Finished work

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Willison_Knives

Finished work

Post by Willison_Knives »

I'm just going to start posting in this thread, my finished knives.

Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
milkbaby

Re: Finished work

Post by milkbaby »

Nice, I like the contrast on the blade between the hand sanded bevel and the top flat. Dig the natural void on the handle too.

I usually dig the rustic look, but you gotta do something about your maker's mark because it looks like an amateur dremel job which really detracts from the rest of the knife in my opinion. I think you should hit up Tustech or other company for a good stencil, Buckeye engraving for a stamp, or simplify your mark to an angular "DW" that is simple and easily reproducible versus anything cursive or handwritten looking.
Willison_Knives

milkbaby wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:00 am Nice, I like the contrast on the blade between the hand sanded bevel and the top flat. Dig the natural void on the handle too.

I usually dig the rustic look, but you gotta do something about your maker's mark because it looks like an amateur dremel job which really detracts from the rest of the knife in my opinion. I think you should hit up Tustech or other company for a good stencil, Buckeye engraving for a stamp, or simplify your mark to an angular "DW" that is simple and easily reproducible versus anything cursive or handwritten looking.
You know, I thought this was the best makers mark I have made. I agree that etching with a professional stencil is stupid proof, andeasy to reproduce the same image over and over. But I like the idea of using a dremel. I know it isn't the prettiest job, but I feel I'm getting better at it. Regardless, it's a skill in its self and more unique then an etched imagine, which everyone does. That being said, I may still abandon it one day lol
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I have to agree about sonething else for your makers mark. I think it detracts from what looks to be a nice knive, with a classy handle.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

See Dakota? I'm not the only one bugging over this! :)
milkbaby

Post by milkbaby »

I like this signature better han the cursive DW you've been doing, but it still doesn't look professional. If you're trying to sell your knives at a decent price, it will turn many people off. It's like showing up for a Wall Street business interview in cargo shorts, you could be brilliant but the first impression is unprofessional.

I think a very simple dremel engraving with all straight lines would look good, maybe "WK" for Willison Knives. Avoiding curves will make it more reproducible with the dremel. As an example, see the artist's signature below, "FM".

Please take my opinion as constructive criticism, not trying to discourage you at all.
Willison_Knives

milkbaby wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:12 pm I like this signature better han the cursive DW you've been doing, but it still doesn't look professional. If you're trying to sell your knives at a decent price, it will turn many people off. It's like showing up for a Wall Street business interview in cargo shorts, you could be brilliant but the first impression is unprofessional.

I think a very simple dremel engraving with all straight lines would look good, maybe "WK" for Willison Knives. Avoiding curves will make it more reproducible with the dremel. As an example, see the artist's signature below, "FM".

Please take my opinion as constructive criticism, not trying to discourage you at all.
I do take it as constructive criticism! I understand why it looks bad to. I'm hoping to invest in a makers mark I can etch soon.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Thezep

Post by Thezep »

Lookin good bruthu! What kind of wood is that handle and how did you finish it?
For a makers mark I have a cheap and easy solution until you can get an etching kit or a custom stamp. I use these stamps, there's a ton of different designs to pick from and a few different fonts of letters so you can get something that doesn't look boring. I just stamp T and S with my logo in between. You can also stamp the type of steel without spending 100$ on a new stamp for every steel since you get a full alphabet. They even have a little jig to hold the stamp for 13$ or so, just be sure to get the right size for your stamps.

https://www.amazon.com/ImpressArt-Bridg ... =srch&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/ImpressArt-Cross ... 85&sr=8-64

https://www.amazon.com/ImpressArt-Simpl ... HJCQC40K7T
J david

Post by J david »

I can help you in the short term with your makers Mark. I have a laser engraver. I can put pretty much anything on there. I would be happy to help, just drop me a PM if you are interested.
Willison_Knives

J david wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:12 pm I can help you in the short term with your makers Mark. I have a laser engraver. I can put pretty much anything on there. I would be happy to help, just drop me a PM if you are interested.
Hey, thanks for the offer!
Didn't notice this till just now.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Willison_Knives

Been awhile since I have put anything up. Got some stuff finished this month to show.

First is a reshape and new handle. So it has my old makers mark.

Next is some newly made blades with a new mark.

Thanks for looking.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Willison_Knives

Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Willison_Knives

Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Willison_Knives

Last one for now. This one is finished and sold, but im offering them as a made to order item. Let me know if you want details

Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Nice job! I am happy to know I have one of your early works tucked away on my knife bar.
Willison_Knives

Bensbites wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:43 pm Nice job! I am happy to know I have one of your early works tucked away on my knife bar.
Thanks! Glade I got one of your handles still. It will go on a knife I eventually make for myself to keep.
Dakota J. Willison
Willison Knives
ButlerHoosierChef

Post by ButlerHoosierChef »

Those are beautiful! Nice work!
timos

Post by timos »

dude, you gotta post more here. you have some awesome looking stuff on your instagram!
Tim Johnson
Oxford, MA

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few”
--s. suzuki
Web: http://www.timothyjohnsonknives.com
Email: tim@blackstoneknife.com
Instagram: @timostheos
slobound

Post by slobound »

timos wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:16 pm dude, you gotta post more here. you have some awesome looking stuff on your instagram!
Agreed! Knives are lookin’ good.
-- Garrick
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

timos wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:16 pm dude, you gotta post more here. you have some awesome looking stuff on your instagram!
Completely agree!
And to think you were ready to through in the towel about a year ago!
Last edited by Jeff B on Tue May 22, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.