New knives to add to my list?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Kit Craft

New knives to add to my list?

Post by Kit Craft »

Awhile back I made a thread on 'must have knives' which in turn became more of a 'must try' list. A list that is ever evolving as I myself change. But I have started to look at things from a new perspective. I enjoy 165mm knives such as santoku and funayuki as well as gyutos that range in size from 180-250+ mm and that is a big change from just a year ago. I have also learned that I am a collector even if in a more crude sense. Not a collector in the sense that I hang objects on a wall or put them in a display case but rather one that uses them as tools. A collector is a collector nonetheless. Something else that I have discovered is that I have a sense of appreciation for knives that are above all else viewed as and used as tools. Not something that is artsy or something that is crude but something that is just refined enough while still tough as nails that functions in about any situation.

What brought about this evolution was the split second decision to buy a KS. To date this is probably the knife that has resonated with me most. It is not too hard and not too soft which gives it a good balance of edge retention and toughness. It is not crude and it is not elegant, well, one might argue that in a sense of profile but that is not what I mean to say. It is refined but only enough so to make it comfortable in use. It is a big knife that feels nimble and has that 'flickable' feel in hand. The grind is thin but it is not a laser. It is not really a middle weight either though but something between and almost three different knives with each third of the blade. It does everything well and nothing perfectly.

That does not mean I can not appreciate things such my HD2 because I can. This is the knife that opened my eyes to 240s, not the first that I have owned but the first to show me that they do not have to be clunky and unwieldy. This knife is more refined, in ways, than the above KS. It is a totally different knife in every way too. It whispers through everything and while not dainty isn't what I would consider a workhorse and I use that term in the sense of a knife you would take into the heat of battle not in the sense of being a hefty knife.

I can appreciate other knives like my Misono Swedish carbon "dragon" and my Fujiwara FKH. These are what I would consider workhorse knives or even warhorse knives. I have palm battened both of these knives through countless rabbit spines at this point and cracked the knuckles off of chicken drums. Coarsely chopped chocolate, minced nuts, cracked shells and the like. These knives can take a beating and with the Dragon that is particularly impressive for how thin behind the edge it is compared to its Euro counterparts.

Generally speaking I tend to like long sleek profiles that are pointy but at the same time I don't mind wider profiles at the tip so long as they are pointy as well. I like my santoku knives to be 165-180mm not 240! :P

Anyway, I am not looking to go out and buy another knife at the moment so much as I am looking to research more knives that I had never considered putting on my list and that is because my desires have evolved along this journey. Mass produced, hand made, western, eastern etc it doesn't matter. Any thoughts on knives I should add to my "list" and why you think I might like them?

I already know a few people are going to tell me to add TF to that list. It is already on the list for the future. I have one or two in mind too. But we shall see what the future holds.

Thanks for any and all recs or opinions you have to share. Even if that is knives to run from. LOL.
inzite

Re: New knives to add to my list?

Post by inzite »

a Halcyon Forge or Comet! Joe and Trey are pretty supportive of new ideas and they both deliver quality products. They are superb cutters as well.

ashy2classy

Post by ashy2classy »

inzite wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:56 pm a Halcyon Forge or Comet! Joe and Trey are pretty supportive of new ideas and they both deliver quality products. They are superb cutters as well.

This...I've been bugging the shit out of Joe and Trey (not really, but at least once a month). Still waiting. :D

Don't forget about MAZAKI. Young smith that's absolutely killing it!
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Takayuki Kengata bunka
I've got one they're fantastic little knives
Great tip
Solid heat treat
Excellent height
Good all around versatility

Can pass it your way if you want to try it.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

I thought about Mazaki but think I will wait to try one until the updated profile comes out.

Man, that choil shot looks beastly. Reminds me of more than a few other knives I have seen showcased here and elsewhere for having a "surprising' grind. I have heard a lot of good about Comet knives.

Thanks Nick, I will give it some thought! I have heard these are good performers!

