Yahiko Nashiji vs. Masakage Yuki gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Booyah

Yahiko Nashiji vs. Masakage Yuki gyuto

Post by Booyah »

1) home cook
2) gyuto
3) 210
4) <$250
5) stainless clad over carbon
6) Wa handle
7) Kanehide PS60 210 gyuto, Takamura Migaki R2 150 petty
8) good
9) push/pull mostly
10) still learning how to sharpen and enjoying it

So I've decided that I would like to try white steel for my next knife. I have it narrowed down (I think) to these two knives. The Yuki appears to be very popular and gets terrific reviews everywhere you look. The Yahiko, on the other hand, does not have many reviews. I did read that it has a thinner tip than the Yuki and I think I would enjoy that more. I also believe that I would like the octagonal handle better than the oval. However, I just can't push the "buy" button without learning more. Can anyone here compare/contrast these two knives and help me out? I know I shouldn't say this but I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks in advance for the help!
PaulME

Re: Yahiko Nashiji vs. Masakage Yuki gyuto

Post by PaulME »

Since the Yuki is out of stock maybe the decision is easier?
Have a Yuki which I really like but have no experience with the Yahiko, but from the video it sounds nice.
On handles I personally prefer oval but would not really affect my buying decision, bother work fine for me.
Good looking CKTG
Paul
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

I believe Yuki's have more of a continuous curve to them. That seems more like a profile for pull cut/glide cut for the 210mm, I'm guessing.
The Yahiko's are probably the best 210mm knife for choppers/push cutters, as it has the largest flat spot of any 210mm gyuto I've experienced.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I have a 240mm Yuki and have used the Yahiko. They're both nice lines, but best suit different buyers. The Yuki is very much a jack of all trades with a neutral profile and a slightly thinner grind. The Yahiko is a more extreme knife that will appeal to people with specific cutting styles. Beyond the profile I want to say the tips are similarly thin and the Yahiko's heel is a bit beefier, which is not really better or worse but just different.

I would suggest the Yuki over the Yahiko any time the buyer is uncertain. To get the most out of the Yahiko you need to be devoted to push curting because it has a ludicrously long flat spot, to the point of absurdity, to the point most people can't really be expected to use most of it. The Yuki still push cuts well, and does many other things well besides. The Yahiko does have a slightly nicer handle.

I would also suggest you consider a Makoto 210mm. I consider it an almost line for line improvement on the Yuki, particularly the handle. There is also a badly undervalued Goko 210mm well within budget that would be an excellent choice if you want a beefier knife to contrast the Kanehide.
old onion

Post by old onion »

I have the Yuki in 210 and 240. I bought the 210 first and liked it so well,turned around and bought the 240 also. I don't really get hung up so much on lengths as I find they both fit in to what I want to do.While I like both these knive,I will say that I even have the Yahiko Nashiji in mind for a later purchase and even have it bookmarked.I probably won't get it though as I have enough knives but I like what I see in the video about it and I absolutely love the White steel for the sharpness and the ease of sharpening.Either way,I don't think you could go wrong.Still a lot of knives out there to keep your mind busy for a while though.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

As Lepus notes, the Yahiko is definitely a push cutting and chopping knife. It's one of my favs, but I would not buy it as my sole or main knife. Not an especially good rocker on fresh herbs, for instance. The Yuki is definitely more a jack of all trades.

But ... if you use your Kanehide for herbs and want a push cutting machine ... Yahiko. Great looks, nice F&F, excellent steel that sharpens easily and holds a good edge. Handle is also lightly sealed, unlike the Yuki. I like the Yuki rose ferrule more, however. Nice touch.

I have written frequently about the Yahiko. See the passaround thread. There are links to other threads as well.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5031
Jeffry B
cwillett

Post by cwillett »

I have the 240mm version of the Yahiko and love it. It is my only gyuto and I have no problem using it for most kitchen tasks. The 240mm has a very long flat spot, as others have said, but I don't see this as being a deal breaker for a generalist knife. Fine herbs are about the worst thing for the knife, but even that isn't a big deal. The 210 version should be a great knife for you, but if you're looking to do a lot of rocking it probably isn't the best choice for you.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Lepus wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:40 am I have a 240mm Yuki and have used the Yahiko. They're both nice lines, but best suit different buyers. The Yuki is very much a jack of all trades with a neutral profile and a slightly thinner grind. The Yahiko is a more extreme knife that will appeal to people with specific cutting styles. Beyond the profile I want to say the tips are similarly thin and the Yahiko's heel is a bit beefier, which is not really better or worse but just different.

