Bone cleaver rehab

J david

Bone cleaver rehab

Post by J david »

I received an old bone cleaver for Christmas and decided to spruce it up a bit. It had a terrible profile from years of bad sharpening and an ugly oversized handle. I wanted to make sure it was worth the effort so I chopped a 4×4 in half twice. It showed no damage and was still pretty sharp so I decided to give it a go. I thought you guys might be interested.

I ditched the handle, re-profiled the edge and ground it 90%.

Glass bead blast and refinishing.

Finished up the grind.

Now all it needs is sharpening and a new handle.

@bensbites, you interested in giving it some new shoes?
Bensbites

Re: Bone cleaver rehab

Post by Bensbites »

I love the photo tutorial, I am inspired to “try” and extended soak on a couple blades blades/steels to see what happens.

I am not setup to work this handle with my current tools. While I would love the challenge, I don’t want to go after this in manual mode.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Excuse my ignorance but what did you soak that in to get that finish?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:02 am Excuse my ignorance but what did you soak that in to get that finish?
+1. Looks spectacular!
--- Steve
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Well done! It looks fantastic.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
J david

Post by J david »

Thanks for the complements.
Jeff B wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:02 am Excuse my ignorance but what did you soak that in to get that finish?
Phosphoric acid and nickel nitrate at a boil. It is a parkerizing process. I've offered to refinish KU for people but nobody has taken me up on it. It's way more durable than what comes on most knives and almost impossible to tell the difference.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

J david wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:05 am Thanks for the complements.
Phosphoric acid and nickel nitrate at a boil. It is a parkerizing process. I've offered to refinish KU for people but nobody has taken me up on it. It's way more durable than what comes on most knives and almost impossible to tell the difference.
As a former chemist/lab rat I know I can order that stuff from suppliers. Where did you get it?
J david

Post by J david »

I get it direct from Coral Chemical Company under the label MANG PHOS 10. I think 10 gallons is the minimum order and it is not cheap.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

J david wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:48 am I get it direct from Coral Chemical Company under the label MANG PHOS 10. I think 10 gallons is the minimum order and it is not cheap.
I have a friend who wanted to try his hand at yo to wa conversations. I have done them for personal use, but my metalwork is not that refined. When I get back the 52100 210 gyuto, I may give it a long acid soak to bring out the dark patina. I might try something with an AEB-L cleaver as well. I love the looks of my makoto and CCK. The KU/steel contrast adds something.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Thanks and I'll remember you do that should I need your services!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Pure badass buddy!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

David.....that is brilliant!
And very inspirational. I have a cool coconut knife that would look rather good that way.
I can't remember where I saw it but I was recently made aware of the parkerize process.
I am pretty sure it was a post on the forum that sent me to a maker who uses does it to his knives.. Senior moment.
Organic

Post by Organic »

Wow, I hope you've got a fume hood! I see you've got the proper type of gloves. Make sure you're using goggles and a face shield as well. Stay safe!
Spipet

Post by Spipet »

Awesome work!!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Nice, I love working on these old things. I will throw a handle on it if you want. Been awhile since I have done one and I enjoy working on older things. I may have some scales big enough. Shoot me a PM if you want.
flomaster

Post by flomaster »

fantastic job. I can't want to see it with a handle on it

-=Jason=-
J david

Post by J david »

Kalaeb wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:44 am Nice, I love working on these old things. I will throw a handle on it if you want. Been awhile since I have done one and I enjoy working on older things. I may have some scales big enough. Shoot me a PM if you want.
I think I will take you up on this offer, Matt. Thanks.