Looking for a carbon steel gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Pandanucca

Looking for a carbon steel gyuto

Post by Pandanucca »

1)Pro or home cook?
Both

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Gyuto

3) What size knife do you want?
210-240mm

4)How much do you want to spend?
Up to $300

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
All carbon or clad carbon

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Western

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Zwilling J.A. Henckels and Wusthof 8"

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Rocker and chopper

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
Yes
Jeff B

Re: Looking for a carbon steel gyuto

Post by Jeff B »

Given the minimal choices of yo handled carbon knives I suggest trying a wa handle and this knife,
Kanehiro AS Gyuto 240mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ka24wa.html
They just got back in stock today and fit well in a pro and home environment.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Pandanucca

Post by Pandanucca »

Jeff B wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:19 pm Given the minimal choices of yo handled carbon knives I suggest trying a wa handle and this knife,
Kanehiro AS Gyuto 240mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ka24wa.html
They just got back in stock today and fit well in a pro and home environment.
Would this be allowed in a professional kitchen since it has a wood handle? Every kitchen I've been in hasn't had a single wood handled knife yet and I recall reading something about it but I don't remember exactly.
Seems like a nice knife though and appreciate the recommendation
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Lots of guys on this forum work in pro kitchens and use wood handle knives. Best to check with your boss about your specific workplace.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Pandanucca

Post by Pandanucca »

Jeff B wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:59 pm Lots of guys on this forum work in pro kitchens and use wood handle knives. Best to check with your boss about your specific workplace.
Would I still have to oil the blade since it's mostly clad in stainless steal? And which oil would you recommend for the handle if any? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

No need to oil the blade, AS is one of the lesser reactive carbons, it should patina nicely without much risk of rust. Just wipe the blade with a damp cloth after completing a task then wash and dry thoroughly when you are through with it.
You don't have to oil the handle, but if you prefer to you can use mineral oil or a mineral oil/beeswax mix on the handle to seal it or use something more permanent like Tru-Oil, very easy to use. I like to seal them with Tru-Oil, it give them a very nice finish without making it slick and keeps the wood from staining or getting dirty.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

I love the knife Jeff recommended.

The point about limited yo-handled selection is also valid. Here are pretty much all your options: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/weha24gy.html

Unfortunately, very few of the yo-handled knives are all carbon or carbon core, stainless clad. There are some stellar knives in there though. I am but a mere home cook but in my imagination, should I ever need a knife for pro work, this would be on my shortlist: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hasrgy24.html

I have heard some pro users mention health code headaches or bosses that are not open to wa-handles...like Jeff said, ask the boss.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The Harukaze is a very good knife if you don't mind going the PM steel route. It is definitely a proven knife in the pro kitchen.

Another option would be the Kohetsu AS Western Gyuto 240mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kowegy24.html
This knife is popular with many pro cooks but be aware that the stainless cladding is known to scratch easy if that matters.
And you still have to deal with a Mahogany wood handle. Even the Harukaze SRS15 has a pakkawood handle.

If the boss has no problem with the Cherry/Pakkawood handle the Kanehiro is the way to go.
Pandanucca

Post by Pandanucca »

Wood handles aren't a problem so I will probably be ordering one of these knives, most likely the Kohetsu AS Western Gyuto since it has a yo handle which I am more familiar with.
Should I also order the recommended saya for it as well? Thanks for all your help guys
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Pandanucca wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:59 pm ...Should I also order the recommended saya for it as well?
It's a good thing to have if the knife is going to be traveling though not an absolute necessity, but at the very least get an edge guard.
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

Jeff B wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:06 pm It's a good thing to have if the knife is going to be traveling though not an absolute necessity, but at the very least get an edge guard.
+1

Not necessary but damn useful on the go.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Pandanucca wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:59 pm Wood handles aren't a problem so I will probably be ordering one of these knives, most likely the Kohetsu AS Western Gyuto since it has a yo handle which I am more familiar with.
Should I also order the recommended saya for it as well? Thanks for all your help guys
The Kohetsu knives are great values, but if you've never tried a wa handled knife I would highly recommend one. I used Western handled knives for 30 years and made the switch overnight.

Look, a great handle is a great handle. But a wa handle is much lighter and that opens up more choices for a knife maker. Wa handled knives tend to be much lighter and lessen the risk of fatigue.

If I were a pro, the Kanehiro would be at the top of my list. Also the Kohetsu AS or Hap40.
Jeffry B
Pandanucca

Post by Pandanucca »

Purchased the Kohetsu but will definitely look into the Kanehiro and other wa handle knives when I need to buy another one.

I have edge guards for my current knives but didn't know if sayas offered something that an edge guard doesn't especially for $30. I did end up getting the suggested saya for the knife though so I'll see how that is.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I don’t have any sayas. I’ll get one eventually for a travel knife, but edge guards or plastic sheath protectors work fine.
Jeffry B
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

Congrats on the new purchase. Let us know how it works for you.
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I think sayas do particularly well with carbon knives. Unfinished wood absorbs moisture from the environment. I have not often had oxidation issues with other blade guards, but I have never had trouble when using a saya.