Worst Knife Purchase/Sale Decisions

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ChipB

Worst Knife Purchase/Sale Decisions

Post by ChipB »

One of the most enjoyable aspects of kitchen knife collecting/appreciation is the myriad learning opportunities the pursuit provides. Inevitably, during that learning process, some bad decisions are made that we would like to take back. Anyway, thought it might be fun, if not instructive, to see what forum members regret most as it relates to purchases and sales. Here are mine:

Worst Sale
Knife: Konosuke Fujiyama W1 Damascus 240mm Gyuto
Date Purchased: Mid-2014
Price Paid: Not sure, but somewhere b/w $350 - $400 for the blade. Custom bog oak handle w/honey horn ferrule commissioned separately.
Price Sold: Less than what I paid by a wide margin

Based on the above information, I doubt I need to explain why the sale of this knife, for a lover of Kono Fuji blades, was the worst I've made. Why did I do it? I honestly can't remember, but no explanation could justify this head-scratcher especially as I was already enamored with Fujis at that point. Only takeaway is, unless you really, really need the cash (which I didn't), don't sell knives you love.

Worst Trade
Knife: Masakage Shimo 220mm Gyuto
Date Purchased: Early 2014
Price Paid: ~$250
Knife Received: Moritaka AS 250mm Gyuto

I loved the Shimo, but as it was early on in my knife collecting days, and before pass-arounds were common, I wanted to broaden my palate. Big mistake. At this point, I had a good number of high end knives as well as some top-shelf daily performance machines (Kikuichi TKC, Shigefusa, Akifusa SRS, Kato etc.). I did not like the Moritaka any more than the forum member who traded it and ended up selling it for about $150 I think. This is a great example of what can happen when limited experience, combined with ownership of exceptional knives, can result in a very bad decision. While the Shimo is existentially different from a TKC or SRS, and isn't of the same order as a Shig or Kato, it is still a fantastic knife and one I would rather own over many knives it does compete with more directly.
Kit Craft

Re: Worst Knife Purchase/Sale Decisions

Post by Kit Craft »

For me it was my Masakage Koishi. Mine, like my Yuki, was not what others had described and did not match pictures nor specs either. It was thick in the midsection as is my Yuki but it was much more dramatic. I wish I would have done comparison shots but it was very early on. I guess I had bad luck because others seem to love theirs!

I didn't care for my Moritaka either.

I have not let anything go that I wish I hadn't.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

I bought an hd2 thinking that I could sell it for full price after I gave it a spin. This was at the 299$ mark. Then I tried to sell it. No one was interested, so I had to eat more than I wanted to. This must have Ben right around when the decline of hd sales started. Right after that, the next batch was selling at 319$ and I was thinking shit, I should have just waited a couple days then sold it and gotten full price! This was also after several occasions when I could have bought it at the $268 mark. Should have bought it then. Could have used it for a year and still made money on the sale
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

My worst purchase was a Shig 240mm hands down. The knife is the epitome of hand-forge/finished craftsmanship. The knife's grind and performance profile is absolutely incongruous with my own preferences and I should never have bought the thing. Love my Suji by the maker, but I'm also not doing much vertical cutting with it. Yet again, lacking experience, I bought a thing based on reputation, and while it's an apex blade in every respect, it was not, and will never be, one that was right for me.
gladius

Post by gladius »

ChipB wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 pm
Worst Sale
Price Paid: Not sure, but somewhere b/w $350 - $400 for the blade. Custom bog oak handle w/honey horn ferrule commissioned separately.

Based on the above information, I doubt I need to explain why the sale of this knife, for a lover of Kono Fuji blades, was the worst I've made. Why did I do it? I honestly can't remember, but no explanation could justify this head-scratcher especially as I was already enamored with Fujis at that point. Only takeaway is, unless you really, really need the cash (which I didn't), don't sell knives you love.
---
Think I remember that Chip...recollect it was a night associated with alcohol - or maybe that was another you may have withdrawn??
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

gladius wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:31 pm
ChipB wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:30 pm
Worst Sale

---
Think I remember that Chip...recollect it was a night associated with alcohol - or maybe that was another you may have withdrawn??
Think you are spot on gladius ;) Looked at the old forum, and I did sell the Shig and Kono. Withdrew the Kato (thank god). Don't mind letting go of the Shig, but the Kono was a big mistake
gladius

Post by gladius »

ChipB wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:34 pm Think you are spot on gladius ;) Looked at the old forum, and I did sell the Shig and Kono. Withdrew the Kato (thank god). Don't mind letting go of the Shig, but the Kono was a big mistake
----
I don't think you will have a hard time selling the Shigefusa - I love my 240!
gladius

Post by gladius »

On second thought, keep it and just use it exclusively for a few weeks before you make another regretful decision.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

^^It was sold at the time of the drunken WTS thread (very good memory as it was one amongst many) you mentiond. Great knife and one I admire very much, just never resonated with me. The kato 210 stayed in the block.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

gladius wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:41 pm On second thought, keep it and just use it exclusively for a few weeks before you make another regretful decision.
I've got no plans to sell anything anytime soon. But hey, I'm prone to getting sloshed and selling nice knives, so keep your eye on the classifieds
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

gladius wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:41 pm On second thought, keep it and just use it exclusively for a few weeks before you make another regretful decision.
But thank you gladius. Not sure what I would do without your sage guidance on all things knives.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Great topic idea. Really tough for me to process, though!