Keep 'em coming.
yg420

Post by yg420 »

Check out Will Catcheside...one of the best knives ive ever used. Takes a wicked edge and keeps it forever, as tough as nails with a refined but rustic finish. Food seperation is awesome without any wedging.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

Nmiller21k wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:52 pm Takayuki Kengata bunka
I've got one they're fantastic little knives
Great tip
Solid heat treat
Excellent height
Good all around versatility

Can pass it your way if you want to try it.
Do you have smaller or larger of the Bunkas listed?
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Larger
limpet

Post by limpet »

If you get the chance, pick up a Raquin. Rustic with great grinds. Well, I’ve only used the one I have, but I like it a lot. :)

Edit: My knife maybe was a bit extra shiny, but check out his instagram. If you want knives looking like tools meant to be used, this is it, imo: https://www.instagram.com/bryanraquin

inzite

Post by inzite »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:29 pm I thought about Mazaki but think I will wait to try one until the updated profile comes out.

Man, that choil shot looks beastly. Reminds me of more than a few other knives I have seen showcased here and elsewhere for having a "surprising' grind. I have heard a lot of good about Comet knives.

Thanks Nick, I will give it some thought! I have heard these are good performers!

Keep 'em coming.
haha its a very zoomed in photo, in real life it is not as beastly but it goes from an ok thick spine down to super thin edge real nice. One of my best cutters just behind the 240 denka which has more power due to the added length and weight.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Man, I have seen most of the knives before but never gave them thought. Thanks for point them out! Particularly when it comes to western makers I have no idea which way to go! Seems I have a start now. But two of these makers knives came up elsewhere, second hand, and sold quickly. Seems chance is a BIG part of it with some of them. That and having $800 on hand. :P

Now I am off to check some of these out.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

limpet wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:48 pm If you get the chance, pick up a Raquin. Rustic with great grinds. Well, I’ve only used the one I have, but I like it a lot. :)

Edit: My knife maybe was a bit extra shiny, but check out his instagram. If you want knives looking like tools meant to be used, this is it, imo: https://www.instagram.com/bryanraquin
I had a chance to use one of Bryan's knives on a pass around he did. Love the rustic finish on his knives. The performance was over the top!
I've had an interest in his knives ever since. I need to pick up one soon because they just keep going up in price! They sell fast when he posts them.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Have you tried a Takeda yet?
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:38 pm Have you tried a Takeda yet?
Nope, came into the game late and I have read some stuff that makes me cautious about the newer offerings. But I have not really gone to seek one either.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:53 pm
Nope, came into the game late and I have read some stuff that makes me cautious about the newer offerings. But I have not really gone to seek one either.
Those KKF guys can be brutal...Not that there have not been issues, but any issue seems to be exacerbated to the 10th degree for any knife sold on cktg. I have had three and never had an issue. But, IMO a Takeda is a must try for a jknife enthusiast.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:57 pm
Kit Craft wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:53 pm
Those KKF guys can be brutal...Not that there have not been issues, but any issue seems to be exacerbated to the 10th degree for any knife sold on cktg. I have had three and never had an issue. But, IMO a Takeda is a must try for a jknife enthusiast.
Might have to go second hand to get one in the size shape etc that I would be looking for but added to the list!
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Also...I know you like your lasers...have you played with a Carter yet? Even the Muteki guys are pretty dang good.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:03 pm Also...I know you like your lasers...have you played with a Carter yet? Even the Muteki guys are pretty dang good.
Nope. You know, I really haven't given it much thought. I really don't know why though. Surely it should be on my list.
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

+1 On the takedas, very unique knives. I don't know if you have been using Sanjo style knives, I've used a few and like them a lot, yoshikane, shigefusa, wakui, yahiko, hinoura...great steels, some heft, very thin behind the edges, amazing distal taper, long flat spots on the profiles. And they all came with great fit and finish, even the cheaper ones.
inzite

Post by inzite »

Kit Craft wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:29 pm Man, I have seen most of the knives before but never gave them thought. Thanks for point them out! Particularly when it comes to western makers I have no idea which way to go! Seems I have a start now. But two of these makers knives came up elsewhere, second hand, and sold quickly. Seems chance is a BIG part of it with some of them. That and having $800 on hand. :P

Now I am off to check some of these out.
if you want one i can help pull some strings :P