Yahiko White #2 Hammered 240

See what's happening with current or completed "Pass Arounds". Forum members occasionally send knives or sharpening stones around to a hand selected group of participants for short term use and feedback/reviews.
Chefspence

Re: Yahiko White #2 Hammered 240

Post by Chefspence »

gastro gnome wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:19 pm
Chefspence wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:49 pm I feel like I always screw up the passarounds. I’m about the only guy from the Midwest, besides datster :lol:
Sorry spence, I sat this one out.
You too, that’s right. So 4 Of us from the Midwest?
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

I'm from the Midwest...but I'm usually passing knifes
J david

Post by J david »

Waiting on a couple of addresses and we'll get this one started.
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Nmiller21k wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:00 pm I'm from the Midwest...but I'm usually passing knifes
True. Ok. There’s more than I thought. McNelly is too I think. Anyhow I still think we’re usually the oddballs in the rotation.
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Miso is out here too
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Nmiller21k wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 9:05 am Miso is out here too
starting to look like a small majority, to me...
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

Bbarth
And a couple others are in the twin cities metro as well
J david

Post by J david »

Alright folks, I'm getting this started today. Here is the order, I will PM addresses to everyone involved.

1) Altadan
2) nakneker
3) CacahauteSommelier
4) easilver
5) Igalor
6) Chefspence
7) keithmarder
8) Jbart65
9) Lepus
10) Cjmeik

If I left anybody out, please let me know and we will get you in. I am still waiting for nakneker's address, so I will make sure Dan gets it before he is finished with the knife.

Sharpen as needed and have fun! This knife likes to be driven.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Looking forward to it!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Man am I ever ready fo it. Patience, I know!
Lepus

Post by Lepus »

I'm looking forward to it myself. All of the Yahikos I've been trying recently have been great experiences.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Knife arrived in good order.
She's got a confident heft about her, and her looks are... serious. This blade looks like it can blow through anything. Nothing dainty about this beast.
I'll have chop us some cabbage soon enough :)
Chefspence

Post by Chefspence »

Altadan wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:55 am Knife arrived in good order.
She's got a confident heft about her, and her looks are... serious. This blade looks like it can blow through anything. Nothing dainty about this beast.
Yes do the cabbage please!!
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Chefspence wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 5:15 pm
Altadan wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:55 am Knife arrived in good order.
Yes do the cabbage please!!
Spence,
I'm no pro cook, and my own technique is nowhere close to bringing out this blade's fullest, but from what I did get to do with it to that cabbage I can tell you that she. is. a slayer :o
Later that evening I also carved out a butternut squash and... wow. No stickage what. so. ever :P I've videos of it, but I'm a little shy. They ain't for showing off me, just an audio-visual of the knife... we'll see
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Alright,

First impressions:
- Woah, it's heavy! Hold on, it's actually not really as heavy as it is blade heavy
- The wavy KU, together with the forward weight and 250mm of length makes this knife look beastly.
- This knife really IS beastly.
- Handle is light, and there's a very slight step at the ferrule (completely negligible)
- Choil is eased only just a bit. Could be smoother in my taste, but fine, really.
- Spine is not eased, but surprisingly - having cut some hard product - I felt no need for it.
Capture1.JPG

Aesthetics
I really dig the hammered, wavy KU.
The kanji is attractive as well.
The stainless cladding, however, was somewhat tarnished (yellow\brown), and every time I picked her up I thought I'd just go ahead an clean her off. I didn't. If she were mine, maybe then.
The handle is not simple ho (right?), and has some gentle grain. It works nicely, but I think a darker - even black - handle would make this blade even more wicked looking.

IMG_20180526_1645273502.jpg
Performance
The Yahiko did not have to jump hoops during this visit. Only cabbage, butternut, lots of garlic (as usual), some potatoes (no sweet pots this week :( ) shrooms, and some carrots.
Carrots, I noticed today, were simply flying gracefully off the blade face at mid-height, never once climbing all the way up and rappelling down the other side. I was so impressed I took a photo of it;
Capture2.JPG
On the cabbage I was really struck by the edge David sent it with. It had such a grip on the cabbage - such bite! - and yet, for all her thickness she just cruised through it. Certainly much more than most other knives I've tried.
On the butternut squash I was even more surprised. I usually opt of my Tanaka B#2 on squash, and suffer through the stickage... some finger-flicking of peels is not the end of the world. This Yahiko, however... wow. Just watch the vid :)

https://youtu.be/w3Hp1fGx6Vs

Mmmm... what else should I say?
This knife was striking. It feels heavy (but not at all too much), aggressive, powerful, and I know I only took it out for a stroll. It didn't break a sweat in my kitchen.
The White #2 held up nicely, and after all that chopping could still slice a very ripe tomato for salad this morning with relative ease and finesse.
If could put a different handle on it, I would, but it's not a deal breaker at all.
I think I can say this knife punches well above its price point, but I'm happy to defer to the others to follow on this passaround.
Would I buy one of these? You know what, if money wasn't an issue for me - I'd say yes! I've never really experience food release on this level before, and I gotta say it's appealing.
In any case, my birthday is in a couple of weeks, so if anyone here wants to.. you know... then.. eh.. :roll: yeah. Kitayama, or an Inox cleaver, or... oh whatever :lol:

David, thank you very much for the opportunity.
I'll ship it out to nakneker tomorrow.
Cheers,
Dan
MisoSatisfried

Post by MisoSatisfried »

Great insight, thanks! I'm glad to hear it as I was terrified with its low grind it would be a wedge prone beast.
I'm Dave. I don't take myself too seriously and you probably shouldn't either.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

MisoSatisfried wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:51 pm Great insight, thanks! I'm glad to hear it as I was terrified with its low grind it would be a wedge prone beast.
Approaching the knife with some respect, knowing that "she likes to be driven" as David stated, I found that being assertive brings beautiful results ;)
No problem being gentle with the gentle ingredients, either
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Wow, these knives remind me so much of the Itto-Ryus, except with lower grinds and more beefy. To my unsophisticated eye, though, the looks and construction are very similar.
CacahuateSommelier

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

Bear 🐻 with me for a few moments.......

I don’t mean to get dramatic or sappy ....... but my 3yr old daughter had a seiszure (for the 1st time) last weekend and at the time she was completely unresponsive and breathing was sooo minimal that we could not tell at 530am, so we actually were terrified. I was honestly mortified that I may have just picked up my dead daughters lifeless body out o bed. Needless to say..... I’ve had a rough week..... not sure when the knife arrived but I’m getting around to using it this weekend

If you pray..... please keep my daughter in your prayers.... and if you don’t, just keep her in your thoughts & hope for the best
J david

Post by J david »

I don't know what to say except don't worry about the knife, nobody is missing it. I sincerely hope all is well with your family and can't imagine how you are feeling right now. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. Best wishes.