I would suggest the Yuki over the Yahiko any time the buyer is uncertain. To get the most out of the Yahiko you need to be devoted to push curting because it has a ludicrously long flat spot, to the point of absurdity, to the point most people can't really be expected to use most of it. The Yuki still push cuts well, and does many other things well besides. The Yahiko does have a slightly nicer handle.

I would also suggest you consider a Makoto 210mm. I consider it an almost line for line improvement on the Yuki, particularly the handle. There is also a badly undervalued Goko 210mm well within budget that would be an excellent choice if you want a beefier knife to contrast the Kanehide.
Rob how does the yahiko taper on the spine. Does it dramatically thin after the heel or stay thicker and taper slower. From the specs it seems quite thick at the heel, right. But the knife still seems to be more of a middle weight by specs.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

On paper the specs for the Yahiko and Yuki are nearly identical. The biggest difference here for me in these two knives is the profile. I rarely ever rock anymore for anything. If you are a push/pull cutter and chopper I like the grind, more convexing, and profile of the Yahiko better. If like to rock at times along with other techniques the Yuki might work better for you. The Yahiko will do some rocking too though if rocking is somewhat of a rarity so even that might not come into play.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Booyah

Post by Booyah »

Lepus wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:40 am I have a 240mm Yuki and have used the Yahiko. They're both nice lines, but best suit different buyers. The Yuki is very much a jack of all trades with a neutral profile and a slightly thinner grind. The Yahiko is a more extreme knife that will appeal to people with specific cutting styles. Beyond the profile I want to say the tips are similarly thin and the Yahiko's heel is a bit beefier, which is not really better or worse but just different.

I hadnt seen the Makoto before. Thanks for the reccomendation!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Booyah wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:19 pm I hadnt seen the Makoto before. Thanks for the reccomendation!
I was at a friends house used a Makoto that he had bought. I ordered one as soon as I got home, they are that good.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I don't remember how the Yahiko tapers down the spine, but I do remember the weight and how the grind felt. It is squarely a middle weight and its balance is not too far out. The tip doesn't have the weight for it to be a purebread chopper, but with a heavier hand it will chop capably and confidently. Nice tip, too.
Booyah

Post by Booyah »

jbart65 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:19 am As Lepus notes, the Yahiko is definitely a push cutting and chopping knife. It's one of my favs, but I would not buy it as my sole or main knife. Not an especially good rocker on fresh herbs, for instance. The Yuki is definitely more a jack of all trades.

But ... if you use your Kanehide for herbs and want a push cutting machine ... Yahiko. Great looks, nice F&F, excellent steel that sharpens easily and holds a good edge. Handle is also lightly sealed, unlike the Yuki. I like the Yuki rose ferrule more, however. Nice touch.

I have written frequently about the Yahiko. See the passaround thread. There are links to other threads as well.

Thanks for the help! I'm really leaning toward the Yahiko because, as you pointed out, I have another gyuto to use when needed. I also plan on trying AS steel for my third knife (I really want a Kurosaki laser), so i can afford to experiment a little. I like the Makoto but I think it might be similar to the Kurosaki that I want. I believe that I have officially fallen down the rabbit hole!
Booyah

Post by Booyah »

Jeff B wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:56 pm On paper the specs for the Yahiko and Yuki are nearly identical. The biggest difference here for me in these two knives is the profile. I rarely ever rock anymore for anything. If you are a push/pull cutter and chopper I like the grind, more convexing, and profile of the Yahiko better. If like to rock at times along with other techniques the Yuki might work better for you. The Yahiko will do some rocking too though if rocking is somewhat of a rarity so even that might not come into play.
My cutting style seems similar to yours. I don’t rock often, mostly push/pull cut. You mentioned that you liked the grind of the Yahiko better. Can you expand on that thought?
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Booyah wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:40 am
jbart65 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:19 am As Lepus notes, the Yahiko is definitely a push cutting and chopping knife. It's one of my favs, but I would not buy it as my sole or main knife. Not an especially good rocker on fresh herbs, for instance. The Yuki is definitely more a jack of all trades.

