quality control for a product they never dreamed would become so popular.
Jeffry B
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Lepus wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:54 pm I haven't used or dealt with any of these. What, exactly, does it do that differentiates it from other pressure cookers? Is it the self-contained heating element?
The electric ones like Instapot essentially take out all the guesswork from pressure cookers. Electronic keypads, automatic pressure control. Basically set and forget.

They do not go as high as traditonal pressure cookers and take a bit longer to cook, but have a lot of bells and whistles and make it real easy for users.

It's the simplicity that attracts me. But really, all I want is something for beans.
Jeffry B
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

It could be a fun purchase.

I have played with both stovetop and electric pressure cookers and they are both good in their own ways. I should not say "play" because I have taught pressure cooking classes.

You have had lots of great advice. I'll just add a few little things.

First-you might not want to get a three quart pressure cooker.

First, the majority of the recipes are written for a 6 quart. It is pretty much the default size and, unless you are canning, you will find most recipes are written for this size.

Most important--a three quart pot does not mean you get three quart capacity. To create pressure, you need to fill to a minimum level. If you don't, no pressure. You also have a maximum fill line--usually around 3/4 of the way up the pot. You cannot, when pressure cooking, fill above that line.

The rules change for beans and things that tend to foam. The fill line is lower. If you buy a 3 quart pot, the fill line for beans might be just a little over halfway up the inside. Three quart sizes are cute but limiting. Ribs? only if you like a couple of ribs. Really, the six quart size gives you tons more flexibility.

I have Fissler stovetop pressure cookers, and I adore the line. Kuhn Rikon is good. It is true that the stovetop models reach slightly higher pressures than electrics, but the need to lengthen times with electric models only tends to happen with the longest recipes. I would not worry. The real convenience comes from not having to fiddle with the heat on your stove. I find I am constantly watching the stovetop models and lowering and raising the heat as the pressure indicator shifts. Takes attention, and your presence in the kitchen. With a 40 minute rib recipe, you notice! With electrics, it is more set-and-forget.

I have favorite things to make in the pressure cooker. Beans, yes. My favorite by far are stocks. Chicken, turkey, anything. The flavor is intense, as the greater heat/pressure extract more flavor from everything. Rice...

I know you have done tons of research, but google "NYT Instant Pot articles" and you will find a treasure trove of information. The best for starters is a piece called "How to Use Your Instant Pot." But there are tons more.

Good luck. Each type of cookware has its place, and each works for something different. You can love to cook and still love the Instant Pot, for what it is and does.
Last edited by LaVieestBelle on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Nmiller21k wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:56 pm Hey!
They're from New England!
Like me!
lol
That aside they really go in depth with products
What part are you from?
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Thanks, LaVieestBelle.

I know the three quarts don't do much, but I usually cook beans in no more than 1 cup (dried) amounts. Also got a fuzzy logic rice cooker that that takes care of that. Does oats well too.

If I were to make stock in them, then I'd be thinking 8 qts instead of 6.

The Fissler and Rikon are what I have been looking at, but I don't really want to have to fiddle with the heat. Wish they'd come up with a way to eliminate that.

Sounds like I should get an electric. Now to figure out what model ...
Jeffry B
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

There are some nice choices out there.

You have the Instant Pot, of course.

Wirecutter used to recommend the Breville Fast Slow Pro as the "upgrade" option. Just noticed they replaced it with another Instant Pot. The Breville is pretty good and consistent. The only thing to consider, aside from price, is the interior coating for the pot. The Instant Pot is stainless (though they now make a ceramic nonstick accessory insert). The Breville is a true nonstick. I am actually attracted to the stainless version offered by the Instant Pot. The Breville would be my other choice for an electric.

Now size... For stock, I use a six quart when working with the remains of a roasted chicken. I go up to my 8 quart Fissler only when doing turkey. Normally the 6 quart is fine. The result is fairly rich and concentrated and you might even find you can dilute it a bit.

If you find you love pressure cooking, you could easily wind up with a wardrobe of different types and sizes. I did. For now, generally the 6 quart sizes are a nice place to start. Not perfect for everything but a good place to start.

Good luck with the decisions.