Whats on the bench!!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
HHH Knives

Re: Whats on the bench!!

Post by HHH Knives »

Willison_Knives wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 am
HHH Knives wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:27 am These paring blades ore still on the bench. They are a side project. and oas I have time I will be getting handles on them and sharing photos. :) Thanks guys for your interest.

The process to color them like this is done with Blueing salts. Similar to how a gun barrel was blued.. Niterblue is the salts I used on these. That combined with damascus made using O1, L6 and nickel..
very cool! i sorta thought about how it was done but just didn't really have any idea where to start. now that you say that it makes sense. just have to start making some damascus i guess! one day. Thanks for the info

You dont have to go down the "damascus" rabbit hole to get started. I do make and sell damascus to many makers. and craftsmen and women around the globe. :D I would be happy to make you some.
HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit!

God is GOOD, ALL the time!!!
Randy Haas
http://hhhcustomknives.com
STPepper9

Post by STPepper9 »

I don't know what the runner-up handle materials were, but I think you got it right.
Willison_Knives

Post by Willison_Knives »

HHH Knives wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:46 am
Willison_Knives wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 am
HHH Knives wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:27 am These paring blades ore still on the bench. They are a side project. and oas I have time I will be getting handles on them and sharing photos. :) Thanks guys for your interest.

The process to color them like this is done with Blueing salts. Similar to how a gun barrel was blued.. Niterblue is the salts I used on these. That combined with damascus made using O1, L6 and nickel..
very cool! i sorta thought about how it was done but just didn't really have any idea where to start. now that you say that it makes sense. just have to start making some damascus i guess! one day. Thanks for the info

You dont have to go down the "damascus" rabbit hole to get started. I do make and sell damascus to many makers. and craftsmen and women around the globe. :D I would be happy to make you some.
well, ill let you know for sure! im real picky with damascus, and yours looks awesome!
might be a bit though. gotta get my forging process down first:) thanks for the offer. how much does damascus usually run? say, 2x1/4x10 or so
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Im VERY picky about damascus. That is why we make it our self.

Here are the 4 I am workin on this week.
IMG_1903 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1902 (800x533).jpg
IMG_1898 (800x534).jpg
IMG_1897 (800x533).jpg
HHH Knives, Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth & Guided by the spirit!

Randy Haas
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

[/quote]

well, ill let you know for sure! im real picky with damascus, and yours looks awesome!
might be a bit though. gotta get my forging process down first:) thanks for the offer. how much does damascus usually run? say, 2x1/4x10 or so
[/quote]

Message me with your specs and pattern choice. and I will send over a quote ASAP

Randy Haas
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I have seen a lot of Randy's work and have to say that he and his son make some of the most awesome Damascus patterns I have seen. Many great Damascus knives I have seen from other top custom makers I learned used billets from Randy.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Willison_Knives

Post by Willison_Knives »

HHH Knives wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:18 am Im VERY picky about damascus. That is why we make it our self.

Here are the 4 I am workin on this week.

IMG_1903 (800x533).jpgIMG_1902 (800x533).jpgIMG_1898 (800x534).jpgIMG_1897 (800x533).jpg
that is some really nice damascus!!
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Thanks Jeffd.

Yes. I quick note about this.
HHH Knives is about 13 years in the makings.. Approx. 7.5 years ago, My oldest son Randy Jr. at age 19 joined me in the shop. Like most 19 year old's. The kid knew everything. You know what I mean.. But what he didn't know was how to make damascus. :) So the journey begins.

We started out very humbly and fumbled through a HUGE learning curve, of proper tools. and materials. and techniques. and along the way have been helped by the greats in the industry. Many wonderful people ate knife makers. and most will take time out of there day to talk to a guy and help guide em a bit.. But for the most part. it was a trial by fire for the lad. FOR REAL!

Randy had a natural God given gift as well as determination and desire.. That has allowed him to quickly learn and even excel at forging damascus. Fast forward a couple years and we started selling damascus billets to anyone who would buy em. Randy Jr. developed some patterns I had never seen made B4 so we gave then unique names and continued making em. Although we quickly realized. that everythging had already been done in one way or another and we were not nessarily breaking new ground.. Yet to us.. every success or falure, sure felt like it!!

Over the years, The business has grown and we current make and sell damascus as a raw product world wide , and as Jeff said. Much is sold to amazing knife makers, watch makers, jewelry and pen makers. and other craftsman and women. Hard work and Gods Blessings and we have built the HOT side of HHH Knives into a force!! :D We are still a small shop. Father and son. and occasionally a little help from my youngest son Hunter.

I could not be any prouder of Randy Jr. and his dedication and desire and drive to make the highest quality steel possible. Hes a honest young man. (brutally honest most days) I am blessed to be able to have my boy workin with me, and more so that I have been able to watch him become a man, a husband, and soon to be a father. :D

God willing, we will be here workin and making steel and knives long into the future. and lovin life. Livin the dream..
Blessings
Randy

Randy Haas
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Randy, how long does it take you to do the file work on the spine? I love the way that looks.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Randy.
Thank you for the back story.
You are both artists of the highest order. Like Mark, I am amazed by your spine work...along with the incredible ferrules.
We are very fortunate to be able to see and hopefully own such beautifully crafted pieces of functional art.
Aloha!
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:45 am Randy, how long does it take you to do the file work on the spine? I love the way that looks.
Mark. The process takes the better part of, if not one full day. work. Some patterns take longer and some less time.

Thank ya for askin and for the complement.

Randy Haas
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Aloha, Thank you sir for the kudos and nice complement. I see your quite a artist in you own right. :) Very impressive work.

I too love file work. And when down right. I know it adds to a knife. However. I have seen and probably even guilty myself a time or two. Where to much is just too just .. To much!!! lol

I look forward to working with ya on a project.

Blessings
Randy

Randy Haas
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

You have an amazing website and work!
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Thank ya Bensbites

Randy Haas
ckreef

Post by ckreef »

Stunning - sort of takes your breath away.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Hard to believe Randy Jr. has been working with you for 7.5 years already, and congratulations on the coming grandchild!

It's a great knife life it seems!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:43 pm Hard to believe Randy Jr. has been working with you for 7.5 years already, and congratulations on the coming grandchild!

It's a great knife life it seems!
Thanks Jeff. Time flys when your having fun!!

We are all excited about the news and looking forward to this blessing! Its a KNIFE LIFE!! :D

Randy Haas
HHH Knives

Post by HHH Knives »

Its going to be a FUN, rest of the week as I finish off some of these ongoing blades.

NEW san mai Jr made. Its still Blue#2 core. and stainless. Just a few more layers of each to enjoy!! Did I mention I plan to use these amazing Giraffe bone handles and the bolster is SUPERCONDUCTOR?? OK. so yea. The whole thing and every material used is NEW to me.

The paring blades. I have fitted the mokume front caps and will start handle work ASAP

Last but not least.. The new style utility. Its a blade profile and handle profile change. Both subtle yet effective and with intent! Stay tuned for more info on these. I just may be offing a pre buy on them at some point in the future.

As always. Thanks for checkin out my posts and reading my ramblings of a knife maker!
Blessings
Randy
IMG_2057 (683x1024).jpg
IMG_2056 (1024x683).jpg
IMG_2055 (1024x683).jpg
IMG_2053 (1024x683).jpg
IMG_2048 (1024x683).jpg
IMG_2047 (1024x683).jpg
IMG_2046 (1024x683).jpg
Attachments
IMG_2051 (1024x683).jpg

Randy Haas
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Dang!!
jason

Post by jason »

Absolutely stunning. Always a pleasure to see your work