Thanks for the help! I'm really leaning toward the Yahiko because, as you pointed out, I have another gyuto to use when needed. I also plan on trying AS steel for my third knife (I really want a Kurosaki laser), so i can afford to experiment a little. I like the Makoto but I think it might be similar to the Kurosaki that I want. I believe that I have officially fallen down the rabbit hole!
If you want a kuro laser. I'm selling one. They r not a knife that stocks frequently. They r kind of hard to get.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Booyah wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:52 am
Jeff B wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:56 pm On paper the specs for the Yahiko and Yuki are nearly identical. The biggest difference here for me in these two knives is the profile. I rarely ever rock anymore for anything. If you are a push/pull cutter and chopper I like the grind, more convexing, and profile of the Yahiko better. If like to rock at times along with other techniques the Yuki might work better for you. The Yahiko will do some rocking too though if rocking is somewhat of a rarity so even that might not come into play.
My cutting style seems similar to yours. I don’t rock often, mostly push/pull cut. You mentioned that you liked the grind of the Yahiko better. Can you expand on that thought?
If you look at the choil shots of the two knives you can see the higher grind with better convexing of the Yahiko which gives you a little better food separation and release. Pictures can only tell you so much but the Yahiko just performs better than the Yuki in my experience.
I noticed you have an interest in the Kurosaki Laser. It is an excellent knife and will have a lot of overlap with the Makoto.
Good luck in your decision but I think your going to be happy regardless of the direction chosen! And this rabbit hole turns into a big sink hole too! ;)
Booyah

Post by Booyah »

Jeff B wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 12:28 pm
Booyah wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 7:52 am
If you look at the choil shots of the two knives you can see the higher grind with better convexing of the Yahiko which gives you a little better food separation and release. Pictures can only tell you so much but the Yahiko just performs better than the Yuki in my experience.
I noticed you have an interest in the Kurosaki Laser. It is an excellent knife and will have a lot of overlap with the Makoto.
Good luck in your decision but I think your going to be happy regardless of the direction chosen! And this rabbit hole turns into a big sink hole too! ;)
Thanks for the info! I am really leaning toward the Yahiko now. If the Makoto is that similar to the Kurosaki laser then I am going to pass on that one. The Kurosaki is a knife that I’ve been watching for quite some time. I’m ready to pull the trigger on it as soon as it is back in stock. I’m hooked!
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

That Yahiko is frickin awesome. The only caveat is you have to like a flat spot, which I do. It’s very unique and very versatile. It can rock just fine imo.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I think the Yahiko and Kurosaki Laser would be a good combination.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

To argue the other side, I think the Yuki is being sold short here.

To start, the Yuki is itself an excellent chopper. Yes, the Yahiko has a longer flat spot. I have never used my Yuki and wished it had a longer flat spot. How often do you find onions that are 15cm in diameter? The Yuki has as much chopping length as I can use as a professional cook. When I used the Yahiko one of the faults I found was that the flat spot is so long as to be superfluous, a waste of real estate that could have been used to make the knife even more versatile.

I also don't think the grind on the Yahiko is better than my Yuki. Admittedly I seem to like my Yuki a lot more than most people, to the point it becomes difficult to think we are discussing the same knife, but any Yuki certainly has less convexing than the Yahiko because it is a concave ground knife. My other concave ground knives are my Konosuke Fujiyama and Makoto. The three are among the very best cutting knives I have used. I do think the Yahiko's grind is more complex because the tip and heel do feel somewhat distinct, but that doesn't in my experience make it flat out better. The Yuki is thin behind the edge and cuts like a razor.

The Yahiko is a great choice if you want a novel profile, a top notch nashiji, a nicer handle, and a more nuanced grind. But that comes at a premium over the Yuki, which sharpens just as well or better, still cuts magnificently, and gives you a more versatile profile.

-----

As a side note, I'm not sure how similar I think the Makoto and Yu Kurosaki really are despite appearances. I certainly would not consider them interchangable. I have tried a few Kurosaki knives and as nice as they are, my Makoto's ground even better.