Upgrading from Tojiro

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
jdwhitak

Upgrading from Tojiro

Post by jdwhitak »

Hello,

I've been using the same three Tojiro knives since 2012. I have a Nakiri, Gyuto and a Petty. I think I'm ready for something nicer. Of the three knives I really don't use the Gyuto. What should I look at brand wise? Also is there another type of knife I might consider getting to replace my seldom used Gyuto?

Thanks!
Jeff B

Re: Upgrading from Tojiro

Post by Jeff B »

As far as brands go there are numerous quality brands. Best to decide the type and qualities of the knife you want and go from there.

Might consider a Bunka to replace your Gyuto. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/bannobunkas.html
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

"Of the three knives I really don't use the Gyuto."

Wow! Gyutos are all I got...

Too many outstanding knives. What do you like about your Tojiros? What do you wish were better?
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

It would help if you said what qualities you want in a knife, the way you use a knife (rock chopper, push cutter, etc), and price range.

Tojiro too heavy, too light? Too long, too short, too tall, not enough of a chopper, rocker. Want a keener edge, more edge retention?