I bought an early Kono Blue #1 from Mark and returned it because it had one of his handles that just didn't resonate with me. I think I've regretted that ever since, even after getting my hands on one of the "recent" Blue #1 gyutos with the classic ebony handles. I am confident the more recent one is the superior knife, but the other one was a great buy and a great knife in its own way...and also showed up years in advance.

I think I also regret not getting my hands on a certain W#2 Konosuke honyaki, but I think that turned out fair and square and probably for the best. :)

Things I haven't regretted: buying, trying, and selling a Takeda and - for now - buying and customizing a T-F with the idea that I would probably end up selling it. Both really rewarding experiences. It is easy for me to admit that some knives that I've tried and sold actually rank pretty high in terms of my hobby enjoyment scale. Just because it wasn't "right" doesn't mean I didn't really enjoy the process of trying it out. In that respect, every single pass-around I've done has been really amazing. All great knives, and in every case but one, all MAJOR saving graces that kept me from buying something that really would NOT have resonated with me in the long term.

Oddly enough, my Richmond AS laser has been regrettable in some ways: a really lusted over that knife for a year or more (rarely in stock), but I have only very rarely used it. Just not a good fit. I did learn that it was because I don't really like Japanese handles for petty knives, AND that I much prefer 120mm petty knives. But still, I think I regret that one given how little I have used it and how difficult it seems to sell.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
ChipB

Post by ChipB »

salemj wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:32 am
I think I also regret not getting my hands on a certain W#2 Konosuke honyaki, but I think that turned out fair and square and probably for the best. :)
Funny you mention that Joe as that knife is a runner up in worst purchases for me and I drafted a few hundred words on the subject. Ultimately, and as some of the above posts confirm, any kind of analysis would simply get lost in translation. Despite the fact it very well may be the nicest knife in my block, any nuance beyond subject header would be lost amongst the predictable automaton response
hawkoath

Post by hawkoath »

Quite a few. Before I knew too much about what I wanted I bought knives unseen that were much heavier than what my body build needed and what suited how I cook and what ingredients I used. My main chef knives ended up being 210mm or above when what I really needed was a lighter 180mm or below knife. Some of these heavy knives include:

Kuma 8" Chef Knife
Tanaka 240mm Yanagiba
Zwilling Bob Kramer Damascus 8"
Zwilling Bob Kramer Damascus 9"
among others. Now I'm much more careful and do a lot more research. :(
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

My worst purchase decision was a knife that I did not buy. Early last year, Mark found a few Kato 240 standards and he started a thread to let us know that he would be putting them up on the site. I popped in to check the page, and it was unavailable. For the heck of it, I immediately hit F5 and boom....they were in stock. I quickly added it to my cart and inputted all of my information. My finger hovered over the "complete purchase" button for a second. I was still a JK neophyte and had just recently received my first knife, a Koishi 240. I thought to myself, "Do I really need another 240 gyuto made by Kato?" :facepalm:

I was eventually able to get my hands on a 210 standard that Mark put on the site a few months later, but I still kick myself for thinking that it was the same Kato. Sure, my newness to JKs and lack of knowledge can be used as a valid excuse, but that still doesn't stop me from beating myself up over it.
--- Steve
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Been there too Steve. But my issue is simply being too slow...by seconds. Sucks but it happens. Not with a Kato but a few stones back in the day.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Nothing I regret. I did buy one knife that turned out to be a lemon. Degraded steel that chipped anytime it was sharpened. It was a one-off so I don't want to hurt the rep of the knife line. CKTG took it back no problem.

The knife itself was quite good, especially for the price. Nice looks, good profile and a bit forward weighted.
Jeffry B
keithmarder

Post by keithmarder »

This is one of the most interesting threads on the site.
J david

Post by J david »

I don't regret any knife I've purchased, I learned something from all of them. My worst sale decision will be the next one. I really like everything I have right now.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

J david wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:48 pm I don't regret any knife I've purchased, I learned something from all of them. My worst sale decision will be the next one. I really like everything I have right now.
Yeah, that is a good point. Even knives that I don't love are good purchases in a way. You learn what you like!